Can Huel be used as a workout/mr drink?

I eat pretty healthy on a regular basis but breakfast + protein drink in the morning after workout is often a chore. Does anyone use this as a supplement for workout nutrition? If so, does it work pretty well? Thanks.

Oh definitely. Several people on the forums have reported using it for this purpose. My brother in law started using Huel before his exercise sessions (I gave him some of mine to try). Iā€™ve done a dose of Huel after my bicycling sessions.

Although Huel has all 3 macro-nutrients in a nice balanced mix, there is a good amount of protein in it, so it can function well as a post or pre workout meal.

Iā€™m really big into weightlifting and I find it is a great post-workout meal as well! The 37g of protein is hard to beat. :slight_smile:

Huel is good nutrition around workout. I would say even better after the workout, since you need more protein than carbs, than before the workout (when the role of carbohydrates as source of fuel is key),

There are threads of people using Huel for activities as hardcore as ultra marathon running.

As for your workouts, you will find no problem, Huel may be even better than protein shakes that you take, because it is not only protein that are you taking. Your body does need the carbs and the fats after the workout.

Letā€™s see why Huel is good after a workout:

1. Amount of protein between 30-40g (depending if you take 100g or 125g) is in the top spectrum of what your body can absorbe within a meal (Shoenfeld BJ, 2018). You should aim for 1.6g of prot/kg/day to 2.2g of prot/kg/day for maximum anabolic response.

2. Quality of amino acid profile and sources. While whey protein (mainly) is considered the king of protein when it comes to anabolyc growth (due to muscle protein synthesis stimulation, absorption rateā€¦) recently pea protein andrice protein have been shown to have a similar effect of that of whey. The combination of both is great because rice is rich in essential amino acids pea is lacking (e.g methionine). Great read about nutrition around exercise.

3. Leucine content. This is a comparison I made for the Plenny Shake review. You can see that Huel is really rich in leucine as it is whey, when compared to other a.a. Leucine has a key role inmuscle synthesis and keeping lean mass in the elderly.
    Huel%20vs%20Whey%20protein%20EAA%20content
    The table shows EAA content on Huel and Plenny Shake and WP (100g).

And Iā€™m too tired to write more. All I can say that I have never had a problem except that I sometimes I miss those sweet chocolate protein shakes (for some reason there isnā€™t any half decent chocolate MR). Good luck on your Huel journey

Not to derail this threadā€¦ your statement is certainly the ā€œconventional wisdomā€ of nutrition and workouts.

However, I have yet to see any actual studies proving this. And, as an anecdote to oppose this, I have been purposely exercising while fasted during the last few months, just to try it out. I sometimes wait an hour or two afterwards to break the fast. I find that although my performance is hindered a little (Iā€™d estimate I perform about 85% of my potential verses exercise while fed), this fasting exercise has really helped me slim down.

I think it was Brad Pilonā€™s book, ā€œEat, Stop, Eatā€ where I first read about the concept of exercising while fasted. I thought it was weird. But I tried it and I am fine with it.

Now, exercising while fasted may not be the best strategy for professional athletes or someone training for competition. I donā€™t expect Worldā€™s Strongest Man athletes are doing this. In fact, I donā€™t imagine their stomach is ever empty. But for the majority of people, exercising while fasted is perfectly fine and may be beneficial verses exercising on a fed stomach.

Iā€™d say if you feel you need food before or immediately after a workout, then go for it. Whatever helps keep you on an exercise program. But for those who have practiced IF and gotten adjusted to it, it is entirely possible to exercise while deep into a fast.

The bear awakens from hibernation and fasting for several months, keenly adapted to hunt and get his meal. Ancient man did not carb-up before the hunt. He/she was able to hunt or gather after having not eaten for 3 days. His energy level was high and his mental function was sharp, which enabled him to get his food. He was hungry AF, to be sure. That was his motivation. But he was physically able to perform whatever necessary to get his food. Itā€™s one of the reasons the human race persists.

Perhaps inmediately is not the key, but the carb load before a big event is still a thing. Plus taking enough food (most typically in terms of carbs is recommended, more the more you do). It is incorporated in one of the papers I linked.

That does not mean it is the only way. Each person is different and luckily that means different things can work out.

However, because studies with humans are difficult, they have biases and limitations, scientific proof is not irrefutable or they are not 100% laws, but optimal guidelines.

I have trained while fasting and I have trained without fasting. Both have worked out for me. Optimization becomes less important if you are not an elite athlete or do not aim for perfection.

Interesting reads:
Carbs in proximity to a workout maybe not necessary unless athlete (review 2013) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3570376/

Carbs might benefit short workouts (45min) as well as longer (2h+)

Carbs during and after increase performance

Overal review

which states that "light carbohydrate and protein snack 30 to 60 min prior to exercise (e.g., 50 g of carbohydrate and 5 to 10 g of protein) serves to increase carbohydrate availability toward the end of an intense exercise bout "

2 Likes