Chocolate only gas?

Does anyone else have experience of gas from using the chocolate huel.
I dont seem to get it with the vanilla flavour. What could be causing this?

Same. I noticed it the other night. Lol

It happens with the coffee caramel (black) as well. And if you don’t already know, which u should, the gas is very, well…potent, to put it delicately. I literally have to leave the room for a minute or two. Has anyone discovered why this is apparently so prevalent?

Addendum: Both savory meals invite the same barking spiders about 20-30 mins. after eating them.

Hi there @Joel_Huel! Huel is high in fiber and many need time to adjust to this! With regard to specific flavors and an increase in gas, I cannot say for certain why that may be occurring for you. One thing to try would be to try doing one scoop chocolate and one scoop vanilla and see if you still experience the same thing - as long as you do not mind a more subtle chocolate flavor. It could be the flavor for you, or another thing to consider could be how quickly you are consuming Huel, as it is nutritionally complete. I like to think of it as if you were to consume any other meal very quickly and what would happen in those scenarios if consumed too fast - some gastrointestinal discomfort may arise. I hope this helps!

@Wilma with regard to gas in general, it may be related to the fiber content of Huel products (including Huel Hot and Savory). Huel is high in fiber (both soluble and insoluble) - I linked a page here which discusses nutritional needs, including fiber! 1 or 2 Huel per day may work better at least to start and see if that decreases what you reported with gas. Furthermore, if you are consuming more than 1 or 2 Huel per day, you may want to decrease the amount you consume for a few days and then proceed from there (either to increase or decrease the amount) to see if this helps with the gas - and also make sure you are consuming adequate amounts of fluid daily!

Thanks Charlotte, for all the suggestions. I doubt they will make much difference though in that I may have found the suspect. lol It may be the Xanthan gum used in the powders, but I can’t be certain. I was planning on creating a new topic and sourcing what I found on it, instead of posting it here. Stay tuned…

It could be the Xanthan gum. Here’s some of what I found on it.

Common potential xanthan gum side effects include bloating and intestinal gas. Exposure to xanthan gum powder also may cause flu-like symptoms, nose and throat irritation, and lung problems.

To produce xanthan gum, manufacturers sometimes usecommon food allergens, including corn, soy, wheat and dairy products. So if you have an allergy to one or more of these, then you may need to avoid xanthan gum and products that contain it unless you can figure out how the gum was made.

Don’t be afraid to ask a manufacturer, “What is xanthan gum made of in your product?”

Xanthan gum is a bulk-forming laxative that can be harmful if you experience any of the following: nausea, vomiting, appendicitis, hard stools that are difficult to expel (fecal impaction), narrowing or blockage of the intestine, or undiagnosed stomach pain. Avoid use of xanthan gum if you have any of these symptoms/conditions.

For women who are pregnant or nursing, amounts of xanthan gum larger than those normally found in food are not recommended.

Since xanthan gum can decrease blood sugar, when it’s combined with antidiabetes drugs, it may cause blood sugar to go too low. Check with your health care provider before taking diabetes medication and xanthan together.

It may be the Xanthan gum used in the powders, but I can’t be certain.

Hi @Wilma! I hope to provide a bit of insight into ingredients in Huel as well as xanthan gum specifically. The ingredients on nutrition facts labels show the amount of each ingredient listed in order of how much is in the product. You will see that on the ingredient list for Huel powder, xanthan gum is further down the list and it is mainly used to help with thickening and combining in Huel. You can see more about this on this page from our website under the heading “Thickeners and Food Stabilizers.”

Xanthan gum is a soluble fiber, which slows things down in the digestive tract and bulks things up, as well. This is why some individuals may experience gastrointestinal distress if consuming high amounts of soluble fiber (and fiber in general). Ultimately, this goes back to the need to ensure you are consuming adequate amounts of fluid throughout the day, especially as you increase your fiber intake to ensure bowel regularity. It also furthers why you should gradually increase the amount of fiber you consume and not do it all at once!

Xanthan gum in Huel is used as a thickening agent and to aid in preventing separation - it is not a main source of fiber in Huel. Furthermore, Huel v3.0 powder contains both soluble and insoluble fibers, which come mainly from the oats and flaxseed and I linked that here. You will see more on this under the heading “Huel Powder is High in Fiber: Oats and Flaxseed." For Huel Black Edition, it does not contain oats so a majority of fiber comes from flaxseed and I linked the page on our website here. You will find more information under the heading “Huel Black Edition is High Fiber.” As opposed to soluble fibers, insoluble fibers are the ones that speed things up in the digestive tract and the balance of both can aid in gut health (with adequate fluid intake). I hope this helps!

@Charlotte_Huel,! Why are you singling me out? I almost feel like you’re scolding me or something. All I was doing was offering someone a possible reason for their gas. I’m not trying to bash the company or anything if that what the consensus is assuming.

I like solving “puzzles” and the challenge of trying to figure out what’s causing or creating a problem is something I enjoy doing). If it’s creating concern amongst the staff, let me know. Or better yet, have whoever is micro-moderating me get with me.

Hi @Wilma I am so sorry. I did not mean for that. I just wanted to provide some additional insight regarding the topic being discussed. I very much enjoy having discussion regarding all things nutrition and I do appreciate your posts. I sincerely apologize that it came across as anything other than that.

@Charlotte_huel,
This is typical but unintentional, so please, no apologies necessary. I’ll try and explain in a PM.