The taste is AWFUL. JUST WRETCHED

Personally i mix two leveled scoops of vanilla huel with one tablespoon of sugar free peanut powder. It adds a few more grams of protein to the mix and makes it taste like a peanut butter smoothie. I used to mix cinnamon powder into two leveled scoops but I stopped when I got the peanut powder. Gonna try mixing the cinnamon and peanut powder into It and see what it’s like.

1 Like

Oh wow. The ol’ “Ultimate Meal”. lol. I was so excited when I discovered that stuff and then I tried it. I couldn’t tolerate more than a couple of swallows and then I threw the entire container away. That was some foul tasting stuff. Huel, on the other hand, I find delicious (taste, texture and all) and I guzzle it by the shaker full.

1 Like

@Hugo_Hyz, if you find the vanilla flavor to be too sweet, a common trick is to mix one scoop of vanilla Huel and one scoop of unflavored Huel together. This seems to be the sweet spot for people who need it taken down a notch. :slight_smile:

This will add some calories but I find using milk and adding chocolate (i have chocolate powder but you can try strawberry or raspberry) Crusha really helps. I couldn’t finish one small glass without spitting it back up. But I can drink it with milk and a small dash of Crusha.

1 Like

For me the initial taste isn’t bad but there is an unpleasant aftertaste (this is how I ended up on this post) so I’ve been looking if others had ways to mask it. To be honest, even with the after taste- I still support the product since it is healthy and cheap, a generally rare combination- but also palatable IMO.
I have the vanilla, I have tried the flavor boosts and they seem rather lack luster- I cant even taste the Caramel (I think it made the aftertaste worse) and the apple cinnamon was “meh”.
After reading through these comments, I tried adding cinnamon…like a lot…and it helps but the aftertaste is still quite potent. I used the blender today and it made the texture much better/smoother. Im curious to try the instant coffee or coffee water I see people using, I love coffee so this is my next experiment.
TLDR: For a product that is healthy and affordable, it is worth your time finding a way to make it palatable.

2 Likes

Have you tried the unflavored and unsweetened?

I’d your aftertaste problem is related to the sucralose sweetener, try U/U: it tastes like blah oatmeal if it tastes like anything at all. You like coffee? Make the u/u with coffee in place of some water. You like blueberries? Put blueberries in and that’s mostly all you’ll taste.

Seriously, If you are mixing anything into your Huel, try the U/U so you can taste what you add instead of having to overcome the flavor they added. (Yeah, maybe you’ll prefer the sweetened and flavored version, but at least TRY the u/u, k?)

If you are willing to blend your Huel ahead of time, there are many options you can do with the U/U Huel. I was a skeptic at first. But after “forcing myself” to finish my last U/U bag I came upon several good options.

By far, my favorite is to blend 2 medjool dates and a banana into my U/U Huel, the add cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. This produces no aftertaste since there is no artificial sweetener. Adding PB2 powder into this is also really nice.

4 Likes

Great points. Was the Ultimate Meal any good? Why did you stop using it? Their website is really strange that you cannot order directly from it.

You seem like a lot of fun.

Exactly but now that I have been on it alone for nearly ten weeks I no longer care. I drink it when I need some fuel and expect nothing but complete well-being, strength and energy. Still tastes like ugh to me but I am addicted to it.

Have you tried instant coffee yet? I add about 100g-120g of Huel with 500ml of water and 1 serving of instant coffee. Taste great. If you still have caramel boost, add some of that with the instant coffee and it tastes even more good.

Also found Huel gets thicker the longer it sets, so don’t take too long to drink it.

Just so you guys know, we totally hear you when it comes to the sweetness of the Vanilla Huel, so we’ve reformulated it to include less sweetener, more natural flavors and all in all a more rounded taste profile.

Let us know what you think!

2 Likes

I love the vanilla, I was surprised that is taste sweet for something that has little sugar. Tried the chocolate, not a fan of it, probably because I don’t really like chocolate. On the other hand I do love chocolate drink or dark chocolate candy bars. Perhaps for mixing chocolate with huel or something like oatmeal just don’t mix well or taste weird for me. For my personal reference, I will just stick with Vanilla. Still haven’t tried berry and unflavored yet though.

It’s cake batter! I already love it!

1 Like

I second this, no matter what anyone else says.

I am trying Huel because a certain competitor—lets say their name has something to do with soy—is unreliable at shipping orders in a timely manner. I have also used a competitor whose name starts with a V.

Huel is comparatively a real chore to drink. It tastes like grass and dirt and various powders, the vanilla flavor sits on top and is almost unnoticeable. You have to drink more than twice of the stuff for the same nutrition and it almost always has chunks no matter how well u shake it!

I dont expect a milkshake, but I know that meal replacement doesnt have to taste this bad. Dont listen to the people claiming otherwise, its really quite bad.

4 Likes

Taste is a matter of taste.

I wonder if people who hate this stuff are addicted to sugar and fat typical of Standard American Diet.

I find flavored Huel too sweet and have to cut it with U/U. I don’t freak out about a dull earthy texture. I don’t trust food science chemicals so it’s nice to have things taste like “ingredients”

2 Likes

To each their own. I’ve used Huel on and off for 3 years and I like it. I’ve tried most, but I just stick with vanilla.

1 Like

Was that supposed to be helpful??

No, I think that was a suggestion based on how he currently consumes his.

Well no. I just need it to not taste like chalk.

I’ve noticed that the U/U swallows most flavors I add to it – a whole tablespoon of honey AND 3 tablespoons of peanut butter are needed to make 2 scoops of it palatable, and I’ve found myself dumping nearly a pound of fruit into a Huel smoothie just to hide the chalk aftertaste (and so I can actually taste the fruit I’ve added). I don’t want to be consuming that much sugar with every Huel meal – diabetes runs in my family.

(I have tried the vanilla…I have to cut it with U/U as it’s too sweet on its own AND the sucralose flavor is offputting).