Is Huel raw vegan?

I look periodically into raw veganism, as it’s a small trend. On https://huel.com/pages/how-huel-and-the-huel-ingredients-are-produced, it shows the oats are heat treated. I heard that up to 118F is the most for raw food. I don’t need an exact number, but wondering if it’s above or below that to know what to say to people (any myself :)).

It’s a difficult one.

I guess it’s how strict someone is to the “raw” part.

The temperature is likely higher than 118F but that’s important to “release” the nutrition. Raw vegans argue that keeping everything raw means the nutritional value and what a person gets out of a food is at its best but that’s not always the case.

2 Likes

True! Crucifers, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. have toxins/lower bioavailability/concentration of nutrients. Soaking can release them/remove anti-nutrients (like oats for Huel) and dehydrating concentrates them too, so arguments against raw aren’t worries.

I get inflamed from cooked food, which raw heals, so I like learning and thank you for helping me. Air drying’s alright, but nothing in the sun, to avoid radiation, and not dehydrators (as it’s low-temperature cooking).

1 Like

@Dan_Huel do you know the exact temperature the oats get heated to and for how long?

Hey @hotcha I’m going to paste Tim’s reply from the UK forum so others can see “the oats go through a drying process to give then a stability status (low moisture) making then safe and ready to be consumed. So yes they are heat-treated to increase longevity of the whole end product, but they aren’t cooked per se, just dried. Hope that’s helpful!”

Unfortunately it’s not as it answered neither of my questions.

Edit: it’s somewhat helpful. No matter, I am returning my product.

Apologies, could you give me a bit more context as to what you want to find out and I might be able to help further.