Feeling Sick (Flu like)

Hello! I recently heard about Huel and wanted to give it a try. I’ve been taking 1 shake a day using 2 scoops of powder and filling the provided shaker to the brim with water. At the end of day 1 I started to feel funny and my stool was getting loose. Fast forward 3 days and I have explosive diarrhea and it feels like someone is wire brushing my intestines from the inside. This is not fun. On top of that I feel lethargic and just generally out of energy.

I want this product to work for me. I really do. I’ve read several other posts here and there seems to be mixed results on similar symptoms going away. Is this product just not for some people? Should I keep trying and waiting or are these a sign of something being wrong?

Edit: I’m using the Vanilla Huel Black Edition

Wow! I’m on day 3 - 4 myself and while I have noticed a softer stool, I have none of the other issues you are experiencing. I do hear a lot of something going on inside my gut after drinking my Huel. Yes, I said hear. When it’s quiet here, which is most of the time, my gut is churning away at something and you can definitely hear it. I expect it’s the probiotics doin their thing. But no diarrhea, no lethargy. In fact I seem to have a more “balanced” feeling overall with regards to energy.

What other foods are you eating? Are you keeping hydrated? Diarrhea will dehydrate u quickly if you allow it to. Be mindful of that. Do u have a fever? Any other flu symptoms? What water are you using to make your vanilla shakes? These are all possible factors but it may also just be an unfortunate coincidence and you have a flu bug or something. The wire brush thing? Umm not at all.

btw, I have not tried the vanilla black yet but was thinking I might try it on my next order. Maybe not.

Thanks for the response. I’m glad you’re not experiencing the same.

I also hear my gut doing things and have been very gassy. I’m using store bought purified water to make the shake and am staying very hydrated throughout the day. I eat pretty healthy. Vegetables, meats, starches etc. I do intermittent fasting (16:8) and have two main meals a day with snacks in between. The idea was to have huel in between my main meals. I’ve been doing IF for a year now so it shouldn’t be related to that.

I don’t have a fever but am monitoring that in case I do have a bug. It would be nice for it to be that and not huel, ha.

I would be okay with this being some sort of “detox” phase but I haven’t seen anything about that.

Well let’s hope it’s nothing serious and it goes away quickly, AND is not the Huel! Please keep us posted on your progress.

1 Like

This doesn’t sound right at all and I’m sorry you’re feeling like this.

I would try 1 scoop a day for a week and drink slightly less water when your symptoms reside.

This isn’t a detox phase or anything like that, in fact they don’t exist so be super careful of any products that market detox symptoms.

1 Like

Good to know. I didn’t take any Huel yesterday and the symptoms have completely subsided. I was able to eat solids without having to run to the bathroom and the GI discomfort/pain is gone.

I’m going to give it another day and then try 1 scoop without as much water like you suggested. I was also thinking about blending it this time instead of just shaking it in the bottle. I’ll report back then.

When i first staryed, with Huel, as my body adjusted to the new intake, i had gas and loose stools for about 4 days. Staying hydrated is good. Also, as you start consuming Huel regularly you also need to account for the calories/carbs and other nutrients found in Huel with everything else that you are eating. First thing that you might want to change is dropping the snacks. Then look into eating smaller portions of your meals.
Try starting out with a 2-scoop shake for breakfast. Have a light lunch. When you find yourself getting hungry again between meals compensate by adding a second, one-scoop shake. Have a balanced dinner. See what your body has to say about that.
There is a small window of time that your gut will adjust to the new intake.
Hope that helps.

I have been trying to commit to having 4-5 shakes a day and maybe 1 meal. I am only on day 4, but found that if I don’t have my shake before working out or before my stomach needs it then I get extremely tired as well. I am thinking that our body breaks down the huel faster than food and once it is broken down you’re just out of energy lol. I find it to be around 2 to 2.5 hours before I should take a second shake or eat. Drinking water gives me more time before having to get another shake as well, just keep the stomach full with water and see if you feel better! I was thinking about having avocado and toast for breakfast to give me more fiber and fat. Fat may help with getting light headed, just thinking out loud at this point. Let me know if you try anything mentioned!