Nightmares and bad dreams

My hubs and I have been having one scoop of banana Huel Black protein with lactose free milk for dinner for the last 5 nights and every night it gives us horrific nightmares and terrible dreams. Surely there must be a ton of chemicals to create that reaction in both of us?

Has anyone actually looked at the ingredients? for example: Side effects of L-methylfolate (in the banana protein powder)

• Altered sleep patterns.
  • Difficulty concentrating.
  • Irritability.
  • Overactivity.
  • Excitement.
  • Confusion.
  • Impaired judgment.
  • Weight loss.

Side effects of menaquinone-7

• Difficulty in swallowing.
  • fast or irregular breathing.
  • lightheadedness or fainting.
  • shortness of breath.
  • skin rash, hives and/or itching.
  • swelling of eyelids, face, or lips.
  • tightness in chest.
  • troubled breathing and/or wheezing.
1 Like

I have not experienced any of the side effects you mentioned, and I have been using Huel, and now Huel Black Edition for two years now.

1 Like

Hey Niki - welcome to the US Huel forum! But oh no, so sorry to hear about this. That does not sound like fun at all. :slightly_frowning_face:

The two ingredients you’ve mentioned are essential vitamins/minerals and Huel contains them in amounts to meet daily value recommendations per 2000 calorie intake of Huel alone:

• L-methlylfolate is a form of folate
  • Menaquinone-7 is a form of vitamin K

I’ve linked our vitamins and minerals page here.

The side effects you’ve mentioned from Mayo Clinic and RxList website are discussing supplements, which are taken at high amounts/dosages (1, 2).

There are also many factors that could go into what you are both experiencing - such as if you take any vitamin or mineral supplements or life events. As a result, I would not be able to comment on the exact reason why this would be occurring.

I’d also recommend you speak with your doctor if you have any additional questions or concerns as they would be best able to advise on this!

2 Likes

One scoop for dinner for 5 nights?

I’d be so hungry, that sleep wouldn’t even be possible.

Huel doesn’t give me nightmares, but then again I don’t believe I ever have any nightmares in my life.

I thought dreams were subconscious and random based on one’s personality and experiances. I didn’t know food could play a part in the subconscious story telling.

I think a lot of the information about on these topics are a bit washy,

I truly believe the amounts are safe for consumption.

I’ve found that if i consume any food/beverage containing protein shortly before bed that i will have more vivid dreams…not necessarily nightmarish, but they can be unpleasant sometimes.
Try consuming at different times to gauge effect.
Have a shake for breakfast, light lunch, regular dinner.
Have a shake for breakfast and again at lunch, regular dinner.
See if this evens out your sleeping movies.
Again, proteins at night will most likely be the cause of your insane dreams.

1 Like

I experience the same things. It’s exacerbated the longer I drink Huel so I wonder if one of the ingredients has an accumulative effect. Maybe the extremely high dose of Omega 3. Who knows but I have exactly the same issue as you after a few days drinking it.

What kind of milk are you using? I want to try this “nightmare huel” you speak of. :grin:

1 Like