Anyone else getting nasty farts?

I find that the flatulence is worst when I have the granola. For some reason the shakes don’t seem to make it so bad.

I found the the worst farts are after I have eaten the granola rather than the shakes. Has anyone else experienced this and is there an explanation as to why the granola should be any different.

Hey, Huel Granola is not low FODMAP unlike the Huel powders which might be causing your issues.

You’re also on the US forum and Huel granola isn’t currently available in the US. You’re best asking UK specific questions on: https://discuss.huel.com/

Wait, there’s a granola?

Not yet in the states. It’s available in the UK

I’m getting the gas described after only one serving yesterday morning and one this morning. It is not from fiber because I eat high fiber normally, sucralose (I bought unflavored), water (I’m plenty hydrated) nor drinking fast (when one has the unflavored, it can take hours to finish a serving). So it must be something else in the formulation. I’ve had pea protein powders before with no problems. Someone mentioned oats, that’s something I can’t rule out.

Huel powder is 60% oat powder by volume. It’s the biggest ingredient in the formulation.

Here’s hoping that Huel adds digestive enzymes and pre / probiotics to the next gen powders to aid with the GI challenges.

Huel already contains prebiotic fibers that occur naturally in some of the food ingredients, thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, some foods have prebiotic qualities naturally. But what about probiotics and enzymes?

I don’t need Huel to be more expensive or have reduced shelf life because additives.

Have you tried the UU version? If gut bacteria are enjoying the sucralose in the sweetened versions, you may have better experience with unsweetened. You can always add your own sweetener: stevia, sugar, maple syrup, honey, fruit, etc.

1 Like

A spinoff of the topic. Was reading this article and it talks about the influence of fruit’s prebiotics on promoting a healthy gut flora.

It’s something we are looking into in regards to the small percentage of people that have gut issues, yes.

1 Like

I think this will be the one thing that would kill the idea. In order to get good potency of the probiotic product, most need to be stored in a cool place, or refrigerator.

Also, since a lot of probiotics are made from cow milk or have skim milk powder in them, Huel would have to find some source of vegan probiotics, which are usually more costly than dairy born probiotics. I think it may be due to supply. Dairy is plentiful, unfortunately.

1 Like

To be honest, supply is just one issue. It may seem like there is tonnes of beneficial effects and evidence for probiotics but it’s actually very limited. A probiotic as a specific genus and a specific species e.g. Lactobacillus casei and then there are specific strains. Different strains have different effects and there is limited evidence for each individually when added to food.

The gut microbiota itself is incredibly interesting and the evidence is growing, but whether probiotics added to foods has any of the claims suggested by the compaines is different matter. For example, the EFSA which is the EU equivalent of the FDA has rejected every single probiotic health claim that has been presented to it.

2 Likes

Yeah there is a lack of evidence for Probiotics treating specific conditions. Just people’s anecdotal reports. My hospital was looking to remove probiotics from formulary due to lack of evidence. They finally relented since the small cost of buying these wasn’t worth the hassle of fighting the infections disease doctors every time they ordered a probiotic.

Haha this is brilliant!

1 Like

Well another commonly overlooked piece to this GI reaction puzzle may reside in the solid foods you’re eating after the Huel shakes. Normally people will replace breakfast and/or lunch with a Huel drink and then eat a solid meal for dinner. If you’re drinking breakfast AND lunch that would calculate out to a consumption of only 800 calories. Most people have a maintenance calorie expenditure of around 1,600 - 1,800 calories meaning you’d need to consume 1,800 calories just to fuel your body’s normal internal processes. Since this number excludes the extra calories you’re burning from activities such as walking, working, or exercising your daily calorie needs could dramatically change to 2,000 - 3,000 calories depending on how active you are.

I’m attempting to point out that when dinner-time comes around, you’ve only consumed 800 calories with two servings of Huel (4 scoops). You now have to consume around 1,000 - 2,000 calories for dinner just to maintain your weight. 2,000 calories equates to a very large meal which can trigger a big spike in blood sugar, hormones reaction, and blood flow pooling.

The body is also very proactive when determining if it needs more fuel and as a consequence of being in a caloric deficit, we tend to overeat and binge eat without realizing it. Additionally as studies have shown when a person is hungry or their body is in a caloric deficit, they’re more likely to eat unhealthy foods during the binge cycle which can contribute to weight gain, bloating, and flatulence.

So in essence after following a simple breakfast and lunch regimen of Huel, you’re more than likely going to be overeating unhealthy foods at dinner-time just to get up to your maintenance calorie level which can complicate the source of your gas if you factor in the types and amount of solid food being eaten as well as how the diet reacts with your high fiber Huel shakes.

As some advise, calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) + your exercise expenditure and make sure you work out all of your calories for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you require more calories than what a single Huel shake provides, don’t double up on your Huel servings, rather add Huel drinks as snacks in between meals OR add solid food snacks in between your Huel meals in order to maintain a steady amount of calories IN throughout the day which coincides with your total calorie expenditure for the day. The goal is to not have hunger pains or be craving a large 2,000 calorie meal when dinner comes around! You should only need less than 400-500 calories for dinner which should completely satisfy your hunger and put you up to 1,600 - 3,000 calories for the day. Doing it this way will help to eliminate a lot of cravings for junk food and allow you to eat healthier, thus possibly eliminating a lot of sources for undesirable hell-fire flatulence.

Oh my god yes it’s fucking disgusting. I almost want to stop using it because there’s definitely no way I can engage in “activities” with my bf on huel days… Gah. But it’s so convenient

1 Like

Hey Deron!

Do you happen to know if digestive enzymes, such as these, can help with diarrhea?

(Referring to the ones you mentioned in this thread.)

Thanks!

1 Like