Mega Headaches!

I get really bad, can’t-see-straight headaches 30mins to an hour after drinking huel. These headaches don’t go away all day, though I can sometimes tame them by eating animal protein, a salty carb, and drinking a huge glass of water.

I have the vanilla and I use the mint chocolate flavor powder. I was doing some reading and found out that stevia is related to ragweed, so can cause the same symptoms if you’re allergic to ragweed…headaches among them. Also, apparently sucralose is known to cause headaches. I have never eaten fake sugar before, so I’m thinking those two ingredients might be the culprits.

Maybe I should try the plain, but I don’t want to sink more $ into something that might make me feel bad.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone want to do a bag swap of vanilla for plain?

Hey there! :wave: Sorry to hear about your headaches! :face_with_head_bandage: That’s never fun and while this could stem from a number of factors, I want to give you some tips to hopefully provide some relief. :blush:

1. Be sure to drink plenty of water in addition to what you’re using in your Huel. Dehydration can be the cause of headaches as well.
  2. Our Vanilla Huel does use a sweetener system with stevia and sucralose, however, the amount of sucralose is minimal as discussed in our article, here. Ultimately, everyone’s dietary needs are unique and we want you to find what works best for you! If you happen to be sensitive to sucralose, I would definitely recommend the unflavored/unsweetened Huel that you can then flavor and sweeten on your own.
  3. A lot of Huelers claim their ideal Huel is a mix of the vanilla and the U/U for the perfect touch of sweetness and less effort than other flavoring, sweetening options.

Hope this helps! Check your inbox too. :mailbox_with_mail:

1 Like

thank you! i also responded to your pm.

Consider the possibility it may have nothing to do with any ingredient in the product and was just a coincidence that the symptom started after ingesting food. When someone describes to me “really bad, can’t-see-straight headache”, the first alarm that comes to my mind is brain aneurysm. I am being very serious here. Intracranial hemorrhage from an aneurysm is very serious and can be fatal. The next time you experience something this bad, you need to get to the ER and get a CT scan.

My significant other had very bad headaches twice during exercise and found out it was an aneurysm. Luckily, it was caught early, and her life was saved. Otherwise, I would be have attended her funeral instead of visited her in the hospital.

Hi Deron,
Thank you for your concern! This has been happening every time I drink huel, which has been every few days for over a month…I’m almost through my first bag.
I will check in with my physician though.
I’m glad your girlfried caught hers!