Loving 3.0 - Yeah I said it!

Not trying to stir anybody up, but I’m baffled by the 3.0 “controversy” on this forum. I LOVE 3.0 (regular). For me Vanilla, Chocolate, and now Berry 3.0 have been massive flavor improvements over the previous version. Come on, I surely can’t be crazy here. I was not a huge fan of the flavor of last summer’s 2019 update: I made it work just fine, but thought it was a bit on the bland side. For me, the 3.0 flavors just flat out taste better. I enjoy, and look forward to drinking them. And seemingly less bloat after consumption too.
As for the much discussed clumping issue…well, ok maybe 4-5% clumpier…MAYBE? It has had virtually no impact on my life whatsoever. I’ve always used a cheap mesh shaker ball in my Huel cup anyway, but I just shake (vigorously of course) for an extra 2-3 seconds. That generally does it. Also, sometimes simply letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before consumption will break down those last bits. That’s really all there is to it for me. Again, not trying to upset anyone, but it’s such a non-issue that I’d hate for the nutrition or flavor to be sacrificed because of it.
Just trying to offer a more positive take on 3.0 than what I’m seeing currently on the forum. I know we all taste and experience things differently, but I immediately took to the new 3.0 flavors and formula. If anybody’s on the fence, seriously give it a shot!

12 Likes

We could not agree more with you! We do believe that our main intention when formulating the V.3 powder focuses on creating an improved taste and quality for our customers to love. We are thrilled that you are enjoying all three flavors and have had a positive outcome overall in comparison to our oldest versions. Thank you as well for sharing those helpful tips when preparing your shake! :heart::grin:

3 Likes

I just started Huel this week so i have no frame of reference for the earlier versions, but i noticed today that my 3rd time drinking the chocolate, and it tasted more chocolatey this time. I hope the vanilla does the same thing. my first serving of the vanilla was pretty bland.

4 Likes

Yup, same here. I like it and it works for me. Others may disagree. People need to try it and decide on their own.

4 Likes

Throw in a frozen banana, a few strawberries, or some instant coffee. Sometimes, if I’m feeling really crazy, I’ll drop a bit of peanut butter in with the chocolate. It helps if you’re getting bored of the flavor after a while.

2 Likes

I actually do like 3.0 as well, but I do have an issue with clumping. I notice it significantly more then I did with v 1.1, however I usually blend my huel now so I’ve gotten past it for the most part.
Other then that, I really enjoy the taste of 3.0’s chocolate. I’ve yet to try vanilla, but I will definitely get that in my next order. I didn’t like 1.1 vanilla at all.
I do hope however, that an updated version will address the clumping; version 1.1 chocolate was a lot smoother for me in that regard.
Other then that though, I’m with you.

3 Likes

I hated it, but your post made me realize why I hate it so much. I think I simply have a much stronger sense of taste than some of the people who like it. To me, the huel from the 2019 update had a strong, sweet flavor, the chocolate was very chocolatey and the vanilla was nice, pleasant, not too bold, but not too mild, either. To me, the v 3.0 tastes unbearably strong. It’s not even that there’s anything especially bad about it, just that it’s far too intense of a flavor, like drinking concentrate.

1 Like

It really is fascinating how we all can perceive taste in such different ways.

1 Like

I’m like you. I’ve given up on the new berry as it is just too strong no matter what, but I have been able to enjoy the chocolate and vanilla by mixing with unflavored / unsweetened. The ratio I’ve been using is 50/50 for chocolate black to U/U and 25/75 for vanilla to U/U (to which I also add 12oz cold brew coffee). You might try giving diluting it with U/U a shot and see if you can tolerate the new sweetness.

1 Like

I think many if not most people could acclimate to the taste of UU if they give it a solid chance. If not, then there are options such as adding bananas, blueberries or other natural flavors to avoid the constant sucrulose intake over the long term.

1 Like

Hi all-
I’ve been using Huel for over 2 years now and wanted to add in. My complaint is not one of perception but observable fact. I like the 3.0 flavors just fine - not better or worse enough to break me. But the texture is a HUGE step back.

I use a Huel shaker, add in about 1/2 of crushed ice, half water, 2 scoops, more water, and then shake like hell for 20 seconds. When using 1.0, I had no clumping. With 3.0 there are always large chunks left in the bottom that even if I add more water and shake (after finishing the shake), they STILL don’t break up.

When I throw it in to the blender for a morning smoothie, this is less of an issue - but I have relied on Huel for my lunch and on-the-go meals. And the chunkiness is tough. While thickness, smoothness, etc is certainly perceptive, I can clearly see a collection of clumps on the bottom with 3.0 (that I did not with 1.0).

Ive read that this is less of an issue with Black? Can anyone else confirm?

I rarely have any clumping what-so-ever using the method described in the other post - I solely use Huel Black Edition, and I mix them all the same every time. Once I figured out what works best, I’ve been doing the same thing to each Huel bottle - hasn’t failed me since.

Could we recommend doing the same steps except perhaps adding one scoop and more water than usual and mix then setting it aside and then repeat the process with the second scoop and then mixing them together to see if the clumps would go away?

1 Like

Ill try it for sure.

But some of the solutions that involve letting it sit for 30 mins etc really hinder the portability. Just a major bummer…

I had better results today using hot water (half), 2 scoops, shaking, adding ice (more than usual), and then shaking some more. No large clumps.

Again, when I make Huel at work or when we are are out on the weekends, I dont have hot water access — so not a fix.

Thanks, Justin:
I also read on a reddit forum that the Huel Black users arent having the clumping issue — it seems to be something about the amount of ingredients from which Huel gets its carbs.

I have been doing this the past few months and it has helped a bit.

1 Like

Saaame! I started with 2.0 and ALMOST cancelled my subscription. Then 3.0 Black came along. I wake up every morning craving this stuff. When I get to the bottom of my shake I’ll add more water and re shake. This gets rid of the so-called clumps, with the added benefit of more water in my diet.

1 Like

v3 is a big improvement on 2.3

dat black edition dow

2 Likes

I get no clumping when blending w/ice and raw honey. I’ve not used the shaker except to measure the liquids. I use 60/40 water/almond or other nut milk. Thinking about trying coconut milk next.

1 Like

This is great if you have access to a blender at all times. This is not the case for the middle of the day while at work, or out on the trail, or on the go. When I put 3.0 in the blender for the morning smoothie, its fine. Is what it is at this point. Going to make my way through the rest of my 3.0 and then try black.