Noom (in 15 characters)

Or more if you like. :smiley:

So I just signed up for the Noom free trial. I’ve heard it mentioned here, what do y’all think about it? Worthwhile? Snake oil? Somewhere in between?

Cheers,
BD

I’ve been using it for the last month or so. I’m enjoying it. I like the educational aspect of it. Definitely gives me more to think about when making eating choices rather than “this food is bad, this food is good”.

I’ve lost about 22lbs in the last month and a half, so I guess it’s working for me.

1 Like

My wife said it was too much reading and that felt like homework. I suspect that a gluten free vegan isn’t getting as much from a “normal” program to modify food behavior because her default choices are already so restricted anyway.

There was another post about how Noom penalizes Huel due to caloric density. That’s perhaps a failure of the algorithm to model how full you feel with Huel. I think caloric density is a good guide or helpful decision support (choosing between two foods at a buffet, eat the less-dense option… but eating twice as much defeats the purpose) - but there are exceptions or edge cases to most “guides”

I think the goal of Noom is to make you more informed so you can continue to make better choices at each meal. How effectively they can help you do that might be as much about your style as it is theirs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like noom is not taking into consideration the water weight. It does look high in calories/gram until you realize each huel meal weighs closer to 600 grams than 100 grams of pure powder. That’s more than a pound of food for only 400 calories.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. So far, I like the educational aspect, and yea, I noticed my Huel lunch about wiped out my “red allotment”.

1 Like