Changes in powder v3.1

I’ve recently gotten to try v3.1 with mint chocolate.

The texture is definitely smoother, in kind of a slimey way? It seems to clump up about the same amount but it’s much more noticeable and slightly more off-putting than before. The grittiness of v3.0 made the clumps less weird to me. I’d take the old texture over the new one, but I can get used to the new one.

I was also curious about the nutritional changes. The only information I could find relating to nutrition is from the UK blog and forums. I’m from the US - is all this info generally applicable to me?

What changes are we making to Huel Powder v3.0?

I’ve also read this discussion on the other forum:

Introducing v3.1 🖤 - #29 by Dan_Huel - Huel

Nutritional questions:
Most of it seems generally the same, but there were a couple points glossed over in that thread, mainly the removal of lycopene and probiotics.

Why were probiotics removed? As far as I can tell, the argument for removal was that the prebiotics are good enough, so having probiotics was unnecessary. Does this mean that there was no benefit to having it in Huel to begin with?

Likewise with lycopene, was there really no benefit to having it in Huel?

Is there any difference in glycemic index of v3 to v3.1? People seemed worried about tapioca starch replacing tapioca flour, and I didn’t see anyone respond to it.

Some differences I saw people talking about I do not see, this may just be regional. Protein content is the same at 30g, sugar is still the same at 1g, and I actually see an increase in sodium (that could just be the specific flavors).

I’d just like to add I very much appreciate Huel’s transparency, community, and the focus on nutritionally optimized food. If it comes to it I would rather pay more for Huel than sacrifice nutrition (after all that is what Huel Essential is for). I hope someone can clarify the confusion.

The goal with the v3.1 powder was to be able to maintain affordability, improve sustainability, and improve upon texture and flavors. In terms of the probiotics, it aligned with our mission to keep the price the same and reduce our environmental impact by removing the probiotics. If we kept the probiotics in, it would have meant we had to increase the price. It’s not that there was no benefit to begin with, it is that when it came down to our goals with the new formula, it made the most sense to not include the probiotics. Similarly with the lycopene, it was not contributing significantly enough to justify increasing prices or having more of an environmental impact. We do still offer the Black Edition powder that includes probiotics and lycopene for those who wish to still consume those ingredients in their Huel.
The terms tapioca starch and tapioca flour are used interchangeably, they are the same thing, so it’s not likely that GI score would be impacted by this change specifically.
You are correct that there are very slight changes to certain nutritionals, such as: the fiber has increased by 1g, sugar is <1g rather than 1g, total fat has decreased by 1g and sodium has decreased by 60mg.

I hope this provided some clarity and insight into the changes we have made!

Thank you! That does clarify the changes

You’re welcome! Happy to help. :blush: