Huel Clumping-anyone else?

Hey All!

Loving my Huel. But can’t get the proportions correct to stop clumping. Right now I’m using Ice, 3 scoops, and water.

Any other suggestions?

If you are making Huel on the go then it might not be an option to blend it, but I’ve found that this works best to avoid clumps. I blend it the night before and store in the fridge until morning.

I also recommend making your Huel the night before and leaving it in the refrigerator overnight. It helps to change the texture a bit and thickens it up! It’s my favorite way to drink it.

I do the same as you and get no clumps. Granted the 10 second shake doesn’t work. I shake vigorously for closer to 30

2 Likes

Are you using at least 600 ml of water total? Without a blender, I found that 600 ml is the bare minimum needed to get it mostly smooth. And you gotta shake real vigorously. This is oat powder based.

But I blender mix all mine, toss in a few cubes, and store it in an insulated drink container in the fridge overnight. Then take with me to work next day. It’s generally the best way to prep Huel.

i had issues for a while, and then i started going 400mL, huel, shake for min 30 secs, add ~200 mL water. now i rarely get clumps…

1 Like

I shake for 10 seconds or even less, but always use the ice guard as a mixer which eliminates the chunks for me. My process is to fill half the cup, add three scoops, put on the ice guard, close the bottle and shake for maybe 7 seconds, fill the other half, tilt the bottle upside down and upside up a few times, and then pound it. I’ve got it down to about two minutes now including consumption and cleaning up.

2 Likes

I don’t have any clumping issues, probably because I never went over 2 scoops. But I’d suggest you try one of those rechargeable stainless steel shaker bottles that have a blender inside it, like PROMiXX 2.0, I heard it works very well with Huel, haven’t tried it myself yet though.

@RMDance, I agree with @omikes. It is important not to fill the shaker all the way before shaking. My morning process: fill 300ml water and 100ml Ripple milk, add 3 scoops Huel and any other flavorings, 3 ice cubes, put strainer and lid on, shake for 15-20 seconds, top off to 700 ml with more water, shake again.

Also, some people have recommended immersion blenders instead of a full size blender. Never used one myself though.

I add water, then Huel, then three ice cubes, then the grid thing, then shake. Then some times add more water. My 3-scoop Huel today was about 600ml total I think. I haven’t tried really ‘watery’ Huel yet…

What I do is fill my Huel shaker bottle up to just under the 500 ml mark with ice. Then add water just up to the ice. Then add my scoops of Huel and then put the mesh and screw on the top. Then add more water on top of the huel scoops. You can do a little water or fill the bottle almost to the top. Just depends on how “watery” you want your shake to be. This has helped keeping the Huel from sticking to the sides of the shaker bottle and clumps. Try it let me know what you think.

I just bought three metal blender balls for six dollars. You put the metal ball in the shaker, and then do everything else according to the instructions. You can add something that would blend easily if you wanted to add some more flavor or something, but the instructions tell you how to add the water, add the powder, shake it, and then add the water again, so do that, except you have a metal ball in your shaker now. Shake it for about 30 seconds. Mine is always smooth. You can just drink it with the ball inside. It says on the instructions that you can. The ball is designed to be immersed in drinks so it will not rust or anything. I have even put less water and then the instructions say and gotten no clumps. I have done it with and without the mesh and it doesn’t seem to make that much of a difference. The blender ball is what really helps.

1 Like

I’m only a few days in, and I’m using just 2 scoops to 17 oz water as recommended, but the last couple days I’m finding a simple method that really helps is shaking it upside down so gravity helps force the clumps into the screen. Of course, I do this while tightly gripping both lid and cap to prevent disaster, and standing over the sink in case disaster strikes anyway. Just one stubborn clump yesterday, and totally smooth today.

1 Like

I’m continuing to get generally good results with this one simple “shake it upside-down” method.

I’ve found the same thing; shaking upside down through the screen breaks up any clumps.