Still hungry after shake?

My morning routine is to make a Huel shake in the blender with blueberries and frozen bananas with water. I find within about 2 hours I am hungry again. I’m tempted to have another shake of two scoops for 250 cals.

Anyone else having this issue? What have you done about it?

How much Huel are you using in the first shake? Also two scoops? I have three scoops in the morning at around 7:45 and don’t get hungry again until maybe 11 or 12.

I use 2.5 scoops per shake. Based on my weight I should be at roughly 1657 cals a day to lose 1 lbs a week. I was doing 2 shakes a day of 500 cals powder with an unknown amount of oat milk with a regular dinner and put on 5 lbs in about 2 weeks. So I cut my shakes back to 2.5 scoops and just water.

Consider the possibility that your “hunger” is just a psychological craving for food, based on habit.

3 Likes

I’ve been using 3 scoops of Huel with either fruit or flavor additives for breakfast and lunch everyday for 6 weeks and still find myself hungry between meals. I’ll snack on a small amount of nuts, fruit, or a Fibre One bar in between and it barely helps. By dinner time I’m starved, so I sympathize with what you are going through AV8tr. I would like to swap out a real lunch for a Huel dinner due to eating dinner so late because of what time I get out of work, but I like the convenience of a Huel lunch. I thought my body would have adjusted by now but its still a mental battle with the hunger feeling. All that being said, it’s easier to deal with the hunger because I’ve seen results, 11 lbs. lost in the 6 weeks ( a goal of 20 overall). I’m exercising 4-5 times per week and my energy is waaaay up, so the positives do outweigh the negative. The one meal that seems to stay with me the longest before I’m hungry again is 3 scoops of Huel and water with an entire banana blended in.

H there, @abarnesiii :wave: How many scoops are you using in your Huel? Are you packing the scoops and/or weighing them? There’s a chance you aren’t getting enough calories. If you need help finding your ideal caloric intake, check out my.huel.com/howto to get started.

@Teresa_Huel I’m using 3 scoops packed down per shake and I’m pretty sure I’m getting enough calories each day, I average around 2100, which is pretty much ideal for my age, activity, and weight loss goal. I just find myself feeling hungry about 2 hours after each Huel meal. BTW its actually been 8 weeks since I started.

Art, it sounds like you’re making a big enough Huel serving, but maybe try using a food scale to ensure you’re getting the exact amount you need or play around with adding another half to full scoop for more calories. Something I do to increase my satiety is I drink my Huel serving over a longer period of time, i.e. drink some, leave it in the fridge, drink a little more, basically just space it out.

@Teresa_Huel Thanks for the suggestions. And I didn’t mean to hijack this thread from @Av8tr, I just wanted to let him know that his experience wasn’t unique.

I had this same issue when first starting. Now I’m literally one shake during the day and one hearty regular meal at night.

I fast in the morning and have my Huel about 2:00pm. I use 3 scoops, 2 big bananas, one juicy peach, one hefty spoonful of coconut oil. After trying out several combinations, this one tastes the best and sustains my hunger for several hours.

2 Likes

I was doing 2 shakes a day of 500 cals powder with an unknown amount of oat milk with a regular dinner and put on 5 lbs in about 2 weeks

An unknown amount of oat milk may sneak in some calories…

The average cup of oat milk available for purchase will contain about 4 g of protein, 130 calories, 2.5 g fat, 110 g sodium, 19 g sugar, 2 g fiber, and 24 grams of carbohydrates

A lot of people feel “hungry” when they are getting dehydrated.

Try drinking an extra glass or two of water 30 minutes to an hour before your morning shake, and then again 30 minutes to an hour after and see if that helps with your hunger issue.

I hope that this helps.
Happy Hueling everyone.
Thomas

I’m used to eating every 2 hours so I’ve planned out my shakes by making a batch with fruit (berries and banana) portioned out to drink one every few hours. Same amount of calories just spred out a bit.

1 Like

You might try this tip:

and see if it helps.

I hope that this helps other Hulers.
Happy Hueling everyone.
Thomas

Welcome @Smylm8ker. I Huel similarly, 6 times a day, about ever 2h45m but I’m not strict about it. Only 2 scoops though.

Both green tea and lemon water give a sense of satiation, and help weight loss (if this is the goal).