Huel Findings after 6 Months of Using - TIPS

@Huel_Hefner I would love to do this. However, explaining to my wife why I ordered that much (spent that much) would be interesting.

2 Likes

@miked

I actually am closer to you in how I drink Huel. I do 3 scoops (approximately 100g) with 16oz or more of water plus anything else I am mixing. I typically let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to thicken up, then drink in 5-10 minutes.

2 Likes

Me as well, I have gradually moved up in the amount of HUEL like they suggested so your body can adapt easier which I do recommend.

1 Like

You’re paying a fairly steep premium to have that flexibility. In my case I save $132, when compared with 2 bags at a time without a subscription.

Sure, spending $396 all at once is tough, but I can’t get out of the necessity of buying food. That’s how I look at it.

2 Likes

I’ve learned to dilute my Huel more than I used to and now I am preferring it this way. For people who are trying Huel for the first time, experiment with different concentrations. You might find you prefer it more dilute or even more concentrated.

When it comes to additives, there is one which tops all others. Peanut Butter. Goes so well with vanilla Huel.

I second the being sure to rinse out your shaker when you finish your Huel to avoid having it turn into glue, or if you let it sit too long, a not very pleasant smelling container.

I’ve found that Huel actually helps me drink a LOT more water than I used to. When I finish my shaker of Huel, I fill the shaker all the way back up with water and shake it around and then drink that to make sure I consume ALL of my Huel, as well as rinse out the container really good. So every time I drink a shaker full of Huel, I follow it up with a full shaker full of water after that. I still officially wash the container out at the sink at the end of the day just to get in completely clean.

That adds a LOT more water consumption to my daily regimen without even really having to think about it, and I definitely notice the increase in hydration.

2 Likes

Here’s another couple of “tricks” I’ve been using…

#1.) If you heat it up in the microwave or mix in HOT water, it will really thicken up and you’ll obtain much more of a “full” feeling once you’ve completed the serving. I do this if I’m REALLY hungry or know I’m about to go an extended period of time without food.

#2.) In my subscription, I buy 2 bags of unflavored/unsweetened with each delivery (which includes 6 bags of regular vanilla Huel). With these unflavored bags, I like to mix up “savory” batches: I usually put a large dose of freshly cracked black pepper, some chili powder, a few dashes of A1 steaksause, beef or chicken brooth, and some peppers. I heat up the brooth to near boiling and put it in the blender with the other ingredients and blend it. It will get thick because the liquid is HOT. It’s so yummy and is a nice break from the sweet vanilla.

6 Likes

On the subject of getting a better shaker, this insulated stainless Contigo one is a great value. Currently on sale at Amazon for $13.48

3 Likes

O own a few of these and they work great, the secure top stops/prevents any leaking the insulation keeps it cool. I would recommend buying 2 - 3 of these so you have one at home/work/spare.

2 Likes

How many Huel meals do you average in a week and does a subscription work for this many bags? Looks like the furthest out you could put your order is 10 weeks and 224 meals in 10 weeks is still a lot. I do like the savings, though. You’re cutting down your cost/meal to $1.77 which is pretty fantastic.

2 Likes

For me personally I just have one a day for breakfast since I have no time on the morning to make anything or get anything ready. As far as subscription goes I don’t think it works for that many bags but I bet if you contact them they would able to accommodate your specific needs as far as subscriptions go.

2 Likes

I drink two shakes per day during the week, three scoops per shake, and I just figured that my subscription of two bags won’t last me a whole month. I just updated my subscription to get two bags every three weeks instead (since there doesn’t seem to be a way to change the number of bags per shipment, what’s up with that?). I do occasionally have a shake during the weekend if I’m really busy and don’t have time for a “proper” meal, but that’s rare. I ordered a la carte the first couple of times, but once I determined that I was going to stay on Huel for the long haul I set up a subscription.

2 Likes

I am currently at 1500 - 2500 cal Huel per day, so I go through a fair amount in 4 weeks. I had a 5 bag surplus when my most recent order delivered. That’s okay though, I want to have at least a months worth extra set aside as a pantry item. Once I get to that point I will slow down the reorder frequency to a stable level. For the shake a day folks it can see how even the 10 week subscription could be problematic.

2 Likes

Trust me it is a problem, I wish they would be much more flexible on their subscriptions on the amount you want but I understand…it would be quite a logistical nightmare to accommodate everyone’s specific request so I just order more than I need.

Hey @DoctorMemory, you can change the number of bags as well if you go under “Manage Subscription Flavors”. You can order up to 16 bags per order I think.

500ml water, 3 scoops vanilla, half tsp chia flavoring, blender, sits overnight. My shaker bottle has a screw container on the bottom. I put three scoops in there plus flavoring in the morning so I can make another shake for lunch. Pretty sweet system.

3 Likes

I’m new to Huel and I agree with you on most of the things you said. I bought a vanilla and plain. I also agree go vanilla. However saw post today coming out with chocolate and berry versions can’t wait to try those.

I also drink a shaker full of water afterword if I’m not drinking coffee because the extra water actually helps it expand in your stomach and makes you feel really full.

The Huel shaker does seal completely. Make sure that the lip around the lid is clean, then putting a flat surface even put your hand underneath the candle created by the fliptop, and hold onto the top of the lid it directly west. It will twist for dinner then if you try to use that makeshift handle.

1 Like

If you like your shakes extra thick, try adding some “PSYLLIUM HUSK POWDER”.
Example:
Mix your usual shake, but add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon PSYLLIUM powder per scoop of Huel. Mix well, and let rest in the fridge for a few hours.

Be warned that if you use too much PSYLLIUM powder your shake will be more like pudding and nearly undrinkable, so keep a spoon handy. LOL

The PSYLLIUM will add 4 grams of carbohydrates per teaspoon, but it is all fiber. It should also help you feel full and satisfied longer.

I hope other Huel users will find this tip helpful.

Happy Hueling everyone.
Thomas

1 Like