How much should I order? Brand new Huelie, please help!

Hello everyone!

I would like to start using Huel as a full dietary replacement for weight loss. I’ve done things like nutrisystem in the past, and found that I really enjoyed their shakes and had no problem with primarily consuming those when life got busy (I’m a second year medical student, so life is… very busy…). I don’t think switching to a Huel-strict diet will be too difficult for me (hopefully) and I need to make a drastic change in my weight.

I’m a 24 year old female, 5’7" and weigh 273 currently. According to the calorie calculator, I’d have to consume 2,425 calories daily to maintain my current weight. Just to be clear, I want to LOSE as much weight as possible and begin leading a healthier lifestyle altogether.

So - what should I order? How do I do this? Please give me all of your advice!

I feel like powdered Huel lends itself to weight loss more than the ready-to-drink (RTD) bottles due to its higher protein content, which helps you burn fat rather than muscle during weight loss. Its also cheaper.

On the other hand, if you are going to be out and about all day and don’t feel like carrying powder and a shaker around and having to mix it, explain what it is, etc. RTD still has a good amount of protein and has a much more popular texture.

One “meal” of Huel (one bottle of the RTD, or two level scoops of the powder) is 400 calories. I would start with five “meals” a day, although if you really want to go fast, you could probably get by with four.

As for flavors, I think Berry is the best as far as the powders go. I also think Berry is best as far as the RTD goes as well, but most people seem to prefer the Vanilla RTD.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Your advice is really helpful and definitely appreciated. I was having a hard time sifting through posts to try to find the other newbies who had asked anything similar, I haven’t quite gotten the hang of this platform yet.

I saw a suggestion from some folks to pre-weigh/portion some servings of powder and put them in ziploc baggies to make it easier for on the go. I think I’ll try that. Right now I’m in my “dedicated study period” for my first board licensing exam anyway, so I’m not getting out much :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m down 16 lbs this month, started HUEL RTD earlier this month as a Vega convert and I’m loving it.

2 Likes

I started Huel 3 weeks ago as part of my weight loss regimen. I am consuming roughly 66% of my daily calories in Huel, a 500 calorie morning shake and a 500 calorie evening shake. I have a 500 calorie lunch of “normal” food and if hungry a 60-100 calorie mid morning snack. So between 1500-1600 calories per day right now depending on how hungry I feel.

I had my first check in with my doctor today after starting my program, I am down 12 lbs and 3 inches in 3 weeks. I have a bit longer journey than you do at 5’6” 300 lbs today, but am very pleased with my progress, as was my doctor.

As far as flavors, I really like the berry and vanilla powder, and can’t stand the chocolate. I never drink it plain though. 400 calories of Huel and 100 calories of other ingredients to suit my taste buds.

A good blender is key for a nice consistency, otherwise it is a bit gritty when using powder. Making it the night before is even better! Good luck on your journey.

2 Likes

Congrats on your weight loss! I hope I can be so successful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I replace 2 meals with Huel, dinner in the evening and two snacks throughout the day. All in I rarely go over 1700 calories.

12 lbs in 3 weeks is awesome! We’re not too far apart weight wise - by the time I get my shipment we’ll likely be close to the same place if you keep up the great progress!

If you don’t mind me asking - what do you typically have for lunch and snacks?

I’m on a very limited income (aka - I have no income, I live on student loans) so any suggestions in that realm would be great too. Currently I eat a lot of ramen :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Nice! If you don’t mind sharing - what do you typically have for dinner and your snacks?

Ahh being a college student, good times! I love ramen, and have made it many ways, most with the water drained and adding a protein source when I was in school. I go out to lunch every day with my teammates at work. I eat things like Thai chicken basil, chicken Cesar salad going easy on the dressing, steak tacos (steak, guacamole, lettuce and tomato, no cheese), a slice of veggie pizza, etc. pretty much any that sounds good, minding portion size to keep calories in check. It always has protein as the bulk of the calories though.

1 Like

I usually have fruit or trail mix that I make myself. On occasion I’ll have Vega protein chips as an indulgence of sorts. You have to modify the things you enjoy eating to work for you so you don’t miss them to the point that you’ll go off the rails while being health conscious at the same time.

I’m trying Huel-only today. I was planning on doing 1,000 calories of Huel… Just for today. But I just had a twix. Otherwise Huel-only today! and still under 2,000 cal.

Hey now - college was bad, but my graduate school budget is even worse than my college budget was :weary:

What made you decide to do 1,000 calories today? Congrats on day 1!

I can get away with eating so little food in a day if its all Huel. The only real repercussion is hunger, and that’s why god invented Diet Pepsi.

I just started Huel, but I enjoy it immensely. I’m a 19 year old female, 5’5, I’m guessing in the 250-260lb range (I haven’t weighed myself in quite sometime). I am starting out with 3 shakes a day and then healthy snacks peppered throughout the day.

On days I know I’ll be doing more activity than usual, I might drink another shake. On days I know I’m gonna be lazy and not do much, I might not eat snacks and stick with Huel only.

(3 shakes a day at standard 400calorie serving will be 5 bags a month)

I am also eating all this on the crazy budget of a 19 year old who works a min. wage job, and I saw budget was a big concern for you. I’m happy to talk more about that as well.

Thank you for your reply!
Do you find yourself getting really hungry between shakes or is three a day a good amount for you? I guess thinking about it, 5 bags a month would be around $165 (without the subscription/etc) which isn’t much. What do you like about it? What do you have for snacks when you do? Do you exercise regularly?

I’m sorry for asking so many questions - you certainly don’t have to answer all or any of them - but you’re doing what I wanted to do, and are similar to me in height/weight/age/saab so :’)

I almost feel crazy for wanting to switch to an all liquid diet - but honestly it’ll be way more affordable and hopefully help me get to a more healthy/more confident size that I can be happy with.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Huel for months. I always have it for breakfast, and some times for lunch. I wanted to do lower calories today because I’d like to lose a few, and I had too much food yesterday… :slight_smile:

Day one, order arrived this morning. So far, no hunger between meals.
I’m a very picky eater, and I enjoy the oaty flavor of Huel and I like how it doesn’t overpower my senses with taste and smell and texture. I’m the odd duck whose favorite type of cereal is the unsweetened shredded wheat, and this has a very similar flavor in my opinion, just in liquid form.
As far as snacks, like I said I’m very picky, and constantly eating the same things over and over again doesn’t really bother me. I like dried cranberries, granola, bananas, celery dipped in peanut butter. If I do a larger meal it will probably be a grain (quinoa or brown rice, or both) and some fish. I’d say about 1,650 calories in a day.
I do exercise, I work a manual job and well as train Taekwondo and workout independently as well sometimes.
I think that covers all your questions! :grin:

My husband and I have both been doing Huel for breakfast and lunch 5 days a week and we love it. He uses the chocolate flavor boost or sometimes adds fresh strawberries; I like the vanilla flavor but do add chia seeds for a little extra thickness. We have a big blender so we can mix up two at a time which is MUCH easier than stirring them up by hand. We do ours the night before so they have time to thicken up before drinking. When I get to work in the morning, I drink one right away and stick the other in the fridge for later. I generally have my breakfast shake at 8 or 9 and then my lunch shake at 2 pm, followed by a regular dinner about 7 pm. For dinner, we tend to eat pretty healthy: last night I was in a hurry so I had tomato soup and sourdough bread. Tonight we’re having salads and tomorrow we’re having mushroom gyros (it’s a vegan thing). We’ve both lost weight - I’m down about 15 pounds since October, I think. Good luck on your journey!