Huel Bars (USA)

Just sharing my thoughts. The forums seem to be bare of them.

Salted Caramel.

• Tastes like dirt and vitamins.
  • I love salted caramel sweets, but this is nowhere close.
  • Rating 1/5

Chocolate.

• Not delicious, but not bad
  • I was assuming I’d like the salted caramel version better, but decided to just get 1 box of these to at least try once. Glad I did.
  • Rating 3/5

Overall

• The cost is about $2 a bar, which compared to most protein and/or energy bars, the price is on par, and fair.

• The taste isn’t perfect, but most bars you find in the supermarket aren’t very tasty either.

• I do dislike the fact the Huel felt the need to add 7g of sugar to the bars as I’d like to eat little to no added sugar.

3 Likes

Thanks for your review!

I’m a massive fan of salted caramel, it’s funny how tastes differ.

The sugar content is a bit higher than you would like as the ingredients that contribute sugar as required to bind the ingredients together into a bar and provide the right texture.

2 Likes

I agree; I didn’t like the caramel but found the chocolate “good enough”. Indeed, I just ordered 2 more boxes of the chocolate, as they’re great for a late afternoon snack.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was on the fence about ordering some of these and I think I’ll just wait until the future versions.

1 Like

Peanut Butter is by far my favorite flavor. Salted Caramel next and Coffee Caramel a very close third. Chocolate is not doing it for me just like the powder, there is an odd after taste that just doesn’t sit right on my pallet. I wish I could exchange the unopened products for the ones I prefer the taste of. I suspect that’s not an option however. Chalk it up to a learning experience I guess. :man_shrugging:

I bought a box of the expiring Chocolate Orange bars with my first order. Was not very excited about them, but they grew on me, and I finished the box quicker than I hoped. [unhealthy tip warning] Really went well with a sip of good single malt scotch [/end unhealthy tip warning]

Just had a chocolate orange bar for a morning snack. They’re drier than I was expecting but still good. They look like Lärabars but since they’re not made of dates they’re not as sweet.

I agree, I was really looking forward to the bars when they were added in the US but was very soon disappointed with them. I think I have tried 4 or 5 of the flavors by adding single bars to an order and it’s the same story with each. Hard to chew, dry and chalky texture without a whole lot of flavor, very little sweetness. Dates could be a great way to fix some of those things.

I’d actually be cool if they didn’t put dates in: part of why I went back to Huel was because I was eating way too much sugar and even though it’s natural sugar I still don’t need that much (I have a family history of diabetes and so I’m trying to keep that in mind. I really don’t mind the flavor that much since I know it’s better for me than most energy bars.

1 Like