My experience: My new favorite food

• Product: Unflavored, gluten free
  • Cost: I got this for really cheap $5 where I’m at (because it’s expired - but dry food is good past the expiration usually - so that’s fine). I wasn’t even sure it was vegan - but the ingredients looked good. I found out it was - so cool! Putting all these ingredients together would be around $400 for me. I would buy Naturelo vitamins for $80, pea protein for $10-20, raw brown rice for $20, calcium supplements $8, hair vitamins for $2 and this is without being able to afford flaxseeds and mct oil. I would have to buy double of all, hence the high price. That’s a bargain I want to keep.
  • Taste: I didn’t like it - not sweet enough. However, I bought it for its lack of sweetener - as I want to do that myself. So I added tiger nut flour (1:2 ratio - that means adding in 2lbs of tiger nut for my 4lb bag). Now it tastes like freshness - like going to the beach or coming from it. It tastes like the future!
  • Healing I got a concussion and lost my appetite for a while (it came back) and have been trying to make up for my food loss to no avail. This really helped, and helps my concussion heal too (although that may be the tiger nut flour - which is brain food to me). I also donated blood and would be tired afterwards - not anymore. I feel so energized - like I had coffee.
    *Portability: I just feel like I can take this anywhere - hiking, etc. I work in warehouses where I bend up and down all day and walk a lot. So something already cut up to a powder helps it absorb quickly, so there’s no sloshing or just sitting in my stomach like normal food would (which just makes me malnourished). I also feel like I gain a lot of muscle, which’ll help a lot. I don’t like having a lunch box - as people move it around and then it gets thrown out or criticized - so something that can be in my car’s the best.
  • Packaging I need to put this in a large glass jar to shake - because I’m mixing ingredients - as the zipper is not enough to hold back 6lbs of course. I just use a reusable spoon instead of a scoop and add it to a mason jar to drink. That simple.
  • Lifestyle: I want to be more of a minimalist and before I felt I had to buy a bunch of foods in bulk and add them all to their own jars - which would be a lot of space. Now I just need one jar with the mix of tiger nut and huel and that’s it! For my daily life, because it’s so cheap and really flexible in terms of meals (I eat it when I’m hungry, so I can go without it for a while) - I’m able to eat other foods for a quick bite there if I go out without worries about having to buy more/stock up, or spend too much money.
  • Issues: None except silly stuff - what will I do with all the other food that I have? :slight_smile: Can I get to the location in time to get another before they run out? :slight_smile:
  • Benefit/Futuristic: This is going to set me up for the best life I could imagine. Been waiting for this my whole life! My new favorite food that’ll bring me into the future! There’s even a forum to go with it! Now all that’s left is growing everything else in vertical farms without meat and wow - amazing sights I’d see and want to live in - so eco :slight_smile:

Update: I will still need to the Naturelo - as they have rare stuff that’s not in Huel (like eye, joint, and heart vitamins), but I won’t need them as much - due to not needing them for vitamin pills.

4 Likes

Good read. Thanks.

Mixing Tiger Nut flour into Huel… hmmmm. I have read about tiger nut flour but never used it. I may need to order some from Amazon to give it a try. From what I understand, tiger nuts are really a tuber not an actual nut. So I bet the flour would blend well with Huel.

2 Likes

@Deron thanks. Liked sharing the info and glad you’re giving it a try. It’s a tuber. I eat it because it’s like brain food and tastes sweet and earthy. I heard our ancestors ate it: https://paleoleap.com/all-about-tiger-nuts/ and it seems to make sense, as it’s so easy to eat. It did blend well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another update: I believe I have version 1.0, which seems a lot better than the 3.0.

Makes my skin nice (maybe from the oils. like MCT) and I’m getting in shape (from the protein). I eat this for meals and snacks. These days I’ll only eat a regular meal once in a while now to get rid of my food supply or get what’s being shared, as the huel keeps me from getting hungry when I go somewhere (so no cravings or wanting a food when i see it somewhere).

I’m starting to realize that having more omega 3’s in the product might not be beneficial to me (they added more to make the 1.1). The reason is that my blood vessels are really thin from the lack of cholesterol from the vegan diet, and the flaxseeds alone cause me to bruise more than I normally do. So I actually need less flaxseeds/omega 3 instead of more.

I’m starting to think I need to eat carrots with this, as it’s cheap, because huel doesn’t take up enough volume in my stomach to where my brain keeps saying I’m hungry when I’m not, and I do like some fresh produce once in a while in my diet. So I will supplement the huel with it and see if that helps until my body adjusts. I seem to be better when I do that. It’s not huel’s fault, it’s my brain.

1 Like

Huel makes even cooking look antiquated - so last century

2 Likes

So last century… I love it😎

2 Likes

Hey some of us are still foodies and enjoy the experience of sharing a meal with others. We spend so much time glued to technology that it’s nice to disconnect for an 30 minutes-an hour a day and just catch up with your loved ones.

1 Like

Hey, if people want to do that, cool. It’s just like playing CDs though - cool once in a while to reminisce and maybe some people do that - but it’s still antiquated.

Hey, I still experience sharing a meal with others using Huel - it just doesn’t require cooking - which I feel uses resources and is not good for the environment is all. Also, meal sharing sometimes happens virtually or even through reading recipes.

Yes - being glued to the screen is an issue, but I’ve never really experienced sharing a glued to the stove experience either.

Update: the only reason why I can go vegan is due to Vitamin K2. However, Huel doesn’t have K2 (at least not mine), so I can’t use it to replace all my food.

1 Like

Take a supplement, problem solved.

2 Likes

Huel does contain vitamin K2, it’s listed in the ingredient list as “Menaquinone-7”. You can see the exact amount under the additional information nutritional table. For v3.0 Powder it’s 34µg per 100g/400kcal.

4 Likes

you’re right - thank you - I was incorrect on it. Awesome job on keeping Huel rock solid (i.e. no big issues)!

1 Like

Update: This is a really nice, welcoming, comprehensive, responsive forum that I’m really happy to be on! It’s a dream come true.

more info:

• really glad this has no soy, gluten, peanuts, caffeine, etc. - all the stuff that makes me ill.
  • the foods on the list use little water to grow - which gets my approval!
2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes sustainability is a big one for us! These stats might be interesting to you.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, I love helping out! They all surprised me - especially the food waste.

It’s missing water: from www.hydrol-earth-syst-sci.net/15/1577/2011/, the gallons of water per pound of food to grow each, using my label:

• peas: 79
  • Oat: 236
  • hulled brown rice: 287
  • flax: 683

The others are too small to count. Since it’s the pea/rice protein, it might be higher form processing, but cool to know to compare it to other meals that might be eaten :slight_smile:

1 Like