V1.1 to 2.0 to 3.0. From good to bad to worse

I started my journey using huel with v1.1
Never got to try 1.0
Huel 1.1 was exactly what was was looking for and got me hooked on the product. I’ve mixed it with water at work for lunch convenience. Version 2.0 was “different” the taste was worse, but bearable. The new version 3.0 is awful. IT DOES NOT MIX. The R&D people at huel saying they don’t have a problem can’t be telling the truth. There is no way all these people are having problems but they are not. Either they’re flat out lying or downplaying their customers.
I’m not using a blender for v3.0, that’s not convenient. If I had to do that I’ll just make a sandwich.
Anyway how to I buy v1.1? I heard there is still a way and I’d like to purchase that again, but when it runs out, I’m out. I cannot be a part of the downward spiral that is this product anymore.

4 Likes

We absolutely are telling the truth. We wouldn’t lie to Hueligans it’s not our way. I’m sorry if you feel we’ve played down these issues, this was not intended. We are listening.

In the US we moved from v1.1 to v3.0 there was not v2.0. You can see more about the version history here.

You can find the outlet store here.

1 Like

Dan, how are you mixing? You can’t be shaking it in the container and not getting any lumps. If so, please detail your steps. On v1.1 i would add a metal spiral shaker ball and it was completely smooth. v3.0 is clumpy lumpy.

To be honest, i prefer the oat taste of 1.1 and not too keen on the vanilla or chocolate of 3.0. I suspect that you guys went with a different formula to thicken the product because some people can’t figure out to use less water in 1.1 if they wanted it thicker like a shake. Personally, i could care less if its a thick shake or not.

Personal opinion you ruined the flavor in 3.0 from 1.1 as is evidenced by a lot of the feedback here.

@Clarky is correct, if i have to use a blender which is never convenient for me as i’m at work for my two meals then i may as well seek other options. Now, can i get through the tapioca gelatinous balls, of course! But i’m going back to 1.1 until the supplies run out then i’ll figure out alternatives from there. Man you guys ruined a great thing.

2 Likes

I just made a batch, shaking in the container, not getting any lumps. I did nothing special, just shook vigorously.

Are you using the right amount of water for the powder quantity? Are you remembering to put the plastic mesh thing inside the lid of the shaker?

No problems with mixing 3.0 here - and I even add a scoop of pea protein powder in the blender bottle (that stuff is like powdered glue). Shake for 10-15 seconds, tops, and good to go; no lumps.

Would you mind telling me if you are in US, UK, elsewhere? What flavor are you using?

This is mind boggling that people can have this experience. I’ve tried everything, and I mean everything, to get the Huel to mix well by hand. Is it possible we’re not using the same product?

Can someone at Huel comment on whether every region is getting the same product? Does US Huel come from the same factory as UK Huel? Could there be something in the manufacturing process at the factory that produces the US Huel?

Mathew:

Please see my comment to Helios. Thanks!

I’m in the US, using a newly opened bag of US Huel 3.0.

I do put the water in the shaker before the powder, but that’s just how I’d handle any powder, to stop it getting stuck in the corners.

I wonder what was different about my October order then? The taste was different than the first two? Either way, my December order of 3.0 has been awful.

I am in the US. I put about 18 to 20 ounces of water in the shaker cup, 3 scoops of the old original scoop, then add the plastic cover and lid. I shake as vigorously as I can for about 30 seconds. No matter what I do I still get clumps that I can almost chew and when I rinse the container in our sink there is so many large clumps it clogs the drain and I have to smash them with the sponge for them to wash down the sink.
I never had a problem with the first version I tried.

Is there any chance at all that versions would be rolled back to a previous one? I’m not talking next month or anything, but even if it’s a year from now?

I’m in the U.S. (Kentucky). I’m using Huel Black, Vanilla, with the shaker bottle provided. I mix with filtered municipal tap water (moderately hard water). I don’t know if that makes a difference- I’ve never mixed Huel with anything other than water. I start with 15 oz water, add protein powder & Huel, shake 5-10 seconds, top off with more water, shake 5-10 seconds, and refrigerate overnight. Never had a problem with consistency or clumps.

1 Like

I haven’t tried the Huel Black and won’t purchase it because of the cost and the experience with my first Huel 3.0
I use a 5 gallon water jug to mix. The water comes from one of those vending machines outside of convenience stores. Probably r/o or super filtered water.

