My experience after one bag: stomach problems

I am almost done with the first bag. Usually take it in the morning and noon, and then a full meal for dinner (not everyday). Happy with the fullness, weight loss, and nutritional value- however it causes bad gas- I was hoping it would go away after a few weeks but it did not. Some people suggested probiotics- If you know a particular strain that has helped with this particular problem let me know. Otherwise I will probably stop.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having stomach problems lately. Huel is higher in fiber than most food we typically eat. Because Huel is high in fiber sometimes this can lead to gas. Generally this settles once the gut gets used to the dietary change. However, since the issue is persisting, here’s some advice from fellow Huelers:

@edolecki, "What I have noticed is if I have Huel for breakfast and lunch - I try to have a healthy dinner. If I have something terrible like pizza, etc. for dinner, the demon arises and wishes to flute everyone with his pungent horror.

So if I do have regular food, I really try to make it healthy. That seems to keep the demon at bay. It could be a coincidence too."

@miked, “I definitely noticed more gas/gurgling with vanilla, so I started mixing 50:50 and that helped.”

@arni0202, “You can always take a Gas-X pill around the time you eat your shake to help resolve this.”

@coup, "UK Hueler here. It took my body about 6 months to adjust to Huel. At the start I had heartburn, gas, burps etc. Part of this was down to my portion size being too large at 120g. I lowered it to 90g and it made a big difference and the rest of the symptoms went over time. I now get no symptoms.

I’ve never been 100% and use Huel for 1-2 meals a day."

Hope these suggestions help! Let us know if the stomach issues persist.

1 Like

Just my two cents, I found if I don’t drink enough water throughout the day, the vanilla messes with my system a bit. Nothing unbearable, but if you ask my wife - she’ll tell you another story :laughing: so, I just make sure to get enough water in during the day. I use my spare Huel shaker to mix up some lemon juice and water - not full, maybe 200ml and then I lay it on it’s side in the freezer. This makes room for me to fill up the shaker in the morning with regular water and it stays cold with the lemon ice generally until I finish the water. Once I finish that one, I have some water flavors - or just more lemon juice that I use the second time around.

1 Like

Try the enzyme alpha-galactosidase
 it’s the same enzyme in Beano. I got the generic version from Walmart, not sure where you’re located, but they also have it on various shops online. But I take 1200 GALU before each Huel meal and I experience no gas now! Before I was clearing out the room.

1 Like

I use the GF vanilla and have much less gas. Might give that a wack.

It could be how your body is processing it, I take Enzymes by “Rainbow lite” when I eat. It helps you break down the protein/lactose/carbs/sugar
this may help.

I’ve been using Huel for 2 months, once a day. It has really had a positive effect on my energy level and mood. (I’m bipolar II) I’m committed to Huel. I love it. One problem: nonstop (sometimes explosive ) diarrhea sometimes with blood. What ingredient could possibly cause this? The sweetener? What should I do?

No food, by itself, should ever cause blood in your stool. Blood in stool is a medical condition.

Now, if a patient has hemorrhoids, then the blood is just superficial and coming from the small bleeds of those veins as the person is straining to go number 2. It would be small amounts and would be reddish in color since it comes out at the point of evacuation.

True bloody diarrhea has serious medical causes. Two prominent ones that come to mind are: 1. Clostridium Difficile infection in the colon, or 2. Gastrointestinal bleed somewhere in the GI track. (And if the GI bleed is in stomach or smaller intestines, the blood may be blackened or tar colored in the stool.) Both of these conditions are pretty serious.

2 Likes

I think it’s just hemorrhoids from having to go so often. But something in Huel is seriously messing with my digestive tract. Maybe I’ll try the unsweetened.

I have been having similar experiences with flatulence after 4 weeks on 50-75% Huel daily.
For some who ate the “standard American diet” prior, the increase in fiber content is typically the cause and goes away after your system adjusts. For me, it didn’t go away (I ate healthy before). Since a large proportion of Huel is pea protein, I hypothesized that the issue was more due to this. I have had issues with large intake of cruciferous vegetables in the past. I started taking alpha-galactosidase 2-3 times daily before I drink Huel, and after three days I’m happy to report the gas is significantly improved, if not gone completely.
Alpha-galactosodase is the active ingredient in Beano, but there are store brand nonchewable caplets that I feel helped even more.
Hope you find some relief!!

1 Like

I tried the same thing and it worked for me also!

Peas are legumes, not cruciferous vegetables. Large amounts of oats are more likely the cause of the flatulence.

1 Like

Beans are legumes. “Beano” is named because it helps people digest beans. It’s main indication is for people who get flatulence from legumes. It also happens to help people digest cruciferous vegetables.

I do not know if the enzyme in Beano will help with the polysaccharides in oats, which may be different. And some of those indigestable pollysaccharides in oats are what make up its fiber.

I am on the 2-beano-per-Huel-serving dosage now and it seems to be helping.

@JamesCollier you wanna weigh in on the flatulence discussion? I am being serious. I know it sounds like sarcasm. :slight_smile:

Hi guys

That’s interesting on the alpha-galactosidase enzyme supplementation: not sure why this would ‘work’ as the pea protein in Huel is an isolate and there is minimal carbs from that ingredient. Indeed, I can’t see why this enzyme would ‘help’ with any of the polysaccharides in Huel.

However, anecdotally this is really intresting and I have come across another Hueler on the UK forum trying this.

2 Likes

Peas are legumes as well.

Correct. And that’s why I was confused by your previous statement. You implied that the above poster shouldn’t use Beano for Huel’s pea protein portion when you stated that peas are not cruciferous vegetables. I was just surmising that Beano makes sense for pea protein additive since it’s primary use is for beans/legumes, of which peas are part of that family. Anyway. Beano can also be useful for the polysaccharides in those cruciferous vegetables.

But as James was saying, really Beano shouldn’t be helping us at all. There aren’t any of those carbs from beans, legumes, peas, broccholi, cauliflower, etc. Beano is supposed to only work on complex carbohydrates that are hard for us to digest. If the pea protein is isolated, it should be only proteins, not carbs, and so Beano should have no effect.

Sooooo
 Beano is a placebo ? :slight_smile: Either that, or it’s helping with the polysaccharides in the oats?

Yes, I said it because the assumption that pea protein was causing distress based on prior symptom history with cruciferous vegetables was irrelevant.

I had the same thought about it being an isolate, but it may not be a pure isolate. For instance, you can buy whey protein and whey protein isolate (the latter costs more). Still probably has fairly little carb even though it’s not an isolate. Or is it? The bag is all the way in my kitchen.

Nvm, didn’t realize James worked for Huel. So it is an isolate, then.

Or you can take an “enzyme” 10 min before you have a shake and it covers everything “carbs, dairy, fats, protein
” depending on the one you use. I have a full spectrum one that covers it all, the brand is “Rainbow light”. I’ve been taking it for years
no gas.

1 Like

This one @Aliusia ?