Just got it from FedEx

Unsweetened version first (2 minutes ago): Opened it up, put it in a clean bottle, 500ml of water, 3 scoops.
I was ready for this. I had read all of the negative and positive first experiences on the forum. I figured it wouldn’t be too different from plain oats in water (yep, I used to eat that - but now I’m fat and add in salt and sugar ;)) which I love the taste of.
Shook it, then drank. I GAGGED! Sure the TASTE was good like plain oats, but the texture?? Mashed up legumes!
But this is for my health - I will prevail…

I was planning to get unsweetened for my next batch but now I’m scared! The vanilla one tastes great to me and even better when I mix in cacao powder!

1 Like

The taste was just fine. It was the texture! So I’m sure you’ll be fine if you’ve been eating the other stuff. I haven’t opened my vanilla one yet, but I can let you know by tomorrow what the differences are in taste and texture, if any.

1 Like

The texture could take some getting used to. Heh. I also haven’t been doing the entire serving size, so I have room to add more water if needed.

An immersion blender and a night in the fridge improves the consistency tremendously in my opinion… Not at all a fan of the unadulterated taste of plain, but that was the point… experimentation is key…

This.

I can’t deal with it straight from the bag to the bottle and down the trap. Once you let it set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, it gets a little less gritty and a lot more smoothie like. Figure the flax needs some time to soak up some of the water. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The texture takes a few attempts to get accustomed. After a short time, it becomes natural.

Chilling helps. I always blend mine and that helps. Adding applesauce also seems to change the texture. Always sip water after your last bit of Huel to wash it out of the back of the throat.

Funny thing is that I am now preferring the UU Huel for a lot of my doses. I had used only Vanilla for 2 months and then got two bags of UU to test it. At first, I didn’t like it. But I have to prepare it differently . I learned to add my own flavoring and now I’ve gotten good at it. UU Huel is a blank slate that allows for more possibilities. But you gotta put some more effort to make it good. Risk-reward situation.

1. 250 ml milk
  2. 250 ml water
  3. 2 scoops UU Huel
  4. 2 tablespoons applesauce (unsweetened)
  5. 1 banana
  6. 2 tablespoons natural PB
  7. Pumpkin Pie spice seasoning
  8. Blend and chill

= very very good

2 Likes

I tried berries blended in with vanilla and found it too sweet. Hoping unsweetened will help tone the sweetness down for me so I can enjoy some berries again. Apple sauce and pumpkin spice seasoning sounds amazing!

1 Like

I am happy to hear you say that; you were … vocal … about how bad UU was at first :slight_smile:

I do think a blender of some kind is key

1 Like

It’s funny how people differ. Personally, I find if I make the Huel the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight, it becomes… something I can barely choke down, texture-wise. Freshly mixed, I like it a lot, it feels like slightly processed oatmeal to me, and I quite enjoy it.

Once it sits, it gets a … what I can only describe as a slimy feel to me, and it really bugs me.

I’m overstating, I can certainly drink it, but it’s not nearly as enjoyable for me as freshly mixed (as long as it’s mixed with ice water, and is plenty cold).

2 Likes

I wake up blend mine in a blender with ice put it in the shaker and put it in the fridge. Then I grab it when I’m leaving for work. The blender Deffently makes it much better. And the ice makes it like a milk shake

1 Like

YES! Cool to cold is a must. Not sure why it makes such a difference but it does. And I also think the texture is better when blended, although I don’t do that often due to the extra mess and noise.

If i have to drink it right away, I always use the blender to tame the texture. I tried something different this morning, I blended it in my nutribullet and then let it sit on the table while I took a shower. When I drank it, the grains had softened and thickened, it was a bit nicer. I mix my lunch serving in a shaker bottle and let it sit in the fridge at work for a few hours, that’s definitely thicker and smoother. I tried leaving it in the fridge overnight, but wound up with oatmeal pudding. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it was surprising and difficult to drink from the small opening in my shaker cup.