Unsweetened recipes?

I’ve decided to give up all sweetners, natural or artificial for a bit. I tried adding just Stevia to unsweetened Huel, but I had some digestive issues even with that. When I cut out the Stevia, I had no more issues. So I’m going to try no sweetners at all for a bit. Anyone know any other things to add, that are zero or low calorie? I tried cinnamon which was pretty good. Looking for other ideas like that. Thanks!

1 Like

Apple pie spice - it’s a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc. and tastes like it sounds.

Extracts - lemon is surprisingly good with Huel, root beer is very chemical so I don’t use it, vanilla is too subtle for me as a flavor but does make a smoother mouth feel i guess. I don’t like almond, but that might be a good add with coconut if you were after an almond joy flavor.

My wife heard about the benefit of ginger, so I make hers with 200mL of coffee and half a teaspoon of ginger and cinnamon. (It’s ok, not my preference)

That’s all that comes to mind at the moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! Going to try that first one now! Thanks.

Hi @Forgotmymeds, I use unsweetened 100% cocoa powder in mine most days. Very little additional calories as well. Typically just add 2 teaspoons which is about 7 calories. Also add a bit of cinnamon sometimes.

1 Like

Nice. I’ll try that too.

I add maca & bananas every so often just to have a different flavor .it taste pretty darn good.

1 Like

Unsweetened applesauce + natural peanut butter + cinnamon +or- Huel cocoa powder, blended = my go-to when I use the U/U Huel product. These are the ones where no sugar is added. Only the small amount of sugar that naturally occurs in each. (Cocoa powder by itself doesn’t have sugar.) I choose applesauce since it lasts longer and is easier than chopping whole apples.

Apples have glycemic index around 35 - 40, and natural peanut butter is like 15 - 20 range. They also have a decent amount of natural fiber. (Huel is GI 28, so these are comparable.) 1 or 2 tablespoons of applesauce will have only a small calorie increase with a small amount of the natural sugar found in apples. Peanut butter will have less sugar but a good amount of fat and therefore calories since fat is twice as much calories per gram as carbs. But I would advise not to focus too much on calories. I’d advise focusing more on gylcemic index and keeping insulin low.

I’ve used these additives in my Huel for several months. They haven’t hindered my 45 lb weight loss since last year. And I eat a fair amount of peanut butter.

1 Like

Thanks for all the recipes so far! I’ve tried some of them and plan on trying them all. I also tried Allspice + ginger. That was also a pretty good combo too.

2 Likes