Sleepiness After 2 Scoops of Huel?

Hi All,

I’ve been using Huel on and off for the past 2-3 years. I’ve noticed that after drinking two scoops of Huel powder (v2.0) I often feel sleepy afterward.

I’m hypoglycemic and have to be careful about eating too much sugar or too many simple carbs all at once or I’ll get a sugar crash and have brain fog for a couple of hours. The sleepiness I experience after drinking two scoops of Huel feels very similar to a sugar crash. In order to mitigate this, I often use only one scoop of Huel mixed with one scoop of whey protein, which helps. Has anyone else experienced this?

At first I thought that the carbs in Huel were causing this, but I recently learned that Huel has a very low GI (Glycemic Index) score (https://huel.com/pages/what-is-glycemic-index-and-load), so it’s unlikely that it would be causing a sugar crash.

(Currently, I use Huel RTD because it does not cause me to experience sleepiness. Unfortunately, it’s also much more expensive. As a side note, Huel RTD has a higher GI score than Huel powder, so I’m fairly positive that the glycemic index is not related to my symptoms. My current theory is that I’m experiencing a reaction to one of the ingredients.)

You’re best to speak to your doctor but it’s possible that because Huel is low in sugar that your body needs quicker access energy, which is why whey protein helps.

1 Like