Food addiction and Huel only for 7 days

I am a sugar addict. High carbohydrate foods are to me what liquor is to the alcoholic. If I allow myself to partake in some, I go into full blown addictive behaviors and it spirals out of control. When I started Huel back in October, I drank two Huels during the day and at night whatever I wanted within reason. I gave myself permission to eat the forbidden carb foods because I was strict with myself during the day. I set myself up for failure and have spiraled into months of addictive eating and plenty of weight gain.

I decided to go Huel-only for 7 days to break the addictive cycle with food. As of day three, I’m thinking it’s a good idea and it’s working to break the addiction. Over the last few months, I have been incapable of saying no to cravings and I have had binge eating behaviors. Now, I have moments of intense craving for pizza, cookies, etc but I don’t give in and they pass. I most often crave the foods I eat when I adhere to a very low carb food plan, I’m looking forward to having a salad.

Physically I feel fantastic with no ill affects of only consuming Huel, we’ll see how it goes with the psychological aspect of food addiction. I’ll keep you posted!

4 Likes

Check out some of the recipes posted in the forums, ways people have tweaked Huel to satisfy those taste buds.

Keep it up. Best :wink::ok_hand:

2 Likes

I know exactly how you feel. I’m a huge snacker, particularly potato chips. What works for me is being disciplined during the week, within reason, and allowing myself to relax during the weekends. We all need the mental break and it’s very important that you’re not so hard on yourself. I do 2 Huel meals/day during the week and on the weekends, am mindful of what I eat but also allow myself to indulge so that I’m not completely depriving myself of the other things I love. I also discovered Outstanding Foods, which makes these awesome vegan pork rinds with 25g of protein per bag as well as a meal replacement bag of puffs. Not exactly the healthiest snack option, but better than a bag of Doritos or Kettle Cooked Salt & Vinegar chips.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I’ve lost over 100 lbs with this approach and have kept it off for about 8 months now.

1 Like

Have you lost any weight yet from consuming only Huel?

I haven’t weighed in yet. I plan to at the end of the 7 days. I’m consuming considerably less calories than usual and exercising so I hope there will be weight loss. I’ll post the results.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, it’s so helpful to read what works for everyone! You are inspiring for sure!

1 Like

My pleasure! We’re all here to help each other in any way that we can. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like