Help with cookie recipe

I was wondering if someone could help me with my cookie recipe. I am not vegan, but whether it is best to modify it to be vegan or not is fine with me as well as having a vegan version. The problem is that my Huel cookies are really cakey. I wanted something that was more thin and crunchy and that would spread out. Here’s what I did. I got 2 cups of vanilla Huel and I added six packets of Splenda to that to make it a little bit sweeter. I also added 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice although if you just wanted a sugar cookie you wouldn’t have to do that. Then, I mixed in one egg, A quarter cup of olive oil, a teaspoon of lemon juice, and a teaspoon of baking soda. Then I mixed it together to form a doe and I added water until the dough was like the consistency of Plato. Then, I put the cookies on the cookie sheet and flattened them out in case they did not spread, which they didn’t. I put them in at 350 and baked them for 10 minutes. They tasted very good and they were baked all the way through, but they did not spread at all, and they were more fluffy and cakey. I was looking for something more crunchy. Does anyone have suggestions of what I could do? Would leaving out the egg help, should I add less fat, should I use a different fat, or what do you think my problem could be? Do you think maybe if I left out the baking soda and lemon juice it would be more crunchy? I wanted this to be a base so that I could add chocolate chips, pumpkin pie spice, leave it as a sugar cookie, add nuts or coconut, or whatever I wanted to do.

1 Like

I made some chocolate huel bars. I baked them for 30min and they were brownie like in texture. I suppose if one baked them longer they would become crunchy.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. I think if you bake it too long it will burn.

Sabra Ewing

Every time I’ve baked with Huel based cookies or muffins, I’ve had to bake a long time. Like 30 to 50 minutes.

But two things come to mind.

1. Gotta make them real flat if you want them to be a crispy.

2. No oil. It’s probably making them too moist and fluffy.

Just made mine tonight. Mine are mega meal replacements.

Smashed up ripe banana, apple sauce, vanilla Huel powder, PB2 powder, Ezekiel cereal, pumpkin pie spice, and raisins. Made it so thick it was like the consistency of a salmon patty, but obviously with no salmon. So thick these would not run at all. They aren’t crunchy though. They are almost rubber like consistency but taste good. I cooked them low, 325 F for 35 minutes.IMG_20190305_212500

1 Like

I might try that. You should try making them again at like 375 for maybe 15 or 20 minutes.

Sabra Ewing

I just use the oil because I didn’t have any butter or anything like that.

Sabra Ewing

Well, I was trying to steer you away from added oil. From what I’ve been researching recently, seems that oils aren’t particularly good for us. They are a concentrated, processed part of the plant. When added to our foods they can give us concentrations of fats that are not normally found in nature. Kinda like extracting sugar out of corn or sugar cane and then adding this concentrated component into our food, creating something that has far more sugar than is naturally found. The end result is a food that humans haven’t evolved (or were designed, depending on your beliefs) to consume.

Look, I get it. I am not preaching. There is some oil which winds up in my salad dressing and my hummus. And some sucrose ends up in some of my foods. And sunflower oil powder is added to Huel for the purpose of achieving a particular nutrition profile. But we should try, if at all possible, to minimize the consumption of these concentrated fats (oils) or sugars (sucrose, high fructose corn syrup) since the research shows it’s not good for our livers. These are probably the sources of much insulin resistance.

Maybe I shouldn’t have even brought up the subject. But, try them without the added oil or butter to see how they taste. You might find you don’t even need it.

That’s fine. I didn’t realize you were talking about butter as well. Sorry. I have tried it without any added oil or butter, but it comes out really really dry.

Sabra Ewing

1 Like

How long will these baked good keep? Is this an eat same day sort of thing or can they be stored for a few days or more?

I would say a week or two.

Sabra Ewing

The ones I’ve made store in the refrigerator for like 7 to 10 days. I just microwave to warm up before eating.