Help convince Noom that Huel is a healthy meal

Noom rates Huel as a red zone food, meaning it is too calorie dense and/or have the least healthy nutrients. I can see the logic if it were a snack, but don’t if it’s used as a meal. The dietitians that have reviewed the label have all said this was a well balanced product.

I completely agree with you Steve. Noom is a weight loss app first so will always look at calorie density poorly. The issue with Huel as a Powder is it ignores the water added and the fact it makes Huel easier to transport and more sustainable.

I can’t see how Noom calculates Huel as a red zone food. Would you mind posting some screenshots so I can have a look?

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.53.10 PM Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.53.48 PM Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.54.07 PM

These are the 3 categories. What is in them is unspecified… It’s sort of like a trial and error learning experience.

Thanks Steve. All I can think is that they have chucked Huel into the red zone purely based on the calorie density of the Powder.

I would definitely take that with a pinch of salt. If you’re tracking your calories and other foods you’ll be good.

Stop wasting your money on Noom! I have not used any diet or paid service and have now lost 59 lbs since April 26, 2019. If you are using Noom to lose weight, cancel your subscription. Install the “LIFE Fasting” app. Start Intermittent Fasting - 16:8 to start. Research Intermittent Fasting. Use Huel 2x per day with a regular Dinner in the evening. End your eating by 6 - 7 PM. And you will see results.

4 Likes

What is Noom and who cares what Noom thinks?

1 Like

Too calorie-dense? Why would a site even concentrate on calories, there are many more factors to consider than just calories. Sounds suspicious, I’m glad I’ve never signed up for Noom.

Caloric density is a way to talk about “fullness” or satiety from food. Remember those little boxes of raisins? The same number of grapes would be more satisfying because of the larger volume.

Usually the highest caloric density is also “junk” calories that do not provide nutrients, so it does make some sense that if you eat a large volume without the proper nutrition, you will suffer in the longer term (even if it is yummy)

Huel contains the nutrition, so it’s not junk calories - but you could eat more than you realize… at least until it expands/settles in your stomach and you regret drinking it too quickly. :slight_smile:

But yeah, Noom doesn’t understand Huel.

2 Likes

Huel is marked Red in noom because it is 400 calories per serving for the powder 3.0. Compare this to other meal replacement or protein shakes that come in around 100 to 120 calories per serving then huel is very much dense in calories. And thats why it is red. Other powders are not rated in red with noom as their calories per serving are not as dense. Remember, foods in red are not always bad food you. They are red either because they lack nutrients, or because they are dense in calories in relation to other foods of the same category.

1 Like

For me, Huel is a lot healthier than what I would be eating instead. I’m not saying it’s a fantastic option for everyone, and there are a lot of doctors who would scoff at it I’m sure, but given my eating habits (which, to be honest, are not likely to change - I have tried) are two meals a day and one item each (unless I eat from a restaurant or someone else cooks for me), a complete meal shake is by far the healthiest option (otherwise, I’d be eating ramen or an entire box of mac and cheese for a meal).

It’s not how many calories you consume that is the issue, it’s what they are and when you consume them. 400 calories for a meal is actually not a lot of calories. 400 calories of high fat and sugar eaten several times a day or right before bed is an issue.

@Steverq Dump it entirely. You could live off of Huel entirely and still dump all the weight you want to easily with no calorie counting. That’s like worrying about getting fat when all you eat is vegetables. You can eat it in excess and be fine.

1 Like