A Case for Two Huels: Why v3.0 Should Be an Option, Not the Default

Agree with you here aim. I rather enjoyed the flavor and texture of the 1.1 chocolate. It was just chocolatey enough to be flavorful and still even had some of the other more natural elements of the mix like the oats. It was easy to drink. It’s like the new version is an attempt to mask all flavors but chocolate, and I can only describe it as nauseatingly chocolatey, in that it is just so incredibly rich, it feels like you have to stomach it down to enjoy it.
The texture I don’t mind so much, but the overall “mouthfeel” on top of the richness is just too heavy.

2 Likes

I also think with the smoother texture of v3, it inherently makes the whole drink less watery, and in itself more “dense.” 1.1 was fairly watery, but I think this feature made it more drinkable.

Thank you for your input everyone.

It’s one of the reasons why the forum is here and I will pass this onto the development team. We are always updating and improving our products and what you have all said will be taken into account.

2 Likes

I started Huel after 3.0 was already released and thoroughly enjoy the flavor of the vanilla and chocolate(I have an order of the other flavors on the way to try them) and I just use a blender for a minute and have absolutely no issues with clumping. I know it’s supposed to be shake and go, but until they do work on it and revise it again, maybe just take two minutes to blend it? Helped for me at least

1 Like

I simply couldn’t resist

8 Likes

Genius. Pure genius.

I tried my first v3.0 chocolate shake today and my initial impression was not good either. The only way I can describe the flavor sensation is “dusty” and “old,” as if I had dropped it onto an old carpet, scooped it back up, and mixed it back in. I don’t know why, but the only thing going through my mind was that there was something wrong with what I was drinking; like I had gotten a bad batch or something. The only positive I can see so far is that the texture is noticeably smoother. Before, it always felt a little gritty, but I just assumed that was a caveat of consuming a shake made with real food, like oats, and I had come to terms with that and had no problems. Now, I’m just not sure what to think. I hope I can adjust to it, and feel like I got my money’s worth, but part of me is just really disappointed.

2 Likes

I tried the new 3.0 chocolate mixture today and really don’t like it. There is a distinct element of banana flavor in there now and it overpowers everything else. Chocolate flavor is pretty much gone. As for texture, it’s different and a little harder to mix, but not that great a shift. I don’t understand why Huel has to keep messing with the flavor profile. Other companies with nutrition/performance-based products do this, too. It’s completely baffling. Products like Huel are already on a “learning curve” for taste, which means that it takes some getting used to. Then once the user has acclimated to it, they change it! SMH.

Finally tried the 3.1 bars, too. Still basically tasteless. But honestly, that’s ok in comparison to the flavor shift in the powder.

1 Like

I tried vanilla 3.0 for the first time today after using 1.1 for a year. While 1.1 definitely varied in taste batch by batch, it was acceptable.
3.0 tastes like stale marshmallows. And it clumps no matter how much you mix it.

I was able to finish the whole drink, but it wasn’t pleasant. I can’t see myself ordering it again.

2 Likes

I don’t like kombucha for the alcohol content. So I wouldn’t buy anything with it personally. And yes, you’re right - I’m extremely sensitive to shellfish. I feel like I’m dying temporarily when I come into contact with it. So I wouldn’t buy it for that reason either.

Due to the way it’s processed into a powder there’s no alcohol don’t worry.

You can still buy v1.1 on our outlet store! Huel Outlet

1 Like

I don’t like kombucha for the possibility that it may be the culprit in my nausea and vomiting.

Whyyyy did you guys have to add a trendy ingredient? Kombucha is weird. It’s controversial. Just go back to synthetic B vitamins. Get that probiotic out of there, too. Probiotics aren’t beneficial except for in very specific instances. And I am a physician, so that’s my source.

2 Likes

Not to start an argument or be offensive- a title or profession does not remove the need of evidence.

Personally I have no issues with kombucha or probiotics, but I don’t have any articles or case studies to post for or against. My personal experience is pretty neutral with them, save for the fact that my stomach seems to have less overall issues when I consume probiotics or foods that contain them.

In the end, however, my personal experience should be taken with a grain of salt because I’ve provided no evidence one way or the other. :slight_smile:

It’s highly unlikely to cause issues. Kombucha is controversial because of the exaggerated claims surrounding it and because it’s often marketed as a supplement which has poor regulation. The kombucha in Huel falls under neither of those points.

Probiotics may be beneficial for gut health but I agree the evidence is only just emerging. It doesn’t mean that they don’t have a purpose or benefits though.

No, you are absolutely correct. I was just angry in that moment and I am cringing now that I even said that.

There are a lot of studies regarding probiotics and the risks/benefits, which I could have taken the time to cite, but did not. To be fair, I have not done proper research into kombucha, just the regular old Google queries.

1 Like

Well, I did some cursory search in my biomedical library resources through work and there are, in fact, no randomized controlled trials for kombucha specifically. Yes, I did see that many of the problems (some severe including lead poisoning) arise from homemade or otherwise poor practices in the manufacturing process. Still, I believe my overall point is still relevant in that it has been shown to be neither beneficial nor detrimental.

Yes, agreed on some potential benefits. You may already know the following, but just in case you don’t-- studies base the success of probiotic colonization on fecal sample analysis for the given organism. A positive/successful result of colonization is if the stool showed presence of the probiotic organism. However, there is evidence that the organism is simply in the stool but not actually colonizing. Does this help some people regardless? Maybe. Who knows. It certainly helps in specific medical instances. But does it also cause distress in others? Yeah, probably. It does for me. Further, genetics being my specialty, everyone has different flora. In the manufacturing of probiotics, companies just tend to culture the species that are easy to grow, not ones that are native in, well, anyone.

In any case, thanks for your reply. I am just upset that something that has really helped me maintained my weight and health (that isn’t “formula”-- yuck) during my time of swallowing difficulties is no longer going to be sustainable. I did indeed order many bags of v1.1 to tide me over while I figure out what to do next.

1 Like

No, I think you’re right there. Off the top of my head I can think of one decent trial but can’t remember if it was an RCT. In any case kombucha is not there for extra benefits it’s just there to provide some b vitamins. Like you said, we could use the synthetic versions like we do with other nutrients but the names can be a bit off putting to some people, no matter how much information we have on our site/

Yeap I agree with this too. We had this exact discussion when deciding on whether to include probiotics or not during the development stages.

I totally get where you are coming from and we are listening.

2 Likes

That may be legally or technically true, but kombucha tends to have trace amounts (even if a label doesn’t have to put it under 0.5%), and I’m sensitive to even that little bit.

Very cool! Didn’t know the 1.1’s around.

1 Like

@Gerrly I don’t feel that synthetic b vitamins are good for health anymore, per reading that cyanocobalamin turns into cyanide in the body and doesn’t absorb well to begin with (I didn’t read up on this, but I feel that could impact kidneys). So natural sources like methylcobalamin would be better.