How do I stop bingeing?

I’ve been on Huel about two weeks now and have since gone to two Huel meals a day. Breakfast consists of two scoops with a serving of PB fit and lunch is the same sometimes without the PB. I’ll usually do a light dinner since I find myself occasionally snacking on garbage during the day but it seems after dinner I just get ravenous and will just eat a bunch of snacks. I’ve been trying really hard to cut back since going cold turkey is destined for failure. I’ve managed to not binge as hard but still find myself doing it. (Tonight I ate a bag of candy and some brownies)

I’m trying to keep my daily calorie intake around 1500-1600 since I’m trying to lean up. I travel for work but when I’m able I cycle, usually 20-40 miles a day and sometimes 50+ on weekends. My cardio endurance has gotten pretty good and I’ll usually only burn around 700-800 calories for a 20mi ride with an avg speed of 21mph. I’ve been away for work for the past to weeks which is coincidentally the amount of time I’ve been on Huel so I haven’t been on the bike. Is it just my body adjusting to the new diet? I know that I can have Huel as a snack which I’m going to push myself to do but when there’s treats around, mainly at work then I just can’t resist.

EDIT: While I may get some hate for posting this I’m 5’5 currently at 135. My goal is 125 for some reason that number has just always been in my head. I just want my body to be tight like the pros are and not have this fat around my stomach area.

3 Likes

From personal experience I understand your frustration. There was one year where I would control myself to the extreme (probably not eating enough) until after dinner. Then I would do a trip to the kitchen and stay there until I ate the whole loaf of bread; the pasta I had ready for the next couple of days or my housemates meals.

Nowadays, I only face this issue with bread (baguette). If there is any left, I will go after dinner and get one bite. Then another. All until the baguette is finished. No matter how full I was before or after.

I find really hard to cut on it. However, when I have been successful there are few key points:

• Avoid the first bite. This for me is key, since once you dip in the cookie jar, your mind has given up. Use any tricks in your sleeve to prevent the first bite.
  • Try to have a filling dinner.
  • Avoid staying late. This helps me because the longer I stay up, the more likely I am to give up to the hunger.
  • Brush your teeth when you get the impulse of wanting food.
  • If you find yourself in the kitchen; grab water instead.

Hope you get over it!

5 Likes

If I’m having a craving, I go ahead and have a Huel first and if it is still lingering I’ll go ahead and cave in to it. Huel is really easy for counting calories, but all the other stuff is kind of hard to keep up with. Even if one or two extra Huels puts you over your calorie goal, it’s usually better for you than what you are craving. Nobody is perfect and you can’t expect to not have any hiccups along the way. I’d suggest not beating yourself up too bad about it and just trying to gradually improve. I saw a meme that showed someone eating 8 oreos and someone else asking if they were on a diet. The person said that they were actually on a diet and they really wanted 10 oreos so stopping at 8 was an improvement. That is just some humor of course, but it’s still on the right track of gradually improving. Writing down the bingeing calories or logging them before you eat them is also a good step so it makes you think about it instead of mindlessly bingeing. Trying to identify what you’re feeling before you binge also helps. I’ll try to identify if I’m just bored or if I’m actually hungry.

3 Likes

You probably aren’t eating enough during the first part of the morning, where the bulk of your calories needs to be. Also, Huel scoops are very inaccurate and you should weigh your powder out instead.

I would recommend seeing a dietictian for a healthy meal plan. I am 5’5" and 160lbs. If you have muscle then it will weigh “more” than fat. What is a bigger size? A pound of bricks or a pound of feathers? Think if muscle as a brick and fat as a feather. Muscle will weigh more with a smaller size area than fat will.

Weight is relative, do not get stuck on it or you will never achieve your goals with a happy heart.

Also, your body burns a minimum of 1200 a day just to function your organs. If you burn more than that and are not replacing it then your body will think it is starving (because it literally is) and cause you to become ravenous. Exercise will require more food intake to sustain your gains and tour activity level. The more active you are the more you will need to eat. Eating more while being insanely active does not equal weight gain, you can still lose/not gain while increasing your calorie consumption.

Those bodybuilders eat 3000 calories a day, I assure you.

I am worried for you, from what you say you really are not eating enough. :[

I know I’m late to the party but hope I might have some insight. Some background former fatty that used to be 280lbs now hover low 190s in the military and favorite past time is cycling. I’m 6’2" and low teens body fat.

You are doing quite a bit of cardio. All the times I was doing alot of cardio for half marathons or bike races I put on weight. Excessive exercise is stressful on the body and throws your hormones off and usually leads to weight gain. Also it is important to eat burnt calories from longer efforts or the binge will occur. I used to high five myself for burning alot of calories from an epic ride and find my self binging late that night.

What also helps alot is to have a dedicated cheat window whether a day or a meal. Throughout the week any cravings you have, write down and save it for say after the long ride on Saturday. That way you can have real foods you crave vs garbage around the house or office. Are a handful of office candies worth the calories or would you rather have your favorite meal with friends after that epic ride?

I know it might seem counter intuitive but swapping out some of those rides for either rest or weight training would be far better for body composition. Those are probably junk miles anyways and do not contribute to being faster on the bike.

1 Like