Are many Huelers vegan?

Just wondering, do many or most folks here consider themselves vegan, or only a few?

Huel is vegan - how important was that to you in your decision to use Huel?

1 Like

I’ve been Vegan for a few months. I was using Huel before that though so it didn’t really factor into my decision to use Huel. I think using Huel for many of my meals probably influenced me to go Vegan since I was barely eating animal products anyway and felt good.

4 Likes

I am, since 2005, so the fact Huel is vegan was critical in my decision to begin consuming it a couple of years ago.

4 Likes

Not vegan, or vegetarian. I just appreciate the focus Huel puts on nutrition and quality of ingredients. I don’t believe there’s another product that does, especially at Huel’s price point.

4 Likes

I’ve been vegan for a little over two years. I would not have tried Huel if it wasn’t vegan; I am so thankful that it is!

3 Likes

Definitely not vegan, bacon is too delicious for that. :bacon: The fact that it’s complete nutrition was the biggest selling point for me.

1 Like

I’m a vegetarian (ovo-lacto) who has limited dairy these days (because I tend to gain weight when I eat it) and can no longer eat eggs unless in a baked good (I have no issues eating cakes and things, but after having some bad eggs a few years ago, I feel really sick when I eat eggs/ most foods with eggs cooked in).

I still have a small amount of dairy and items containing eggs that don’t make me sick, but they are occasional allowances.

That huel is vegan was an exciting added bonus, but not the main reason I use it. I mostly use it as my lunch, I eat breakfast every other day, and dinner is whatever I feel like. Huel ensures that one meal per day is nutritionally complete. If it was not vegetarian, or contained eggs, I wouldn’t have tried it at all.

1 Like

I originally ordered Huel back in early 2018 as a convenient way to get a complete meal in at work, where it’s difficult to heat up food and eat it comfortably within my time frame. Then as I began to see the health benefits of Huel and time-restricted eating, I began to research the health benefits of a plant based diet. Several other Huel posters on this discussion board were already vegan and had mentioned some reasons they were. I calculated that I had already been eating vegan for more than half of my food intake in 2018 anyway, so I’d try full vegan (plant based) for the month of January 2019. I’ve kept it ever since.

I have compiled a Google Drive document with personal notes and references to lots of scientific articles on the effects of animal products and plant based diets on human health. This was my the first platform that convinced me to go plant based.

After exhausting my reading on the health aspects, I naturally began exploring the environmental and ethical aspects of removing animal products from the diet. I have now come to understand that these are necessary for maintaining a vegan way of eating long term. I never envisioned becoming an animal rights activist, and do not consider myself one. But you don’t have to be an activist to be a decent and rationale person. There are very compelling environmental and ethical reasons to ditch meat and dairy. I hate to say it, but the ethical reasons are actually the most compelling.

In my overall research I have found that roughly half of the articles I have read show that meat and dairy are bad for human health, about 25% of them show no conclusion one way or the other, and about 25% show some health benefit from consuming them. so, it’s not a slam dunk 100% thing when it comes to the scientific research of animal products on human health. But, I would say the overall consensus is that animal products are not necessary for human health and are probably more bad than good. when it comes to environmental impacts of eating animal products, the evidence is stronger than the health benefits. Although, it’s still not a hundred percent since and there will always be some doubt as to how much it is contributing to the environmental destruction. But again the overall evidence shows that the meat and dairy industry are probably contributing negatively to the environment in significant ways. To the contrary, when you start looking into how animals are treated in factory farms and truly look at it from an open mind without any personal bias, there is no doubt that these practices are wrong. The ethical argument for veganism is actually the strongest, despite the fact that I learned about it last. It’s also the least popular and also the most triggering. So I’m not going to preach or going to details. And how can I, since I ate an omnivore diet for the first 43 years of my life. So I am just as guilty as anybody.

7 Likes

I lean vegetarian, though can’t really because of anemia/other issues. The vegan part of Huel was just kind of a bonus along with their sustainability and whatnot.

1 Like

I’m Vegan and I looked for a Vegan choice when I was researching a meal drink. It’s very important to me, and I like the company founder’s stance on reducing the impact on the planet by staying clear of animal products. Yay Huel!

1 Like

+1… Vegan here as well and share the same sentiments.

2 Likes

Not vegan or vegetarian here, just like the convenience, along with the knowing of exactly what I am putting in my body. I have dangerously high blood pressure and find it really difficult to avoid overly high sodium in any (other than Huel and a few others) sort of processed food, and even with medication I have to focus really watch diet and weight, but with Huel I know exactly what I am getting and I can trust it. It makes diet something I don’t have to really think about.
I am an extremely busy person in my career and if I didn’t have something like Huel, my “go to” convenience breakfast and lunch would wind up being canned spaghetti or a microwave burrito or something like that.
Funny story, since going on home lockdown when Covid hit, I haven’t been on Huel, just making stuff at home, started back up about a week ago and feel great…strange things like the low-grade isolation depression I have had these last few months feel better, just feel in a better mood, etc.

1 Like

I am neither vegan nor vegetarian. I enjoy my fair share of things like steak and cheese. With Huel though, a majority of what I eat is either vegan or vegetarian.

1 Like

I’m not a vegan or a vegetarian. I eat a lot of huel because it’s a healthy choice and I like the macro/micro ratios.

2 Likes