Huel Black- Migraines

Hello All! Let me start off by saying that I am a first-time Huel user and am very happy to be a part of the community and share my experiences and learn form others. I was drawn to the product due to its quality nutritional composition and very competitive price ratio.

I ordered one bag of each flavor (Vanilla, Chocolate) and took Vanilla as my first meal of the day.

For some reason within 30 minutes of taking Huel I experienced a subtle headache which has only slightly subsided, coupled with lights appearing extra bright (not severe blurriness by any means, but noticeable enough for me to dig into).

Do we know a definite reason why these occur, how long they typically lasted before your body gets used to it, and what ingredient may be responsible if so.?

It is definitely not a hydration issue as I am an avid above average hydrater (1.25 gal/day). Neither is it a fiber intake issue as I regularly have consumed more fiber daily at a time without issue for the past 2 months.

• I have zero issues with taste/consistency. I really want to like huel, but I have to isolate the variable with migraines as I don’t want to have a stroke lol

Thanks

That’s very strange. There’s no definite reason for these symptoms to occur.

It’s possible you have an issue with stevia but these aren’t typical allergy symptoms.

Apologies I can’t be of more help.

I have been using Huel since April 2019 and I have never experienced anything like this before. I have had Huel v1.1, Huel v3.0 & now Huel Black Edition. None of those have ever given me a headache or made light an issue.

Sorry to hear of your reaction. I hope you figure it out.

I’m wondering if this has a connection to the “oestrogens” in Flaxseed. Looking back over previous threads they seem to have others reporting these symptoms aswell which may be hormone induced migraines.

Highly unlikely. We have a good summary and full article on phytoestrogens and flaxseed if you’re interested: https://huel.com/pages/flaxseed-overview-of-health-benefits-recommended-intake-and-caution

It might be Manganese.

For a short time, I was eating oatmeal 2-3 times/day, with a Manganese over 10-11 mg. That gave me a slight headache. I seemed to develop a resistance to it.

I noticed Huel’s Manganese is 7+ mg, which is higher than most people’s natural diets.

I’ve had the same issues, but only with Huel Black as of recently (past few months)

I used regular Huel and Huel Black for years with no issues (multiple different versions.) And ever since the past few months, I get a bad headache about 30 minutes after I begin drinking the shake.

This happens consistently across all Black flavors, at different times of day.

Totally bummed as I’ve been using Huel products for years and even got multiple friends using Huel too, but I’m not on the fence if I should continue using/ recommending it as the headaches are so consistent and annoying!

I haven’t had issues with headaches, but I also drink a lot of water before and after the shake. I would just suggest drinking a little more water and that might help mitigate headaches and migraines.

Hello, I also get optical migraines when I take the black powder. But I also do this with the sugar free Mio, within 20-40 minutes of ingesting. My dad had the same thing when he drinks diet pop (which I don’t drink). I’ll go over the ingredients tonight to see what they have in common. The mechanism that causes the migraine is when one of the ingredients causes a big drop in blood sugar. The bigger the drop, the worse the migraine.