The biggest and best Huel launch ever... Huel Hot & Savory

From September 15 you can add one H&S bag to your usual Huel order :slight_smile:

I just got mine today! I tried the tomato first and my mess doesnt quite look as good as the photo below😅 I boiled water first and added it to to the cupe, then waited 5 minutes. The green stuff is a little tough and I still get crunchy bits. Next time I will try microwaving together to see if that softens stuff more. Or is that the intended consistency/texture? I guess I should make sure I have the right mixture of powder and solids, too when I scoop.

1 Like

So, I’m super confused / curious:

Is this product a powder [like, say, instant mashed potatoes, that you’ve added fresh ingredients to for the photos, or is it more like a soup mix almost, that is re-hydrated when adding boiling water?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hot & Savoury is a whole grain based meal. E.g. it’s made with freeze dried rice, quinoa, sweetcorn, bell pepper, spring onions, lentils, plus added herbs and spices, plus pea protein powder, see the full ingredients below.

Dried Grains (29%) (Brown Rice, Quinoa), Pea Protein, Flaxseed, Coconut Milk Powder, Dried Vegetables (6%) (Sweetcorn, Bell Pepper, Spring Onion), Lentils, Thai Green Style Flavouring (5%), (Natural Flavourings, Salt, Coriander, Chilli, Cumin, Ginger, Black Pepper, Citric Acid, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil), Rice Flour, Rice Starch, Corn Starch, Medium-Chain Triglycerides Powder (from Coconut), *Micronutrient Blend, Spinach Powder, Coconut Sugar, Sunflower Oil Powder.

As it comes in the pouch

Once re-hydrated

1 Like

It’s so good!! Tried both flavors and really impressed. Yeah, I can definitely eat the stuff on the regular. I do leave it in the pot quite a bit longer than the recommended 5 minutes, but that’s me. I like more of a stew-like consistency. Yum yum yum.

1 Like

I’d be curious to get @Deron take on this. Haven’t heard from him in a while.

So 210 ml of water works great for the tomato, but 210 and thai curry turns out like a soup. Thai is spicy! Love them both though, will have them pretty regularly for my dinner - I have Huel Black for lunch.

2 Likes

There is still a three bag minimum when I try to add the H&S to my subscription order. Is that changing to a one bag minimum later today? Or am I doing something wrong?

You can add a single bag to your next order yes! You should find it on the account area Home Page huel.com/account by just scrolling down a bit (see screenshot).

This allows you to try 1x bag of each flavour before adding Hot & Savoury to your subscription. You might be looking in “Add products to order” in your upcoming deliveries, and yes there is still the minimum 3 bags there to allow you add larger amounts and benefit from the subscription and bulk discount.

Any questions just fire them back and I’ll help out!

Awesome! I never scrolled down that far. Thanks.

2 Likes

This is a great thing! In my pre COVID life I was a touring actor, moving from city to city each week (hopefully my industry will come back soon). I like that Huel is a portable, simple, healthy solution to whatever food court the bus stops at. But, as other have mentioned, sometimes I wonder what to do for other meals. I’m a Huel black user and actually add a little MCT oil, cream and/or olive oil to make huel a satisfying KETO option. It would be awesome have a low carb savory option. I recognize the process is long and involved, so just hoping to put it on your radar. This is a wonderful product!

OMG. This stuff is so delicious it’s insane.

My one “issue” with huel was that i could never go 100% because after a breakfast and lunch huel I would kind of be hueled out for the day.

But the curry is exactly like a meal from the local thai restaurant if not BETTER.

Thank you so much for creating this product it will make an all huel lifestyle even easier and more delicious.

And it shipped quickly!

Nicole

3 Likes

Big fan of the new Hot & Savory. I’m noticing that - at least with the Tomato offering - the sauce is a little heavy in proportion compared to the grain. Polite feedback to play with the ratios a little bit. That being said, I’m keeping two bags on subscription for workday meals.

1 Like

Hi Greg! So great to hear that you are a fan of Huel Hot and Savory… I am too! :slight_smile:

That is definitely good to know regarding the Tomato and Herb flavor and thank you for the feedback! We value and appreciate all feedback so that we can continue to improve Huel products and flavors. Something that may help to make sure that the ingredients are a bit more proportional and evenly distributed is to shake the bag up a bit before taking out the two scoops of Hot and Savory. Let me know if this helps at all (and if you have tried it before too)!

You got my powder! :wink:

I actually noticed the opposite, my tomato bag had far more grains than powder. Seems my curry bag is like your tomato. I posted elsewhere about this, but there is a distinct difference between my curry bag and tomato bag that goes beyond mixing. I’m not sure if that is why I have been preferring the curry. I am wondering if the materials are premixed prior to filling the bags or if the bags are filled with some separated ingredients.

Ordered a bag of Thai curry to try with my latest order.

For those without official scoops, a scoop is more or less 1/3 cup in American measurements. (I measured out 1/3 of a cup to be more or less 47g.) I second the idea that 210ml is a bit too much water for the Thai curry.

Flavor is delicious. There were a few crunchy bits, I think it needs a second stirring half way through the 5 minute waiting period.

1 Like

You can always weigh it

1 Like

Same thing here, hard to get everything mixed in the bag and then to get a consistent flavor. I had a tomato lunch that was rough to get down due to the overwhelming seasoning.

I ended up using a strainer to separate the seasoning from the grain so I can control the seasoning more to my own taste. I’m only using hot and savory a few times a week so it’s working to just scoop what I need out of the jar.

It would be awesome if Huel would release an unflavored with savory flavor packs.

Our small tip is to add more or less water depending on how strong you want it to taste, however, savory flavor packs is a good idea and something to consider. Thanks! :grin:

Finally got around to ordering the Hot and Savory and tried it twice. I had the tomato one yesterday and today for dinner. Unfortunately this will be the last time I eat that particular flavor. It tastes pretty good. And the texture is fine. And I like the idea of a hot Huel option. And I can easily use this at work since we have specially designed 140 degree hot water on demand taps in every kitchen area, which work great with this product. Unfortunately, tomato and garlic can give me reflux. And there’s enough in this product to do just that. I got some serious bad heartburn from this particular flavor. And yes, I was talking my omeprazole and it still hit me hard. Nausea, chest discomfort. Onset was 20 minutes after finishing. Chewed an antacid which temporary relieved it. Anyway, I’ve had this before with food that had too much tomato sauce or paste.

So next I’ll try the curry flavor to see if I can handle that better. And I still have yet to try the Huel peanut butter powder that I ordered.

The good news is that I never get reflux from the Huel powder, RTD, or bars. I’m pretty sure it’s the specific seasoning ingredients in the tomato hot Huel that did it.

2 Likes