How Do I Handle The Taste?

I can’t handle the taste or the texture. The texture is pure chalk and I really want to like this item. I know about the frozen fruits but is there ANYTHING else I can do??? I spent too much money on this to just give up. I got the Chocolate Mint Flavor packer but in my opinion that taste bad as well. I don’t know what to do!

The best thing to do for texture is to let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour before drinking. It will get rid of the grit and make it much smoother. I typically make my shake in the morning and let it sit in the fridge at work until lunch.

1 Like

I agree with Kris. More than likely the chalk/grit you are experiencing is probably the Flax seed. I use a blender, mix and chill over night. The Flax gets much softer and chilling actually changes the flavor for me to something more like pancake batter. Adding honey or cinnamon when you blend will also add flavor.

Hi Kiley! Sorry to hear you aren’t a big fan of the taste. Since Huel is such a versatile product and everyone’s tastes and preferences are so unique, it can take a little experimenting to find what is just right for you. To get started, here are some of my top tips for new Huelers:

1. Make sure that you are adding liquid before powder. That will help avoid lumps and get a better consistency. Also, the quicker you shake it up, the better.

2. If you like a thinner consistency, add more liquid, but also don’t let your Huel sit for too long as it will thicken over time.

3. If you do like a thicker Huel, leaving it in the fridge overnight creates a thicker, sweeter Huel.

4. If the unique Huel texture is difficult for you, blending it might seem like a pain, but it is the best way to get a smooth texture. It’s also a good baby step to help you get used to the texture so that you can eventually just shake and go.

5. Don’t shy away from playing around with different Huel concoctions. Try things like almond milk (unsweetened, chocolate, coconut milk blend, etc.), cold brew (my personal fave), adding powdered peanut butter (I love the chocolate peanut butter), and once you’re feeling really brave, you can try things like spicy V8 or some of the more unique mixes that other Huelers list on our forum.

6. If you’re using the vanilla, a lot of Huelers mention mixing the U/U Huel with the vanilla for their optimum flavor and sweetness level. If you’re using just U/U then play around with sweeteners and flavoring, such as the peanut butter I mentioned, monk fruit sweetener, our other flavor boosts, etc.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions along the way.

3 Likes

I had the same issue when I first tried Huel as well.

Top 3 Tips:

1. Don’t use the shake method, use an actual blender. I picked up a nice little one at Walmart for about $30 and it works great.

2. Add more water. Huel suggests adding 500ml of water, but I found that to be too thick for my taste. I use about 575ml of water with some ice cubes and the end result has the texture of a fruit smoothie.

3. Plan ahead! Make your shake in advance if possible and allow it to chill in the fridge. This makes the mixture thicker, but it will also eliminate the grittiness you’re experiencing.

Good luck on your journey to a better you!

2 Likes

Add a shot of coffee mixed in 100mls of hot water x

1 Like

Coffee creamer is my favorite add-in so far, and at room temp (after mixing before bed and refrigerating overnight).

1 Like

I know I’m late to this post but using a blender really helps me.