Tastes Like Expired Mylanta

I’m so - I guess annoyed is the right word. I mean, this stuff is $$$$ and I expect that if I dump that kind of cash into a meal-shake that I won’t have to doctor it to make it palatable. You know that weird smell when you walk into a thrift store? If that smell were made into a drink and mixed with Mylanta, it would be Huel.
Aren’t shakes supposed to be sweet? Ish? I appreciate no cane sugar, but if it’s going to be 400 calories and 17g of fat, I would expect a higher flavour standard. Definitely not Extract of Great-Grandpa Rufus’ Korean War Era Navy Dress Blues with a bouquet of Cobwebby Attic and a full-bodied finish of Pharmacist’s Special Anti-Bloat Pepsin.

1 Like

I think it tastes fine. I think quite a few people drink it without doctoring it–I do–but sometimes I’ll use it as part of a smoothie to add some variety. I think a lot of people accustomed to a western diet are used to high sugar, high fat, high salt in most of their foods, and this isn’t that. There are plenty of people who feel that Huel is TOO sweet, and the flavored versions need to be cut 50/50 with Unflavored/Unsweetened to make it more palatable. And then there are some folks who think it doesn’t have any flavor at all. shrug taste is subjective.

The whole reason I chose Huel was because the 400 calories go toward quality nutrition from good sources, and doesn’t blow half of them on making it taste like a dessert. If that’s what you’re looking for, there are plenty of products in that space to choose from.

6 Likes

I’m commenting, OP, because I find your description hilarious, and because I empathize a tiny bit.

I have been using UU Huel for over a year now, as I’m not a fan of the taste of most sugar substitutes. UU needs a fair amount of liquid in it NOT to taste of Cheerios – I mean cardboard or wet paper – to me, so my shakes tend to be on the thin side. You might try adding more water or maybe nut/oat milk to yours if you don’t mind a less viscous shake?

I gave up on trying to doctor it with peanut butter or frozen fruit or bananas a long time ago. Blending nearly a pound of frozen blueberries into a very tall 3-scoop shake still wasn’t enough to register perceptible blueberry flavor. All I could taste was Cheerios. Just Cheerios :rofl: :nauseated_face:

But I don’t drink it for the taste, and I suspect that is true of most Huel patrons. Huel has been a big help in keeping me healthy and my weight stable; if I’m really busy/stressed/drained and have to think about what to eat, I just won’t eat otherwise. My bloodwork also sings its praises.

What has helped the flavor for me is a really good flavored whey isolate powder I found a while back. It’s made by Muscle Feast if you’re interested.