Blood Glucose Response of v3.0 and Black Edition

We’ve conducted a trial to look into the blood glucose response of our Powders, similar to previous versions.

You can find it here.

1 Like

So there’s obviously a difference between the two products, but it seems like maybe not a huge one? As a lay person, it’s hard for me to draw much of a conclusion from the data without having any frame of reference. Is the difference large enough for there to be any practical difference between 3.0 and Black, perhaps in terms of satiety?

I get that the data tells you exactly what you want to know about Huel, but I would find a chart that compares Huel to other similar products or even a few different 400 calorie conventional meals to be interesting, although that would be admittedly more difficult / time consuming / expensive for the sake of something that wouldn’t have much value beyond marketing.

Thanks Eric that’s a really good point. Including a reference, food is a good idea. It wouldn’t take too much work it just means people have to undertake a third blood glucose test on a third day.

For a healthy individual, there is no practical difference between the two.

Really the sample size should be larger and more comprehensive (diabetics + non diabetics) to pull more information. Though I understand doing so isn’t feasible for the company and they really just want base information. I agree it should also compare similar products and conventional meals as it would be far more insightful. Glad to see others read these and have questions too!
*I’ve read/worked on enough research to skim and ID flaws.

Yeah, because a person’s insulin sensitivity as well as digestion rate will vary from person to person. So, the sample size is not enough for a published scientific paper. But, none the less, it’s some information and we appreciate the transparency of the information. Huel seems to be a company that wants to be transparent about their ingredients and the various nutritional impacts of their product. How many other food companies are showing post-meal blood glucose readings of volunteers of their own product? I don’t know of any other.

These post-meal blood glucose readings are close to what someone would predict by looking at the weighted average glycemic index of the main components of Huel. My only issue is I need to look at the formula converting these units over to what I’m used to in the United States, mg/dL. I am used to seeing blood glucose readings in 80 to 140 mg/dL ranges.

Yeap exactly the sample size is what we could work with based on time constraints but still provides plenty of information. It isn’t a published scientific article.

We have had the glycemic index tested of v3.0 and it’s 16 - super low. We’re waiting on the results for Black Edition.

Sorry Deron! The units have been changed now.

1 Like