Feedback on stevia use

I’m about to purchase my first order of Huel (yay!), and I’m really interested in the flavors, especially the new flavor additions, but I have a strong dislike for stevia. I don’t see it listed in the Berry flavor, but it is in every other flavor. Is that accurate? Also, do you think there’s a possibility that you’ll release flavors in the future with no stevia, that we can sweeten ourselves if we’d like? I don’t use sweetener often, but when I do I’m a fan of erythritol. I’d love to try the mocha or chocolate mint minus the stevia :slight_smile:

1 Like

Huel has a unflavored/unsweetened version that will give you room to get creative with sweeteners and flavors

3 Likes

Actually, the feedback from most users on the forums is that we prefer Stevia over other artificial sweeteners. In response to this, the Huel flavor additives were all reconfigured to use Stevia.

Erythritol is a sugar alcohol. Sugar alcohols are slightly less sweet than sugar (0.8 times as sweet), and so a larger amount is needed to sweeten. These do not absorb and can act as an osmotic laxative. My personal opinion is that I avoid sugar alcohols like the plague.

Stevia and sucralose are more sweet than sugar, and so only very small amounts are needed. Hence, they have much lower incidence of GI side effects that sugar alcohols.

Everyone prefers different sweeteners, which is perfectly fine, and why I mentioned that it would be amazing to have unsweetened flavors as well as sweetened ones. As I stated above, I typically don’t use sweetener at all, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. I’m aware of what erithritol is, and it’s effects on the body, as well as the fact that plenty of people enjoy stevia (and plenty don’t). It was just a suggestion to the company, in case there are others like myself that would love to try their different flavors, but would prefer them unsweetened.

2 Likes

Hi Tracy! Thanks for your note :grin: We do currently offer an unflavored & unsweetened version of Huel! The beauty of this version is it’s versatility. You can truly use whatever you please to add a little extra flavor and sweetness to your daily Huel. If you ever need any tips & tricks while using the unsweetened Huel just let us know! If you need anything else, don’t hesitate to reach back out.

It looks like everybody here is missing the OP’s point. She knows about U/U.

This is a great point about the use of sweetener in flavor boosts, which seems totally unnecessary to me. If you want stevia, you’re probably already using sweetened Huel, which makes the stevia in the flavor boost redundant. If you want it unsweetened, or want to use an alternative sweetener, you should still be able to use a stevia-free flavor boost with unsweetened Huel.

With U/U, sweetener is easy to add yourself, but flavors like chocolate/berry/banana/chai take a bit more effort. I think this is great feedback.

3 Likes

That’s EXACTLY what I was trying to say! Thank you for saying it more eloquently than I did :wink:

3 Likes

I’m sure that food scientists have worked on these flavors. The sweetener is needed to carry the flavor across. For example, if you have a fruit flavor, and you take all of the sweetness out, it will not be the same flavor anymore. You might think that it will be the same flavor, except just less sweet, but that is not the case. Just like how if you have dry wine. It doesn’t taste like grapes at all. I personally don’t like Stevia either, but the way they have done it with this doesn’t cause that disgusting aftertaste. Yes, there is a bit of an aftertaste, but that is present with the unflavored one as well so the Stevia doesn’t cause it.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion! This is phenomenal feedback. We appreciate it guys!:+1: