Goodbye Huel? :(

Religion was brought in by way of explanation. Asking someone else to defend their religion in this forum is inappropriate, and your use of language is belittling.

6 Likes

I fail to see what was belittling but I apologize if I came across this way nevertheless. The idea wasn’t to hurt anybody but to underline a couple of facts and I stand behind what I said earlier minus any potential words that might have triggered the feeling of belittling, of course. As I said, this is a mixed community and it’s best to leave personal believe systems out of it. At the end of the day, my view is nothing else but some form of faith as well, isn’t it? Still, I wouldn’t necessarily open a thread complaining about the consequences of my restrictions as a potentially lost soul.

Wait, did you flag my previous comment or something? It’s greyed out. Wow. Just wow…

“But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”

1 Peter 3:15

I did grow up in the church and am Christian. And I am not opposed to anyone believing what they want to believe. But I believe that blindly following a commandment without any reason or rationale behind it is one of the most dangerous things a human can do. You are giving up the most basic functions that God gave you: moral agency and independent thought. Without some kind of foundation for the rule/commandment, how do you know that some human didn’t just make it up to serve their own purpose? I often questioned stuff that my Sunday School teachers said, whether outloud or in my own head. It’s healthy. I figure if what I am being told has substance, it should not be afraid to be questioned or provide some kind of reason.

Let me screen capture this before it gets deleted.

As far as using food in an unhealthy way, I used to abuse sugar and was fat and diabetic. So I understand the reason why some foods should not be consumed or consumed in excess due to the health consequences. I think MJN is just trying to get a reason at to why tea and coffee are harmful, at least in normal amounts. There is so much objective data showing that these are either neutral or beneficial to human health if drank in small or moderate amounts.

6 Likes

If I say that Soylent adds 9 grams of sugar per bottle, no one bats an eye because it’s all part of the plan.

7 Likes

Its the researching about part I was asking for.

I googled LDS+tea to find Covenants&Doctrines; read it first hand. I saw specific indications against hot drinks, specific indications against tobacco, and specific indications about who gets what grains and whether animals can be used for food (and when/how)

I know it’s pushing the limits of this forum to discuss the religious restriction on an ingredient, but as far as taboo subjects Huel forum regularly has topics about flatulence and bathroom experience. So I consider the main rule is to be respectful and mature about any topic. (Though i learned excessive silliness does get flagged)

The reason I keep asking about it is because if “tea” isn’t a hot beverage component of huel, and it’s the leaf of some plant ‘feeds’ the kombucha bacteria similarly to corn feeding a pig or grass feeding a cow, the “hot beverage” rule is very far from what this ingredient is in Huel. If the interpretation of scripture has scholars suggesting “tea and coffee” are out … as beverage choices … then is kombucha powder caught in a labelling/classification problem? I’m asking because if an LDS authority were to assure you that there is a distinction between uses, you wouldn’t have to say “Goodbye Huel”

4 Likes

Versions and flavours are different. Different versions have different ingredients and possible different supply chains whereas flavours the version is the same but the end process where flavours are added is the variation.

Completely agree and this is a great point. Please everyone keep this in mind when discussing.

Huel RTD is available without kombucha.

3 Likes

@Hueler - I don’t want to get into a discussion about religion as I was raised Catholic and now simply believe in what I know as my God and thank him for my health and every day my feet hit the floor. I don’t practice Catholicism as there are many things I don’t agree with.

With that, I think many religions are up for interpretation and I don’t believe people should follow them blindly.

I don’t know anything about “Latter-day Saints” but I did read this:
D&C 89:10. Wholesome Herbs Are Ordained for the Use of Man.
The word herb refers to vegetables and plants that are nourishing and healthful for man. Doctrine and Covenants 89:5–9 contains warnings against things not good for man, while verses 10–17 list the things that should be used to maintain good health. These “God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man” (v. 10).

Doesn’t Green Tea come from a Plant? (Or the tea in Huel 3.0?)
Green tea is a type of tea that is made from Camellia sinensis leaves and buds that have not undergone the same withering and oxidation process used to make oolong teas and black teas.

Latter-day Saints talk about what is “nourishing and healthful for man.” So why can’t they drink tea?

Green tea is the healthiest beverage on the planet. It is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have powerful effects on the body. These include improved brain function, fat loss, a lower risk of cancer and many other impressive benefits. [http://bit.ly/2rzO3Jo]

In Huel 3.0 there will now be “Kombucha Tea Powder” - I don’t know what tea it is, but I’m sure it’s “nourishing and healthful for man.” And, we are not drinking it “Hot.”

If my Religion said simply, without all of the revisions 9 & 18 years later; (D&C 89:9) And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly. Well, I’m not drinking Huel “Hot” and it’s “nourishing and healthful for man” - I would be all over it!

I get it if you want to stick to your beliefs and it’s 100% of what you are drinking. What is the percentage of “Kombucha Tea Powder” in 1 serving of Huel Powder?

1 Like

The New Testament doesn’t prohibit any food. In fact, St. Peter’s vision from God in the Book of Acts rescinded the kosher dietary laws.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that and to see the official response from Huel below. I use the U/U Huel, and I have for the last 2 years or so. I LOVE it. Even though I use the unflavored, I certainly hope that the new U/U doesn’t have a different taste or texture.

FYI Huel. I think adding Kombucha is a great idea, I’ve doubled my order. You’re not going to please everyone so might as well make the best product you can. Keep improving and you will never go wrong.

1 Like

Firstly, I sympathize with you. I can imagine getting used to a food and then finding that I can no longer take it. But, consider the following wikipedia article. It seems literally everything is forbidden by one religion or the other, all animals/vegetables/dairy.

1 Like

@Desert_Way @Solidarity just wanted to let you guys know that we have confirmed the Huel v3.0 Powders, except chocolate, contain no caffeine.

4 Likes

That’s good news. Thanks for reporting back :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is good news. My other issue is corn, and you had said it contains a “small” amount of corn. Would you be willing to share what the amount is so that I can determine if the amount is small enough for me to feel okay with it? Thanks!

Unfortunately I can’t sorry. There is no more corn than in v1.1 so it’s less than 1%.

This has been a fascinating thread, and I would like to thank all of the Huelers who have shared here. I completely understand giving up Huel if it were to contain something that I felt I could not have because of my beliefs. In fact, I really admire those who have such strong convictions that they are willing to give up something that they truly enjoy (like Huel) because of their beliefs.

I know that the comments have been all over the place, and I’ve enjoyed reading the lively debate. I’m also so impressed with the readers who aren’t familiar with the Mormon faith and yet took the time to research the “tea” restriction so that they could better communicate and understand the perspective of others.

This is just another reason that I really love you guys in the Huel community. You are smart, compassionate, and you don’t mind questioning things (respectfully) so that you can form a more complete understanding. I feel really good to be a part of it!

7 Likes

This made me crack up.

That is all.

3 Likes

The Huel forums never cease to amaze me… Biblical scriptures and religion? Really?

1 Like

It’s the US forum, what do you expect :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Why is it our place to tell them how to make their product.

I agree with your sentiment that it seems odd to knowingly alienate users, but did they KNOWINGLY do it?

Think about all the Muslims that can use the product because there is no gelatin in it.

It seems sort of arbitrary what we are bothered by. Im sorry the OP can no longer use a product they like. I am sad when I cant eat shrimp at restaurants when theyre included in tasting menus or whatever (allergy) but that’s my problem…

2 Likes