V1.1 to 2.0 to 3.0. From good to bad to worse

So I haven’t tried the 3.0 yet but I use am immersion blender when making my huel shakes and I also refrigerate over night so it’s ready to grab and go the next day. It’s always smooth and delicious. I do add a banana as well though. I am about to buy the new version and will let you know how it goes.

In an effort to be less whiny and more constructive:

Opened a new bag of 3.0 This time Vanilla instead of chocolate. There are still clumping issues, but not nearly as bad as the two bags of chocolate 3.0. Is it chunky? Yes. Is it as chunky, no?

The consistency is thinner and less rich than the chocolate 3.0 was, and certainly much less desireable than Vanilla 3.0.

The flavor still has the same weird aftertaste as chocolate, but less jarring. Especially since the bag before this was vanilla 1.1, I was expecting the aftertaste to be more noticeable.

It’s at work. I’ll get the batch # when I get back to work as I forgot to post this there. I’ll post batch numbers from now on.

Based on the inconsistency of both rich/smoothness and chunky consistency my first guess is whatever thickening agent you’re using might not be mixed right. It reminds me of the first time I tried to make a cream sauce and just added flour to hot milk without making a roux first.

My next bag at home is gonna be yet another chocolate 3.0. I’ll let you know when I open it, probably in a couple days.

The stamp on the bag says:

1L: 95873
E: 11/2020
191202 16:18:31

First two mixes were as I mentioned, slightly chunky and very thin.

Today, using the same exact amount of water and measurement of Huel, it’s thick, extremely chunky, and very very offputting. It’s a completely different consistency to what I had yesterday, despite coming from the same bag, measured with the same scoops, with water filled to the same line in my mixing bottle. Maybe the mix just isn’t homogeneous?

For instance, if the mix is settling out in transit we could have issues at home that you don’t see in the R&D lab. Maybe pull something that’s been bouncing around in a truck or plane for a few days?

1 Like

I do think that Huel settling in the bag, whether in transit or sitting in pantry, could be a part of the problem for some. One thing I do every morning (and always have, even with version 1.0) when making my shakes is tilt the bag side to side a few times to loosen (guess that’s the best term here?) things up a bit. Maybe try that before scooping and see if it helps. This could also help with more consistent scoops to even out thin/thick consistencies.

Interesting thought. I wonder if using a small strainer / sifter would help with clumping.

Ahh. I haven’t thought of this. Good suggestion.

I don’t think so. No matter how finely you sift flour, if you add a bunch of water without emulsifying it with oil first you’ll get clumps. That’s what I’m getting here.

I’ll try shaking the bags around to see if an attempt to evenly distribute components that may have settled helps.

That’s how much I know about baking :slight_smile:

Update: thoroughly shook the bag, upside down as well as right side up, before mixing this morning. Clumps still present, but not quite as bad. Still a really weird taste, even worse than the 3.0 chocolate (for me, at least). We’ll see if lunch goes similarly. I’ll shake it up again.

I’ll be switching to a new bag at home soon. Going from v1.1 to another bag of chocolate 3.0 (still have a couple of those to go through as I had a backlog built up after a relatively low-intensity December/January after my last ironman in November).

I have a new bag of just plain oat powder coming in the mail. We’ll see how a 50/50 mix with that goes.

@Dan_Huel I forgot to mention: all of these have been the gluten-free version of 3.0. Not sure if it makes much of a difference.

Opened a bag of chocolate 3.0 at home yesterday. Did a little testing last night and today:

Just Chocolate 3.0: same as the other 3.0. Chunky and consistent with an offputting flavor.

50g of chocolate 3.0 w/ 50g of another powder mix (Oat powder/beet root powder I use as a recovery from hard rides) and it is perfectly smooth and consistent. I won’t comment on the flavor because 25% beet root will overpower pretty much anything.

Of the two 100% huel mixes the first was straight after opening the bag and the second was after shaking it around/upending the bag a few times to kind of mix it up a bit. Didn’t change the consistency.

Markings on this bag: 1L: 95885 E: 12/2020 191203 13:53:05

This is now the 5th bag of 3.0 I’ve opened (One berry, one vanilla, third chocolate). All have the same issues. I’m passing this along to you to hopefully help your R&D team somehow. I just double-checked to make sure my subscription is still for the 1.1, which it is. I’ll be keeping with it as long as that’s available.

1 Like

I will say that the v3.0 vanilla that I just tried for the first time does take a little more effort to completely mix by hand.

Big deal. Powdered bodybuilding supplements and clumping go hand in hand. There are plenty of mixing solutions out there. Don’t compromise the integrity of the ingredients for some minor issue like that.

I will also say that it was delicious! Especially for a hand shaken powdered suppliment using only water. Waaaaay better than v1.1 vanilla. Nice job!

One possible solution on sale now at Amazon.
41XIHsnKTQL.AC_SY400

3 Likes

Have you used that one? I saw it was on sale this morning and thought about it… I’ll just keep it old school and use the Blender Bottle. ShakeSphere isn’t so bad either, from what I’ve heard.

No, I haven’t used one because I blender my shakes. But I would be willing to wager 30 bucks on something like that if I needed it. Gotta be better than the craptastic plastic el cheapo freebie Huel shaker.

Thanks for your feedback, it’s really helpful.

It shouldn’t. Yes the oats are sourced differently and the powder processed in a different factory but that’s it.

Posted elsewhere but thought i’d follow up my previous comments here as well.

I found success for my personal clumping issue. I forgot to add the ice when mixing this morning. Minimal if any clumps in 3.0 (and yes, i’ve complained in the past about the clumping.) I think the issue may be that the ice floating on top of the water prevents the powder from falling down, wetting the huel in globs. Shaking minimally breaks these up.

Having forgotten the ice, i only had 16.9 oz water (Standard bottled water volume), my metal wire shaker ball and the screen. I noticed two things on the first sip. 1. less if any clumps 2. wasn’t as cold. I then realized my error added ice after the fact and shook again and no issues.

If this is the small change i have to make for a smoother 3.0 i’m ok with it.

3 Likes

I Googled “Why doesn’t new version of Huel mix?” and found this page, so it must be a thing. The convenience of Huel is gone now. I’ve relied on it for years but now have to look for something else as I’m not going to carry around a NutriBullet just to get a decent consistency.

Add mixing wire ball, add water, add powder, add strainer. Shake like it stole your identity, add ice enjoy!

1 Like

Hi Tony! Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about this. I would love to learn a bit more about how you make your Huel to see if I can provide any additional suggestions.

Some of the suggestions above are very helpful, including that if you add ice to your Huel, be sure to add it after you mix your Huel powder with your fluid of choice (like water or plant-based milk). I too find that if I add ice when I first mix in the Huel Shaker, it does not mix as well. Another thing that may help is to only add half of the fluid at first with the powder, shake, and then add the rest of the fluid, and see if that helps!

Let me know!

I agree. I use a blender bottle shaker and it works perfectly.