Why is Mac n Cheese ... CRUNCHY?!

I’ve prepared a few bowls of mac and cheese by adding boiling water, covering them, and waiting 5 minutes. However, each time, there appears to be undercooked crunchy noodles in the bowl. Not what I expected / wanted in my mac n cheese.

Are these crunchy parts intentional?

1 Like

I had the same experience with my first preparation the other day. I am going to let it sit and “cook” longer next time, like 10 minutes.

Hey @Shivian - welcome to the US Huel forum! :tada:

The pasta is meant to be al dente - however, if you find it is crunchy I would agree with @JeffOakley and let it sit for another few minutes and maybe add in a few more drops of water. Not a ton more water though as you may not want it to be watery!

Another fun trick: after you let the Mac and Cheeze sit for the first five minutes and then stir, add in a few drops extra of water, and then place in the microwave for 20-30 seconds or less (in a microwave-safe dish) if you have a microwave available. This can help too!

You also want to be sure you keep an eye on it so it doesn’t bubble over. Then I stir again once out of the microwave and let it sit for a minute or two before consuming as it is quite hot when I make it this way. I would also note to be careful when you take it out of the microwave too due to the fact that it’s hot!

Let me know if you give the above a try and it helps or if even letting it sit for 10 minutes helps too!

2 Likes

Probably old news by now but letting mine sit for 10-15 minutes did the trick. I love it!

3 Likes

I had the same issue. The instructions are meant for general hot and savoury food. But it doesn’t take into account the amount of water the macaroni absorbs. I had to fill it to the TOP of my huel pot, and it still got really thick, but without the crunchiness. Make sure to add PLENTY of water. Next time I’m adding even more boiled water, because it’s still too thick for my liking. The macaroni absorbs an insane amount of water from the pot, so that’s the reason. The crunchiness comes from the fact that the macaroni doesn’t have enough boiling water to absorb all the way to the core.

1 Like

Thanks for the top tips on Mac & Cheeze! Definitely use the guide as a starter and add more as required. It’s easy to add more water but hard to take it away. And watery Mac & Cheeze would be so much worse!