Oh god the taste

I was really looking forward to using Huel as a meal replacement for work. First uses, I always use the blender, add ice and make a smoothie. In the first one, I used cinnamon to add flavor. The second time I used instant coffee and vanilla extract. But honestly, I am finding the taste to god awful. the second time it actually made me gag. I purchased the vanilla. what can I do to improve the taste/experience?

Do you mix in water or milk? If water, how much water do you use, and how many scoops?

I find 12oz of milk with 1 scoop taste fine.
and 20oz of cold water with 3 scoops also taste fine

I’ve even added 1 scoop of Huel and 1 scoop of Whey to 16oz of milk, and that tasted fine too.

I’m a very picky eater, and I find the taste of Huel to be okay…

Do you use the UK version? Is your Huel expired?

2 Likes

I’ve always had trouble drinking most weight gaining/protein shakes, and the first time I tried Huel I thought it wasn’t going to be any different. When it comes to eating food I’m huge on texture, so the super thick shakes always made me gag, and I’d end up pouring it out before finishing it. But with the Huel I’ve found that cold water and about 24 oz of water for 3 scoops and its like I’m drinking water. I tend to drink them fast, even with the 24 oz, because I’ve found the longer it sits the thicker it gets. If the taste is still getting to you, I would suggest trying some cocoa powder

2 Likes

I just recently tried putting about a table spoon and a half of penut butter and a full banana in my shakes (blending them) and it completely changes the taste! I’m used to drinking protein shakes so the taste to me wasent too bad but now I can’t wait to drink them!!

2 Likes

First of all, I don’t use the bottle with the mesh insert, I fix Huel in my NutriBullet. Shaking that bottle will never get it mixed enough. I’ve done many things to add flavor, try a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter and/or chocolate syrup — you don’t need much. My latest discovery which I LOVE is to use Cranberry Juice or Cran-Raspberry or Cran-Grape PLUS a scoop of peanut butter (about 1 Tbs.) and the powder and 4-5 ice cubes — tastes like a PB&J sandwich. Don’t have juice? Jelly or jam works too. I’ve also used fresh berries with banana or fresh mango or mango juice. A little cinnamon and/or vanilla extract helps too. If I really want a treat, I throw in a splash of non-dairy coffee creamer, it makes it very rich.

3 Likes

Cranberry juice + peanut butter + Huel? @HandbagJunkie, I must say, you’ve got me very intrigued about this combo. I’m always down for a good pb&j. I’ll def be testing this one out. :yum:

1 Like

Hi Dee :wave: We’re sorry the shaker didn’t provide the consistency you were looking for - everyone is different and while the shaker is a great, convenient option for many of our Huelers, some may prefer their Huel blended and that’s a-okay with us! I just wanted to clarify though that for any new Huelers reading our forum, shaken or blended is simply a preference and there is no single way to enjoy Huel.

2 Likes

I had to mix it with flavor boosts come day 2. I agree the taste is bad, however I found some good flavor boosts at Natural Grocers and also on Amazon. I use a Banana flavor boost which is soy based and is about 85 calories. Also I cut the mix of huel. I was doing the full 3 scoops and the flavor pack and it still tasted bland. I changed to two scoops and the flavor pack, and it tastes so much better. Also I got the power chocolate peanut butter. It is great. And the calorie count is the same as 3 scoops. It really helps. Try different things out and see what works. But for me that seems to be working. And I am using them as meal substitutes for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, with a snack of about 250 calories at most. The first few days are rough. Lets be honest, but it is going much better now that I have some more flavor to go with.

So far, I have tried the vanilla, the unflavored (Can’t drink it on it’s own yet…) and 50/50 of the two, which is good. If I used the unflavored, and added a little peanut butter, do you think that would be sufficient for something tasty? Or, what things have others done with the unflavored to make it great? (without adding too many sugary ingredients like fruit)

1 Like

I’m on my 2nd week of Huel and have to say I like the taste. I have the unflavored and it has a nice oat taste to it. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth so maybe that’s why I like it. I’ve been using Huel for Breakfast and Lunch and have a normal dinner,

Can’t wait for my next Huel!!!

1 Like

I like to do the half-half mix of vanilla and unflavored huel, and add a little bit of a product called Iso-Splash (it’s on Amazon). A few of us on the board have tried Iso-Splash. I’d say about 2/3 of us liked it. But there were a few that didn’t, so it’s not a guarantee. And not all flavors tasted as good. In general, we liked the cereal milk and vanilla birthday cake the best. I personally really like adding the cinnamon bun flavor to my huel along with a little bit of pumpkin pie spice. (Pumpkin Pie spice added to vanilla huel is also pretty good.)

My favorite unflavored is:

2 scoops U/U Huel + half milk/ half water + 2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce + peanut butter + cinnamon bun Iso-Splash

1 Like

I love being dyslexic sometimes. I had to read this three times before it resolved that you weren’t mixing “half-half of vodka and unflavored huel”.

2 Likes

Here are some forum threads for unflavored/unsweetened Huel hacks:
How to improve unflavored Huel
Tell us your unflavored Huel hacks!
Sweetening your unflavored unsweetened Huel

Hope these help you, @Hueler!

1 Like

Refrigeration helps, make them the night before and keep them in the fridge. I like mine with hot chocolate.

2 Likes

Yes half and half of Huel powder is good , I second this. half vanilla and regular and half vanilla almond milk and water too. With cinnamon or my new flavour is Nesquick Strawberry. Or Hersheys Strawberry syrup. 50 calories more sugar but only use this once in awhile.

Has anyone tried something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SweetLeaf-Flavored-Stevia-Sweetener-Variety/dp/B071WJ351C/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?keywords=stevia+flavored+drops+for+coffee&qid=1564451753&s=gateway&sprefix=flavored+drops+for+&sr=8-18 (I think I might) or straight coffeemate powdered creamers?

Here is my favorite mix (and it’s simple):

90-100g frozen cherries
1 banana
1 serving of Huel - I love this with chocolate, but the vanilla works great
Water (or some kind of milk, if you prefer. I’m cheap!)
Blend.

I’ve found frozen cherries to be the best fruit to mix with Huel.

I haven’t tried powdered creamer, but I’ve tried liquid and I really like it. I don’t think the powder would be drastically different.

1 Like

44fbfbba446785f4c73bfd30a1a3d400

My go to has been the chocolate huel, with chocolate protein powder and powdered peanut butter. Or vanilla with an apple and real peanut butter. Both in blender