Serving Size changes

I just got my first huel shipment in about 7 months and I noticed that there is less powder in each bag and the serving Sizes are smaller. I wasn’t given a new scoop so I have no idea how much powder to use… Anyone have any suggestions for correctly measuring the servings out if you don’t have a scale?

Heyo! A full serving of Huel is a heaping ¾ cup or 100 grams, and it contains 400 calories when mixed with about 16oz/500ml water. I’ll send some scoops out to you, though!

1 Like

There is 40 grams less Huel than before due to changes in the formula. There are still 7,000 calories in each bag, but the powder itself is roughly 2.3% more calorie dense.

Since you have the old scoop, you can find out the calories with this:
1 level scoop: old formula - 150 cal, new formula - 153.5 cal
1 rounded scoop: old formula - 166.7 cal, new formula - 170.5 cal

Thanks! Tyler. Most appreciated. I actually don’t have any old scoops either or I would try that option. In any case, thanks for the scoops.

1 Like

For clarification, the old scoop can be used as fairly comparable to the new scoop? I just ordered a new set & didn’t include scoops because I assumed them to be the same.

If you use the old scoop and continue using the same amount of scoops as before, you will get about 2% more of everything, so about 10 more calories for a three scoop shake, slightly more of all the vitamins as well, etc. You would also use up the bag 2% faster, etc. Its not much, but if you are strict about numbers, there is a small difference.

1 Like

So, I’m confused, I have two different scoops. One that is straight (older) and a tapered one we go on the last order. Did some water level measuring and the new tapered one is bigger than the older straight one. Is that correct?

The new scoop is bigger, and the new formula is denser. I’m not sure about the water amount, because the new serving size is bigger. Basically, to keep it simple use the new scoop with the new formula, each scoop is 200 cal as opposed to before when it was about 150 cal.

2 Likes

Hey Sonali. Sending you some scoops now :slight_smile: in the meantime, a heaping 3/4 cup is around 100g which is the standard serving size.

1 Like

Yes–the new scoop is bigger!

This is very useful information. 200 calories and 400 calories aren’t enough options. Now I can have a 307 calories option.

I dislike the 2019 scoop because powder often splashes onto my kitchen table when poured into the shaker, due to larger surface area on the 2019 scoop. This rarely happens with the 2018 scoop.

But what’s with “level scoop” vs “rounded scoop”? I thought it should always be “level”? I use two scoops for 333 calories, and I’m undereating the whole time?

Our recommended servings are based off of a level scoop, so your meals would have been accurate!

1 Like

It is supposed to be level, and you need to make sure that you are not packing it into the scoop when you measure it. It is the same as measuring flour. Don’t pack it down. Don’t press down when you are leveling off the top either because that will pack it down. If you can, do a straight motion, but I can’t, so if I have to, I will go toward me and up at the same time to level off the top. I just use a finger, but to be completely exact, you could use a knife, but as long as you’re careful, I think a finger is fine. I did the calculations, and I calculated that it would be 17.6 ounces of water, so I just rounded up to 18 ounces. I calculated this both by doing a proportion, and by using their ratio of one part powder to five parts water, by weight. They don’t mention the by weight part, so I suppose in the United Kingdom, it is a given that they do ratios by weight and not by volume. So basically, you get to grams of powder that you have, you multiply that by five, and that is the grams of water that you have. This is the one and only time that you can convert from grams 2 fluid ounces and have it work out. If you are using any other substance besides water, you can’t convert from grams to fluid ounces so this will not work with milk or something like that. If you were trying to use this ratio with milk, or with something else that is not water, you would have to say, how many fluid ounces is such and such grams of milk, by putting that into an online calculator or looking that up. And you might have to add a little bit more milk on top of the ratio they give because milk is not completely water. One cup of milk is 218 g of water based on what I just looked up, so it is mostly water, so that set might not be necessary, but if you are adding something to it that isn’t mostly water, then you might I wanted to look that up, and calculate how much you are going to add based on how much water is actually in that substance. But even that might not work because if this substance has a thickening portion or something like that, the ratio might not work and you’ll just have to try it. This ratio was only designed for water, and I personally, just think that it would work for other substances that are mostly water. And again, one more time, you can only convert from grams to fluid ounces when you are dealing with water. A weight outs, how heavy something is, is different then a fluid ounce, how much you measure when you are filling up your shaker. Water is the only substance where a fluid ounce and a weight outs are the same, which is why you can just see how many ounces 500 g is. Like imagine filling up your shaker to the 17 ounce mark with peanut butter for example. That is still 17 fluid ounces of peanut butter, but that is going to weigh a lot more than 17 fluid ounces of water, so you have to remember that a fluid outs is not the same as weight. But the short answer is that it should be about 18 ounces of water. I don’t know if they have updated their website or what number they have on there, but if you are going by there ratio, and their ratio hasn’t changed with the new formula, then it should be 17.6 ounces, rounding that up to 18. If you really want to, you could probably try to get halfway between the 17 and 18 ounce marks, but figuring that just over 2 teaspoons of water really isn’t going to make that much of a difference in consistency, I just go up to 18. Actually, if I am adding yogurt to make it more creamy, I might go up to 20 because if I don’t, the yogurt might make it too thick. I only add about a tablespoon. I want it to be more creamy. Not thick like frosting. So if you are adding yogurt, even if it is just a tablespoon, I would recommend that you go up.