Okay, thanks. I think the “refrigerate overnight” part is the difference. It does help to let it sit for a while if you can plan ahead.

i’m using 2 scoops and putting about 7 oz of water in first, then topping off to the rim where the mesh sits so about 17-19 oz water total? I also add this type of ball (not recommending a particular manufacturer… just search “Wire Shaker Ball”) . Wire Shaker Ball

This ball worked well on v1.1 a few shakes no lumps.

Now, to be fair… i’d prefer if there were no lumps but they don’t really bother me as a texture thing. I’d prefer no to have them but I do miss the oat taste of the original. I read further below that letting it sit might help but i make on demand and drink right away and even add more water (4-6 oz) for a second and third shaking to consume all the powder. Just don’t like being told its not lump when it clearly is for me anyway.

Hey @Clarky! I can’t assure you we’ll roll back to the specific formula of our v1.1 Huel Powder, but I can assure you we take all of our Hueligan feedback very seriously so when we do roll out a new version of our Powder it’s closely aligned with what our faithful Hueligans want and expect! Our product development team is looking deep into these complaints to understand the scale and root cause so we do appreciate the feedback.

I hope you have a great Tuesday!

Please understand I find your claim of the R&D people are not experiencing the same issues dubious, at best. I’ve had a few bags of 3.0 (from two different orders) and every single one has the issue multiple people on this site proclaim.

I’ve been a Huel customer for some time, and based on many factors I’m looking to move on, but the only reason I’ve stopped recommending your product is that it would ruin my credibility with people who previously relied on me to provide sound nutritional advice.

Some understanding beyond “we’re taking your claims seriously” would go a long ways toward restoring faith of many people, and might keep us here a little longer waiting for a solution to the very real problem with version 3.0.

He’s not lying either. My first 3.0 mix this morning, and i’ve been shaking for minutes with the same powder to water ratio as usual. Please bring 1.0 back, otherwise you’re going to lose so many customers, it’s not a bad thing to admit you got it wrong and listen to your customers.

Well, any significant changes to formula take some time to come to market. There’s probably a hundred steps that have to happen before we’d see a 3.1 version. And there’s no doubt trial and error in developing 3.1, plan B and C and F, and rewriting here and there, internal emails, securing raw materials. Not to mention, they have to QA test to be absolutely sure they get the same clumping results that anonymous people report on social boards. (As customer service reps, they have to take every anonymous report with a grain of salt.) So, they cannot reveal intermediate progress with any work on a version 3.1. If they started telling us something and then had to change direction, then it might confuse people. People latch on to words and want to hold Huel’s feet to the fire. So they gotta make sure that any changes to 3.1 are ones that they are 100% confident on. All these things take time. In a competitive food market such as this, where the revenue streams effect their ability to pay their mortgages, I am certain they are actually listening and doing QA and trying to better the product.

Huel workers do not intentionally design a version 3.0 to piss off established customers and then wake up each morning drinking their Cafe Mocha Soylent and go to their computers and maniacally laugh as customers, one by one, post their dissatisfaction. And then they ring a celebration bell every time a customer says “I’m leaving.” Sitting in their skull chairs, petting their cats (because this is how I imagine every over-the-top villain conducting their business). And then Julian announces, “for version 3.1, we will add the tears of our fallen customers to the formulation. Mwaaaa, haaa, haaaaa.”

I’m just waiting for the inevitable backlash when Huel brings us Huel Energy drinks. It’s gonna happen, like it not guys.

Please don’t put words into my mouth. Never once did I imply the Huel workers were malicious in designing v 3.0 inferior to previous versions. I merely implied that they were incompetent not to notice this issue, or dishonest in saying they cannot replicate the issue.

Your post was meant to distract from the real issue at hand: that numerous claims of clumping while mixing and other attributes of 3.0 were poorly received and perceived as inferior to v 3.0. I understand it will take time to tweak the formula, re-tool, QA, and bring to market. We all understand that.

The issue is that I have yet to hear them claim to be able to replicate the clumping/poor mixability issue in R&D, which means that future products may have the same issue.

I’ve already started cutting my v 3.0 Huel with oat powder in an attempt to lower the fat content and increase mixability, which it does. My latest and future orders will be v1.1. That’s not a long term solution, though, and if they can’t fix this issue I’m probably going to just stop using their product eventually. That sucks because I’ve used the previous versions for quite some time and I really liked it.

1 Like

I’m not sure if my comments have been understood but I don’t think anyone is lying.

This is a fair comment. We are constantly looking into our product development and review process. Over the last few months we have hired several people in this area.