Shaky hungry, irritable, sweaty and headachy after 3 scoops/3 hours. Any ideas?

I’m a little envious that people report fullness for 4-5 hours off 2-scoop shakes. I upped my dose to three scoops and am still experiencing awful shaky, irritable hunger and headache about 3 hours after finishing a shake.

For what it’s worth, I’m a 5’8" 125 lb woman, and I had similar issues with Soylent (400 Kcal had me feeling ravenous after 2 hours, but not like this). I don’t eat regular meals, as my schedule is weird, but I don’t usually get homicidally hungry in between.

I picked up Huel to help me keep my weight up during times when I can’t afford to eat or don’t have time to cook. I hate to have to give up on this – is there something else I could try with Huel?

1 Like

That doesn’t sound right at all.

How long are you taking to consume your Huel? We would recommend at 15-20 minutes which should help keep you fuller for longer.

If you switch from one diet e.g. vegan to paleo, you can experience flatulence and irregular bowel movements, tiredness and/or cravings, etc. It’s not that the diet is bad it’s due to changes in the gut’s microbiome based on their new food source. Huel is high in fibre and most Western diets are low in fibre.

Fibre has a lot of benefits but it can also act like a sponge in the gut. So, it can absorb water and upping your daily water intake may help with your headaches.

1 Like

Time to up your game. Either try a 3 scoop Huel or add two heaping tablespoons of peanut butter (mother nature’s bulking agent, as I call it). With the PB you’ll need to blend it.

400 calories really isn’t a big meal. Don’t be afraid to turn up the calorie density of your Huel. Most of mine are 500 calories of Huel inside of a few ounces of plant milk with either peanut butter or a banana or half banana plus applesauce. I like mine to be a minimum 700 calories, sometimes more. I’m 5’ 10” ish and 146 to 150 pound range lately. Also, I was doing these size Huel shakes last year when I lost 65 pounds. So I was going big on Huel even when I was shedding body fat. You should be good to try a Huel meal of this size.

1 Like

I’m doing three scoops (~600 KCal at a time), with almond milk, drinking mine in about 15 min. I have one to two shakes a day. The headaches are continual.

My diet before Huel was actually decent and pretty high in fiber (bowel movements 1-2 every day). I am used to ingesting more calories at a time though: I eat a lot of nuts and avocados for fat and satiety. Breakfasts are usually around 700-900 calories, when I have time to cook…My metabolism is so fast I burn through much of what I eat, and it’s actually a problem. I don’t want to have to spend so much time eating and preparing food!

I may not be getting enough water on the Huel, so I will try that. Also adding peanut or almond butter sounds like a great idea.

3 Likes