How can we improve Huel? (both product and service)

Hi,

I just started drinking Huel this week. I like it overall. Here are a couple thoughts:

1. There is a slight metallic taste for me. I typically love the taste of protein powders and overall Huel tastes good, but the slightly metallic taste is a bit odd. I wonder there is this taste?

2. Although it has been addressed on your website, the Manganese content in Huel powder is concerning to me. I saw that Huel ready-to-drink has less Manganese. Would it be possible to buy the Huel RTD formula in powdered form? RTD is quite a bit more expensive than Powder, and there is also the environmental concern of packaging and plastic bottles. Are there any other plans to reduce Manganese?

3. I read that a serving of Huel powder contains 4 micrograms of lead. Is the same true for Huel RTD?

Thanks,
Rick

No gluten ingredients, but is not certified gluten-free.

2 Likes

Hi Rick!

1. Hmm, Huel has a light vanilla, oaty taste, but it shouldn’t taste metallic. Perhaps you would prefer our unsweetened/unflavored variety or a mix of that with the vanilla to create a flavor better suited for your taste buds.
  2. Did you see this section on manganese on our nutrition page? It’s not possible to get the RTD in powder form. I’m not sure of any plans to reduce manganese as it is mostly naturally occurring from our oats and we love our oats!
  3. Where did you read that? We monitor heavy metal levels in the soil wherever our ingredients are grown, as well as in the final product, to ensure these are always at a safe level. The levels of all heavy metals in Huel are safely below the required levels.

Maybe something like this?

https://www.perque.com/lifestyle/self-tests/zinc-taste-test/

Suggestion: A flavor-boost sampler pack.

P.S. Love the product!

3 Likes

Hi Teresa,

1. I have been using the unsweetened/unflavored powder. I have mixed it with Huel Chocolate Mint, as well as cocoa powder/agave nectar. I have a bag of vanilla powder, but have not tried it yet. As others have suggested, it would be great if there were a sampler pack of Huel flavor boosts that we could purchase.

2. I have read it. I hope this is true, but it is still a concern.

3. I read that here: Question about the Heavy Metal Report from 2017
    While one serving is below required levels, multiple servings would not be, according to this post. It makes it hard to want to drink more than one serving per day.

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Julian. I am about to place my third order. I really like the product and the flavor boosts. The referral program leave a lot to be desired. I have had issues with every order I’ve placed. I was told by email I could only use one referral bonus per order, but on the rules and regulations page, it says I can use multiple ones. I got my referral code for this order and got an error message that my order didn’t qualify for the discount. (2 bags and a flavor boost) I have found nothing anywhere on how to remedy this, much less why my order doesn’t qualify… what gives?

1 Like

Hey there. We do only allow one referral coupon per order. On the FAQ page it says “While there is no limit to how many $10 discounts you can earn you can only apply one per order. Multiple discounts cannot be applied to a single order.”

I’ll send you a PM to get more details about your recent referral.

I think a flavor boost sampler pack would be a really hot seller!

1 Like

I too would be interested in a bar. However in the past I have struggled when eating meal replacement bars, because they do not give the same feeling of fullness as eating a meal or drinking a full Huel shake. So I would want that bar to still contain as much fiber as possible to help me feel full. The bar would probably be pretty chewy too, which is OK and actually what I would prefer for slower eating.

1 Like

If you want to try Fruit Loops…check out this protein powder! I just got mine this week and tried some last night. It is very sweet - much sweeter than plain Huel, but the flavor is really good!

https://spartanutrition.com/collections/protein-series/products/loopy-fruits-whey-protein-blend-5lbs

Better packing. Just got my latest shipment and one of the bags was split. Lost a bit of product and wound up with a huge mess on the floor (due to flipping the bags around trying to see which one it was). The smaller boxes just don’t protect as well, it seems.

@DoctorMemory

Sorry about the mess you experience with the damage bag. I will reach out to you via private message for order details to resolve this.

I’m no mathematician, but I think the Hueler who posted below the original poster showed the math on how Huel is within the safe levels. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hi Teresa,

The Hueler who replied to the original poster showed the math on how only a single serving of Huel is within the safe levels, which was a number that was established in 1993 and is probably too high (they are currently in the process of finding a lower safe value). Anything more than a single serving of Huel and you are above safe levels, according to that post.

Thanks,
Rick

Check it again. :wink: The OP’s math is corrected and the OP acknowledges the correction. Just to be super sure since I’m not a nutritionist either, I have reached out to our very own @JamesCollier and @Rebecca_Huel to help clear things up. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Teresa,

I think you need to check it again. From the reply you are talking about:

“So if my unit conversions and math are correct, then there is theoretically 5.588 mcg of lead per serving of Huel. While this is below the maximum daily intake of 6mcg of lead the FDC set in 1993, as you stated, the FDA is now reviewing this daily maximum based off of new scientific data.”

Keep in mind that is per serving, meaning that more than one serving of Huel per day puts you above the daily limit.

Thanks,
Rick

Sorry, so many numbers going around, I got a little confused. I’ve confirmed with @Rebecca_Huel that it’s 5.58mcg per serving. On the surface, this can look concerning, but keep in mind that heavy metal content in a vegan or vegetarian diet is usually very high & as such, it is difficult to reduce the heavy metal content in Huel as it is plant based. Since heavy metal levels in crops vary due to the soil things are grown in, we are always on the lookout to source ingredients with lower heavy metal content. Also, it’s worth noting that the bio availability of heavy metals in plant sources is not the same as in animal sources. I thought this table from that other thread was really interesting.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I agree that the table shown helps put things in perspective, but it is still concerning. I’m curious, how much lead is in a serving of Huel RTD? Is it the same amount?

Thanks,
Rick

What mechanism clears these metals?

While exploring a cenote in Mexico they warned us to not drink any of the water because of high levels of limestone could [be bad] - but the native Mayan ate chayote to minimize/negate that danger.

Is there a process by which human metabolism can naturally rid itself of heavy metals?