Huel Cakes/Cookies

Hey there! I just made my first attempt at anything other than a huel shake and it turned out very… subpar. I made these sort of huel cake/cookie/brownie things and the flavor is just so bland which shocked me because the 3.0 chocolate flavor is too rich for me alone in shake form.

The recipe I followed was posted somewhere in here and I tweaked it a little:
6 scoops of chocolate huel
1 and 1/3 cup water
1 tsp + a pinch of salt
1 heaping tsp coconut oil

Anyone have any recommendations for the flavor? My partner is allergic to nuts so I can’t add anything nut related, otherwise I’d try peanut butter. I actually like the texture and consistency I just need something to give the flavor an oomph without making it less healthy. Thanks in advance y’all!

I’m a big fan of making Huel bread. Just tried the 3.0 Vanilla flavor, not bad.

You sound a little like me, taste wise, the Huel flavors are a little subtle for my particular taste. I always need to add a little something to it.

Sounds interesting! Happen to have the recipe on hand? :slight_smile:

Replace the water with coffee
Cinnamon, Spanish paprika, cloves, cayenne (ikr, but seriously yes), chai tea powder

Those are just to change/add flavor. If you mashed an overripe banana into that batter you’ll add sweet and a bit of extra stickiness that’ll cause more browning and prevent the cookie from settling as much. You can also use milk, which has additional fat and proteins that will change the texture too.

Keep experimenting.

Just keep in mind that you are still consuming the nutrition of Huel and as you perfect these cookies it might become easy to “snack” your way to 400+ extra calories.

I am definitely not going to binge on them haha! They are mainly to provide a sort of mouth feel that I sometimes crave when doing long bouts of mainly or only liquid food. I’ll definitely try adding the spices, throwing in coffee instead of water definitely sounds interesting. Any advice on how to make them crisper rather than spongey? I don’t mind the spongey texture but given the choice I do prefer crispy cookies.

I didn’t know. I think these might help.

The gist of all those ideas is have the cookie dough flatten out as they bake so the dry and brown better. I wonder if Huel black would bake differently with higher protein compared to carbs. Lower temp, longer time might help dry the cookie more. Also, darker cookie sheet can help them brown more. Have you tried butter instead of the coconut oil? Yeah, definitely not vegan but that might not be your concern?

You can sub out 1 cup Huel for one cup regular flour. My recipe:
1 1/8 cup water
3 tbs oil
1 tsp salt
3 tbs sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup Huel
2 tsp yeast.

Toss it all in the bread machine hopper and hit the GO! button.

I sometimes add a couple teaspoons of garlic powder and black pepper.

Thanks for the bread recipe! I will definitely be trying it soon. As far as the cookies I’ll try a lower temp at longer time and see how butter works for it :slight_smile:

I haven’t tried this myself, but generally when I am craving a stronger chocolate flavor, I add cocoa powder. It’s very minimal in calories, but will make it more bitter so I would go light with that.