How can I get the odor off my shaker? I made a soup recipe in it one time, and now no matter what I do, it smells like soup. What can I do to make it smell normal again?
Spend the $6 on another shaker, keep the old one for another round of soup?
We’re going to need more details on this soup in a shaker situation…
But in all seriousness, plastic is great at absorbing smells, so it might take a little elbow grease. I did a quick google on how to get smell out of plastic shakers and a bunch of YouTube videos that look helpful popped up. Maybe give one of those a shot and share with the rest of us what worked the best!
As Teresa notes plastic does like to absorb smells.
Have you tried giving it a was with hot water and white vinegar? Even letting it soak for a bit might be helpful. The vinegar is great for getting odors out and evaporates once dry. After another normal wash you should be good to go!
To make the soup, I just replaced the water with sodium free chicken bouillon, did the unflavored Huel, And added some garlic. It was OK. It was kind of bland though. I heated up the water mixture first and then added the Huel. It was also kind of gritty, but maybe I just noticed more because it was hot. But now my shaker smells like chicken soup. I have washed it, made other shakes in it, and yes, I did try soaking it with hot water and vinegar. I also tried soaking it in water and baking soda. The odor is a bit less, but it is not gone. I do not have a dishwasher because I live in a tiny apartment that only has a sink. The only other things I can think of our to use the two together, or try sanitizing it with Starsan. Oh yes, I also tried soaking it in Oxiclean. I would’ve tried bleach, but I am worried that would ruin the plastic, and I learned the hard way that bleach can’t go in my particular sync because I try to use it to kill bacteria in the sink one time, and a chalky substance was all over the sink once I drained it. I was worried the sink was ruined, but I was able to use a sponge to wipe off the chalky substance. However, I don’t think I should do that again. Boiling it would be very hard because I don’t think I have a path that would be big enough for him, and that would be bad for the plastic. I was thinking putting it in the microwave with water, baking soda, and vinegar and it boiling that, but I am worried it would explode. I suppose I could try plain water first. I really liked this shaker, and I don’t want to switch to a different one. They may have some metal ones, but they would be more expensive, and I like this one because it is designed for the product and the ounces are on it. I am tired of drinking shakes that smells like a mixture of vanilla and chicken soup. I made one with chocolate, so now it will probably smell like a mixture of vanilla, chocolate, and chicken soup. I can’t just have the same flavor all the time. Buying a new one is not a solution either because then the same thing will happen to it when I switch flavors, and I will be right back where I started.
Maybe like what @miked said, if you get a second shaker, just use the new one for your Huel meals and the current shaker for your soup. If you got a frosted shaker, it would be easier to tell the difference.
Hey @Sabra_Ewing, I think the only reason it retained the smell was from putting hot liquid in it. I mix a few different flavors in mine cold and do not have any smell retained from those.
…or, you know, the one that smells like soup…
is for soup.
Bleach is the best cleaner to use in your sink. It cuts grease and all sorts of other things better than any dish washer soap. (Clorox Splash free is the best) You can also try wetting it then wipe with comet so you have a paste all over the cup. The let it sit for an hour before you rinse. Make sure you get all the cracks and threads under the lid. I notice a lot of people don’t clean their shaker cups well, to the point it will start growing mold and their using it without realizing it. Gross!! If my suggestions didn’t work, the soup leached into the plastic. A lot of different chemicals can leach into the plastic and become permanent. A big factor is the type of plastic used to make the product. I deal with chemicals that must be stored in plastic and you have to use the correct type of oil free plastic, or the plastic will break down into your chemical.
At the end of the day the shaker cups are 6 bucks, i would just buy a new one.
I am worried that bleach would eat through the plastic. I did put bleach in my sink before, but I don’t know if I put too much or what happened, but it made a chalky substance in my sink and I don’t think that is good for it. My sink is stainless steel.
Bleach doesn’t eat plastic at all and will not leech into it either. Once you use the bleech, simply wash with hot water and normal dish soap. I’m 100% certain of this. A little bleach wouldn’t hurt you anyways. It works better than any other fungus cream or oil at killing atheletes foot and basically the best cleaner out there. The corporations just don’t want you to know that.
OK. I will try it. I’m just worried because I filled my tub with bleach and water one time and it ate through my plastic shower curtain because I forgot to take it out of the tub.