My first Day on Huel

Hey Y’all,

So today is my first day on Huel. I just noticed that the new flavors came out so probably going to change my order in the future. Anyways, I got the Vanilla powder.

I got the order in 3 days which is pretty quick. I followed the instructions on adding water & 3 scoops of Huel and also refrigerated it for a few hours until I came back from the gym.

To be honest, I don’t like the taste but I’ve heard that it takes a while to get used to. I have not ever drank any sort of powdered drink so this is a change.

Did anyone else have the problem with how it tastes at first? (I don’t have time to really blend and all that stuff because I come back from school and go straight to the gym before work).

The flavor profile of any powdered mix will be different whether you stir with a spoon, shake or blend. Obviously the more vigorously you mix the product the smoother it will become.

What is it about the taste you do not like? If its purely flavor, you can try adding stuff to your mix. I prefer cinnamon but there are multiple posts on here with other ideas.

Is it the chewiness? More likely than not, thats the flaxseed. It will get softer the longer you let your shake sit after mixing. Try making your shake at night and let it sit in the fridge while you are at school. It will be less chewy.

Is it too thick? Add more water.

2 Likes

I actually like the taste of the vanilla, but there are lots of easy ways to change up the flavor without blending. The easiest I have found is using Huel flavor boosts or adding a half scoop or full scoop of the flavored protein powder of your choice. Other people have tried Mio (water flavors) or spices. There are tons of ideas…or maybe you will like the new options of Berry Huel or Chocolate Huel better.

2 Likes

Maybe you would like ready-to-drink Huel?

1 Like

Thank you guys! To answer your question, @CJsDaddy the texture is not bad at all. It’s just the flavor and the smell are really strong.

@bobbins Thanks for your reply! I definitely will try out the new flavors for my next subscription period.

I got home a little earlier today than usual so, I added 3 scoops of Huel, same amount of water, but I heard Bananas also taste really good with it as well as strawberries. So, I added to the mix a 1.5 Bananas as well as 3 strawberries. I put it in the refrigerator for tomorrow morning.

Worst case scenario, if I can’t get the flavor down, I’ll either give Huel another shot with another flavor or try some alternatives.

Hopefully it’ll taste better! :slight_smile:

I’ll keep y’all in the loop!

Again, thank you everyone for replying.

Bananas are my favorite thing to add! Although I do usually blend with ice. Hope you like it.

1 Like

My personal favorite is powdered peanut butter. So delicious! I am also a major coffee addict so my other favorite is our Mocha flavor boost. And the new chai is super tasty too. Like everyone is saying, there are sooo many blender-free Huel hacks, you’ll find one that works for you! Just might take a little experimenting. :blush: Happy to have you on board! Let us know if you find a new Huel concoction that you love. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve found that leaving mixed Huel in the fridge makes it too thick. I wish I could mix it with my blender at home the night before work…

1 Like

Hey guys,

So, with the Bananas & Strawberries, it tastes amazing! I cannot even explain how much the taste changes and it is way better.

Here’s the recipe if anyone wants to try it:

• 3 Scoops of Huel
  • 14 Oz Cold Water
  • Add 1.5 Bananas
  • 3 Strawberries
  • Blend it for a bit
  • Let it refrigerate over night

@vuduray for me blending it and then putting it in the fridge is perfectly fine and not too thick. Try adding more water or let it refrigerate and then add more water when you take it out of the fridge and shake it.

But overall y’all, I’m happy I chose Huel and so far so good!

1 Like

Thanks @Andrew_Boutros! I’ll try your suggestions!

1 Like

Yes @vuduray, try adding more water while blending or when you take it out of the fridge. I always have to remind myself while blending that the Huel shake will still thicken while in the fridge, even if it looks runny after blending.

1 Like

Get a Ninja IQ bullet blender.

It’s been a game-changer for me. It’s as fast as using the shaker bottle once you get a routine down. I rinse off the blades after making the day’s 4 servings, then place it in the fridge…run it through the dishwasher whenever I have a full load.

Once you have that in hand, go visit the frozen fruit section (and even the frozen vegetable section) of your grocery store. You will find frozen smoothie mixes with acai, kale, mango, assorted berries, spinach, organic stuff, etc.

Using frozen has many benefits such as shelf life, nutritional value, cost, convenience. Just watch for ones with added sugar.

Many people don’t “love” the taste of Huel on their first day. But many adjust over a period of a few days and grow to like it more. It’s amazing how quickly we can force our taste buds (and brain) to switch preferences for food. Once you see the benefits to your body, it will reinforce consuming Huel and the taste will “merge” with the overall experience.

Kids are a good example of this. Many kids do not like spicy or peppery things. They grow to like it more as adults. THink of the things we eat as adults that we wouldn’t touch as kids.

I use half Vanilla and half unflavored (a rough 1 1/2 scoops of each) for my shakes. I have never had an issue with the taste personally, though with time I enjoy it more than when I started. I have tried cinnamon or some sort of pie spice, which is ok… I did blend with a banana with tasty success. Though I pretty always just stick with the powder.

1 Like