Continued diarrhea, after two months

Did you try the U/U yet?

I’m starting it today. I’ll post the results. :smile:

1 Like

Today is my second day on U/U and the diarrhea continues. I used honey in my shakes yesterday, so I made them plain today, to make sure it wasn’t the honey.

I’ll use to the rest of my U/U though, and see if anything changes.

I’ll probably try enzymes next.

Any other suggestions @Dan_Huel? You mentioned starting over with introducing Huel to my diet. Is that something I should try?

I’m sorry I’m running out of suggestions.

It is likely the high fibre content. Switching from a typical diet low in fibre to Huel can cause some issues and it varies from person-to-person.

The only suggestion you’ve made is cutting back on water, which I’ve done.

You did mention re-introducing Huel to my diet. Is that something you would suggest I try? (Starting with one shake per day, waiting a week, then two shakes, etc.)

It wasn’t clear whether that was a suggestion you made from misreading my post. When I started Huel, I went through that process. Would there be any benefit to doing it again?

I’ve also suggested enzymes.

I did misread your post when I suggested gradually introducing Huel into your diet as you mentioned you did that. Usually the gradual introduction is the key as it allows the body to adjust to the higher (but beneficial fibre content). This should only take 1-2 weeks, as you’re on week 8 it’s an odd one.

Yes. I am going to try the enzymes. Hopefully, they do the trick.

I’ll let you know.

Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

My bowel movements seem to have improved after nearly a week on U/U.

I’ll spare you the details, but I’m no longer having “explosive” diarrhea several times per day.

So, it seems as though the sucralose may have played some role in the situation.

I’m still going to try enzymes, and possibly a different probiotic, to see if things improve further.

Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Sorry again for the trouble you’ve gone through. Glad you’re found a solution!

Sorry, I’m new to all of this; What is UU?

Unflavored/Unsweetened

2 Likes

I think it has too much fiber for you maybe were the fiber ratio is wrong for you. You could try adding pumpkin to it. Just have one or two spoons of pumpkin.

I switched to U/U, and started taking digestive enzymes. Everything is good now.

I may try the flavors again, because I think it’s the digestive enzymes that did the trick.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience Paxton.

I’ve been having 2 huels a day (morning, noon) for 4 months now and also have daily explosive diarrhea, usually 2-3 times a day. I’ve also tried a bag of UU but it didn’t change anything.

After stopping with Huel for a few days the problems went away.

Eating Huel again instantly starts the diarrhea again at the end of the day.

Not sure if I should continue and how to solve it.

I started these digestive enzymes, after seeing them mentioned by @Deron.

The Huel no longer causes diarrhea, as long as I remember to take one before each shake.

It’s worth a try, if you want to stick with Huel.

2 Likes

Can anybody actually digest this thing?

I consumed 2 bags of huel black edition chocolate and vanilla with probiotics, had diarrhea a few times, hoping everything will be fine eventually, I ordered 4 more bags.
Now that I ran out of probiotics this thing just goes thru my body…
Sorry for the angry reply, but what the hell is going on?
Should you even drink this stuff if it gives you explosive diarrhea without probiotics?
I can’t imagine this is good for you…

I take the enzymes shown in this post and it solved the problem for me. They’re relatively inexpensive…

You’re the only other person I’ve ran into with the same problem. Glad I’m not the only one!

Huel is high in fiber and if you’re used to a more typical low fiber diet it can take a little bit of time to adjust.

We recommend you have one Huel meal a day for a week and build up your Huel intake if that’s what you want to do. Increasing your water intake can also help.

If you are still having issues I would recommend Huel v3.0 because of the lower protein content.

Something I’ve not seen mentioned in the boiler statements about transitioning to high fiber diets is the potential role of medications in digestive upset. A great many pharmaceuticals list changes in bowel movement as a side effect that we may never experience until we start consuming liquid foods. No amount of probiotics or enzymes is going to assuage that.

It’s a great point Danny but without knowing someone’s full medical history and working with them on a professional 1:1 basis it’s not something I can offer as advice, which is why we offer the more general advice you mentioned.