Recipe Sharing Suggestion

I’m going to be “that guy” and do a little complaining here. This whole thread is dedicated to recipes but very few, if any, posts I’ve read provide any directions. Obviously taste is subjective, but a starting point for someone looking for something new is nice. I saw one that the person described as tasting like a taco. This is at least intriguing to me, but there are no weights/measurements of the ingredients so I have no idea where to begin. Also I know celery was one of the ingredients listed. Is this an actual celery stalk (which I can’t imagine is being used unless being made with an electric blender), or celery seed, or what? Please if you’re going to share a recipe provide quantities and instructions on how to make it.

1 Like

As someone who reads every detail of every recipe as if my life depended on it, I totally hear you. However, I will say a lot of my Huel recipes are eyeballed as I don’t want to dirty up extra dishes, spend time measuring, etc. Sometimes, it can be freeing to just go for a new flavor and surprise yourself, feeling like a proper chef. But obviously, something more daring like a taco flavor should have more clues involved.

If you give a solid food recipe do you just tell them it’s meat, onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and cumin. What is this recipe making? Could be a number of things.

Or do you tell them they’ll need 1 lb chicken, 1 medium sized onion, 1 tbs garlic, 1/2 tbs oregano, 1/2 tbs thyme, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp cumin? Then give them directions to make this into a chicken gyro.

The point is to give a starting reference. If I want to add more flavor I can figure that out. Or I can reduce the amount if I find it too much. But having that starting reference gives people a place to begin.

Finishing my second bag, so I’m still a novice … but I’ve done in just the shaker bottle:

#1 : 114 g vanilla Huel, 20 oz water, 122 g canned pumpkin, and added cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.

#2 : 114 g vanilla Huel, 20 oz water, 24 g powdered peanut butter, and added raspberry jam to taste.

#3 : 114 g vanilla Huel, 10 oz water, 10 oz apple juice, added cinnamon to taste.

#4 : 114 g vanilla Huel, 10 oz water, 10 oz tart cherry juice.

#5 : 114 g vanilla Huel, 20 oz water, 2 tsp instant coffee and squirted in some caramel syrup to taste.

Love the sound of your recipes, thank you for posting those! But I love your handle even more! My husband and I have a 2005 jeep wrangler (off-roading in my profile pic). :sunglasses:

Ha ha. I have a sticker across the top of the front window that says, “Take it out and play with it”. I get some strange looks sometimes.

1 Like

Try to be detailed when I share recipes. However, sometimes I might share something that I did that isn’t really a recipe like maybe I put some Huel into a bowl, added a packet of chicken broth, poured in some Mrs. Dash, and mixed in some hot water until it turned into a thick oatmeal. Maybe I added some cheese. Who knows. I might not have exact measurements because I just did it and tasted it. However, a recipe like this might not need exact measurements because I like my stuff to be heavily flavored and spice, but you might not. All recipes really are are approximations anyways. Some recipes can be very fragile, but most aren’t. Before our modern time in the English renaissance for example, yes, that is basically what they would do. They would be like, this is supposed to make some pottage, throw in a fist full of butter, throw in a handful of this, put some meat in, put in half a bushel of weeks, or just put in as much is you feel like or they don’t even give an amount, and so forth. Even when they did give them out like half a bushel, it would vary a lot because my half a bushel will probably be a different size than your half a bushel. My fistfull or my handful is going to be a different size than your handfull. Some of these recipes have been modernized where the person who modernized it was like, well, half a bushel would be about this much, but that wasn’t actually what the recipe said if that makes sense. Back then, we could have access to the same recipe, and we could both follow the recipe, but Lombard custard might turn out differently than yours. Now, we are a lot more focused on detail. If I give you a recipe for cookies, I want yours to turn out the exact same as mine so that we can share the experience, but that still might not be possible. When you measure a cup of flour, it is going to be different then when I measure a cup of flour. Might say, OK then. We will both get kitchen scales and we will weigh everything out, so that way, when we passed recipes to each other, ours will turn out the exact same, but that still won’t work. My oven is different then your oven. The way I mix is different than the way you mix and that can affect the gluten development and the amount of air pockets and a lot of other things, what you consider golden brown what I consider golden brown, And so forth. Yes, people should be more detailed like you should know what the recipe is supposed to make, but you may also have to except that you can’t ever make your recipe the exact same as the author. That is just impossible. Maybe the only way you could ever do that is if we both had the same machines that were making our recipe, and we had the machines do everything including mixing, and we set all of the times and the amount of force and everything the exact same way. However, even if we did that, there might be some slight variations. Even in the world of manufacturing, there can be slight variations between products that are just considered acceptable. But if we are both making the same recipe by hand, you can count on the fact that mine is not going to be the same as yours. One person it was saying that they tried my muffin recipe and they had to bake they’re my friends way longer than I indicated on the recipe. I said to add water until it forms. I believe that this person could have added much water. Huel absorbs water, so that could be easy to do. What I meant was that you add a tiny bit of water, and you try to need it into a doe. If it is still crumbling apart, can you add a tiny bit more water and then try again. For my muffin recipe, it was a better and I believe I said to add water until batter forms. That means that you add a tiny bit of water, you try to form the batter, and if a batter is not forming despite your best efforts of trying to stir it, then you add more water. It doesn’t mean that you pour in a ton of water and say, this doesn’t look battery enough, I think I’m going to add more. Because Huel absorbs water like a sponge, one part of the mixture could be very wet and another part could be very dry, so you have to actually try to format mixture into a doe or a batter or you can really know if the water is not being distributed evenly or if there isn’t enough water. You can’t go on Weather it looks wet or not either. However, in some cases, the recipe can’t tell you how much water to add. They did not measure it, or in many cases, the amount of water you need it could very from a quarter cup to a half cup depending on how much you have worked your ddot, how do you measure your flower, and waster that is already in your ingredients, and things like that. I just thought I would mention the water issue though because I think a lot of people are doing that. A lot of people seem to have a ridiculous baking times for some of their things, and I think it is because too much water is being added. Also, if your thing is taking forever to bake, you might want to turn up the temperature because if it is something like a cookie or something, and you bake it for a long time on a low temperature, you might dry it out. So some of it is that you have to know cooking terminology as well. You have to think about what the person intended and why they are telling you to do what they are telling you to do. Maybe they specifically said add the lemon juice and baking soda after the batter is next. Why could they be telling you to do that? And if they say that, obviously, it means to mix it into the batter. You wouldn’t just leave the baking soda in the lemon juice on top. Normally though, if they are telling you to add liquid until a go forms for example, what they mean is that you are supposed to actively be trying to format go. You don’t just keep pouring and hope that it will form by itself. Also, if something is sticky, people try to add more water and that is not a good idea. You either need to just deal with it, or add more flour. Especially if the dough is gluten-free, it probably will be sticky. If a doe or a batter is forming in one area, but it is not storming in another area, it is best to try to incorporate the two areas together instead of just trying to add more water. If you have really tried and you have really Inc. the whole batch and a doe or bad or is not forming, then add a little bit more water. Probably start out with half of what the recipe calls for and then just add more like a tablespoon at a time after you have really made an effort and not just assumed based on passive observation that you think you want to add more.