Expiry date vs. received date?

Just received my first shipment of Huel. From what I read on the website, it is supposed to stay good for a year, which is fantastic. The problem is, I received my shipment today (8/31) and it says it expires 06/2019. This means that it was produced 3 months ago and has just been sitting around. Huel advertises that it stays good for a year… so guess what? I want it to be good for a year from when I receive it, not 9 months from when I receive it… 25% of the time is already gone.

No cool, Huel.

Anyone else having this experience?

I have not really paid attention to the dates because I know the bags won’t sit around more than a few weeks. How many bags are you ordering at once? Do you expect to have those bags until mid next year? Just curious.

4 Likes

I plan to lay a few down in the wine cellar and open in 2045, 2060, and 2080 - just for old times’ sake.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I heard the 1967 vintage is excellent. Avoid the '68.

2 Likes

Most of the Huel bags I buy were produced 2 to 3 months before I got them. And then I’ve had a bag made in Feb 2018, which I bought in May, been sitting in my pantry till I opened it yesterday. I’m drinking it right now and it tastes good. I buy 4 to 6 bags at a time. So there’s almost no way it will last beyond its “expiration time”.

Almost all packaged food bought at the store was made months before I actually bought it. They probably get their ingredients in batches and mix the final product as a big batched production, to be efficient. If I were to purchase a packaged food at the store and it expired in 9 months, that would seem normal to me. So, why apply a more strict standard for Huel?

1 Like

These replies are great :smiley:

Deron,

Thank you for your informative reply as well. My thought was for Huel is, being that it advertises that it doesn’t expire for “over a year”, it was a little disappointing that my first shipment (4 bags) all expired in 9 months.

My thought process behind this is:

1. Being that Huel is… Huel, I wanted (or expected I guess) something a little different than the average packaged food life-cycle experience. I get the manufacturing process and why they do what they do in an effort to be efficient and cost effective … I just thought it may be a little different.

2. Marketing. If one of the main marketing attention points is “Huel has a shelf life of over 1 year, and contains carefully-sourced and sustainable ingredients”, this may mislead the consumer into thinking that the product they receive will be at or around this one year mark when they receive it. No food waste is awesome!

3. Travel. I travel a lot… domestic and international. With Huel, I plan on leaving some with colleges in other countries so that when I return, I can have my Huel waiting for me. A longer shelf-life would help out with potential loss should my travels not bring me back to that location after 6-9 months.

I know it it a little nitpicky, but just wanted to get others thoughts/experiences. I appreciate the replies and will continuing enjoying this great product :slight_smile:

I got a bag of Vanilla today that will expire only 4 months from the receipt date. I’m thinking it’s maybe someone’s returned bag? The other bag in my shipment expires 11 months from now.
No worries though, as it will all be consumed within the next 2-3 weeks :yum:

Why not just travel with enough to get you through each trip? Seems a bit wasteful to leave bags all over the world for a “just in case” scenario.