Terribleness, Thy Name is Huel Bars!

As Tim said the bars are best warm. A couple of quick tips, I warm them up in my hand for 10-20 seconds, or if you are near a microwave take out the wrapper and heat for 5 to 10 second they come out gooey and lovely.

Just had my first Huel bar, the salted caramel, and my thoughts changed throughout the bar.

First bite: Oh god what is this…had to grab some water to get it down
Second Bite: Little better
Last Bite: This is actually pretty good

I typically don’t eat bars and when I do they’re the “soft baked cookie” / birthcake variety so I guess I’m used to overly sweet bars which caused the initial shock of the first bite. I didn’t have any other problems with the bar, they were soft and had a good texture all throughout chewing.

Haven’t tried the Chocolate yet, I bought a box of each flavor, but I’m sure it’ll be just as good as the Caramel.

Didn’t want to make an entirely new thread just to post my first bar thoughts.

I appreciate the second ‘review’ here. I want to pull the trigger on a box of bars (probably the caramel; I just don’t like chocolate Huel, which is odd since I tend to love all things chocolate), but @boles’ initial reaction had me reconsidering.

I may wait until the forums reflect more reactions to the bars, but I’m still inclined to include a box in my next order.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it’s looking like we have to order two boxes. We can’t mix and match subscription items. Maybe they will allow this in the future? There could still be a minimum order of two items.

I knew about the issue with mix-and-matching different types of products (e.g. powders and bars), but I didn’t read the fine print about the two box minimum. I hate that. Like, a lot.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more.

2 Likes

You can’t even buy one box as a single, independent, purchase.

I received my 2 boxes. I let them sit in the kitchen at room temperature for 4 hours. Tried Caramel first not as hard as I was dreading. Not a silky texture, but I don’t think it was meant to be or expected by me. A tad bit dry but eatable and did its job. Tried chocolate next and this time I warmed it up in the microwave for 10 seconds. It came out very good. It was smooth and not hard or chewy and went down really well. My 2 cents, they are good, do there job and IMHO just microwave. Overall I am ok with it.

Did you find them filling? Like, is it just a small snack or something that might keep you going for 3 or 4 hours in the afternoon?

For me, 3-4 hours will be a stretch. It is a good snack in between.

2 bars maybe. Haven’t tried but will do on Thursday @ work.

Had 2 bars for afternoon snack. Found them to be quite filling and lasted me till now…4+ hours. Not bad!

Not bad at all. Thanks for reporting back :slight_smile:

I tried chocolate today – at room temp and after 10 seconds in the microwave. It tasted like sawdust and glue, unfortunately.

1 Like

This is my 2nd reply on the same subject. Be aware that anything you put in the microwave will be adversely affected. Heating food in the microwave strips away its original nutrients. What may have started as a nutritious food has now evolved into “dead food” due to the dielectric heating of microwaves. The water molecules that rotate rapidly in the microwave and in the food do so in high frequencies which creates molecular friction and heats up your food. This causes the molecular structure in your food to change, and as a result diminishes the nutrient content in the food.

How often do you eat sawdust and glue?? Doesn’t sound very appetizing to me.

Be aware that anything you put in the microwave will be adversely affected. Heating food in the microwave strips away its original nutrients. What may have started as a nutritious food has now evolved into “dead food” due to the dielectric heating of microwaves. The water molecules that rotate rapidly in the microwave and in the food do so in high frequencies which creates molecular friction and heats up your food. This causes the molecular structure in your food to change, and as a result diminishes the nutrient content in the food.

This is false. Can you provide a source for this claim?

one source

Yes, I’ve seen articles that say it’s not true but since we live in a for-profit, consumer-based, capitalist system, be aware of the profit motives of these sources and how they might benefit from the information they publish. Or conversely, how they might be damaged [financially] should certain facts be made public. Remember, just because you see some impressive letters after a person’s name, PhD for example, doesn’t always mean they can be trusted to tell the truth. Not in a monetary system.

1 Like

This article seems quite informative and non-controversial.

In the end, you all can do your own research and decide what’s best for you. I’m not trying to dissuade anyone from ultimately deciding for themselves which path to take. It’s one of many subjects I take very seriously and so I choose to err on the side of caution.

In the future, I will structure my posts and replies to reflect my passions a bit more mindfully, remembering that not everyone will always agree with my opinions and conclusions.

Could be useful as a pie crust.