Apple Huel Muffins and Banana Huel Cookies

Apple Huel Muffins

3 cups Vanilla Huel (this may need to be reduced to 2 cups)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
2 cups milk of your choice (maybe only 1.5 cups if you use only 2 cups of Huel)
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup plain Applesauce (I might use a full cup next time)
1 or 2 chopped apples (Fugi for me)
1/4 to 1/3 cup raisins

All ingredients mixed together in a bowl. I started by adding Huel powder first, then milk, and mixed it into a homogeneous, thick mixture. Then I added all the other ingredients and stirred.

The top 6 muffins have an additional topping of crashed walnuts mixed with cinnamon sugar and sprinkled on top, before baking.

Baked 350 F for 30 minutes.

The results:. Taste is good, but texture may not be correct. The middle of the muffin was still a bit uncooked (although safe to eat). I microwaved one muffin for 1 minute and it solidified the center a bit. It was good heated up with butter or peanut buttee. I then popped the muffins back in for another 15 minutes. I have yet to taste these others since I am stuffed from sampling my baking.

I borrowed this recipe from a YouTube blogger and substituted 3 cups of oats with 3 cups of Huel. I also had to use twice the amount of milk that she did because 1 cup of milk was inadequate to dissolve the Huel. Everything else was the same as her recipe. She baked her recipe for 30 minutes. But as stated above, this is not enough.

I think that Huel based stuff may need to bake longer than an oat based recipe. The muffins have a natural light brown color and so it may be deceiving. It looks like it was burning in the oven at the end of the 30 minutes, but that was just the natural color. It was not burned.

Or perhaps I need to cut the Huel amount to 2 cups instead of 3. 3 cups of Huel is denser than 3 cups of rolled oats. Or perhaps if I used more applesauce it might help.

The taste itself was quite good. The apple pieces soften up like they do in apple pie. So the ingredients work well together. It’s a matter of titrating the right amount of Huel, milk, and applesauce to get the correct texture, as well as cooking long enough.

3 Likes

Banana Huel Cookies

Two different variations.

Top rack are:
3 mashed bananas
1.5 cups Huel Vanilla powder
0.5 cups water
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup chopped walnut and pecan

Baked at 350 F for 25 minutes.

Start by mashing banans and then adding Huel and water. Then add the chocolate and nuts. This was a very thick batter. I probably should have used more water. The middle feels like it’s still dough like. Although it’s perfectly safe to eat since all ingredients themselves can be eaten without baking. They look burned but they are not. The color is just really brown since the batter was super thick.

The bottom rack is a variation:

3 mashed bananas
1.5 cups Huel
1 cup water (this made the batter thinner)
6 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon honey

Also baked at 350 F for 25 minutes.

This batter was much easier to deal with and I spooned it onto the cookie sheet. It is mildly sweet. The cookies are soft. I am a rabid peanut butter fan so these suit me fine. Other people may want to reduce the amount of peanut butter and then use 2 tablespoon of honey. Banana, oats, honey, and peanut butter all blend together we’ll, taste wise.

As I learned from my muffins, I may need to bake these a little longer. Huel products may take longer to bake than their non-Huel counterparts.

I am stuffed now from sampling my muffins and cookies.

4 Likes

Regular muffin. See the apples and raisins?

Special topping. Nuts and cinnamon sugar coating.

2 Likes

The banana huel peanut butter honey cookie. It’s soft and bendable.

You can see the nuts and chocolate chips. This was thick.

5 Likes

Banana Huel Cookies 2.0

This is the superior recipe. Using milk.

4 mashed bananas
2 cups Huel
2 cup milk of your choice
0.5 cup water, more or less, to thin the batter to desired thiness
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
6 to 8 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
1 to 2 tablespoon honey
0.3 to 0.5 cup chopped nuts of choice (walnuts and pecans for me)

I preheated oven to 350 F. I then put the yellow bananas in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes to ripen them a bit.

I mashed bananas to a paste. Added Huel. Added milk. Then whisked until homogeneous. I added little bits of water here and there to thin. Added the rest of ingredients.

Spooned onto two cookie sheets. I did two heaping tablespoon fulls for each cookie. Baked at 350 F for 45 to 50 minutes. Yes, you gotta bake them longer than regular cookies. This made the outer layer crisp with a soft inner part.

Make your cookies thinner for more crispness throughout.

Taste is quite good.

4 Likes

Not many bakers “titrate” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The pictures made me hungry

4 Likes

But pharmacists titrate :grinning:.

3 Likes

Will be trying this recipe or something like it :slight_smile:

What’s your elevation? After moving, I discovered my old recipes are underbaked always. Never realized elevation mattered before I moved. I increase the temperature 25 to 50 degrees now.

1 Like

OK I gave baking with Huel a whirl. Here is what I used:

• 1 Tbsp (21g), Raw & Unfiltered Honey

• 7.80 oz, Applesauce - Unsweetened - 111 G. (3.9 Oz) (this amounts to two containers)

• 1 Tbsp or 12 grams, Powdered Peanut Powder

• 1.50 tsp, Clabber Girl

• 0.50 tsp, Baking Soda

• 4 g (1 tsp), Pure Vanilla Extract

• 0.50 tsp(s), Salt Coarse Kosher

• 1 TBSP, Saigon Ground Cinnamon

• 0.25 tbsp, Spices, nutmeg, ground

• 1 egg, Egg - Jumbo

• 2 g, Pure Monk (Julian's Bakery)

• 9 gram, Chia Seeds

• 10.60 oz, Oikos - Plain (also two small containers of these)

• 2 medium banana, Banana

• 2 cups or about 275 g, Unflavored & Unsweetened V1.0-am

• 0.5 cup, walnuts pieces

• 60 g Semisweet Chocolate Chips by Guittard

I used a hand mixer to smash the the banana, then added all the wet stuff. After that, I added the other ingredients (except Huel, walnuts, and chocolate chips), and last in blended in the HUEL. I sprinkled some Huel on my walnuts and chocolate chips and mixed that around in the Huel. Finally, I mixed in the walnuts and chocolate chips into the batter by hand no blender.

I preheated the oven to 400 degrees. I divided the batter up into a standard 12-cup muffin tin with parchment paper cup liners. I skipped the step about not overfilling because I had too much batter. The batter was THICK so I hoped it wouldn’t spill over while baking. It really did rise quite a bit, but it did not spill over. I baked for 15 minutes. But, this left them undercooked. So, I baked for another 5 minutes. They smelled so good while baking! I could smell the apple and cinnamon.

Cooled in pan for 10 minutes, then removed from pan.

I’ll be honest, I think I added too much salt and could probably skip this or do a pinch (not that tasted salty). Maybe a whole tablespoon of cinnamon was overkill, too! lol I don’t know, my partner really loves it! The chocolate adds sweetness to that not so sweet base, but some people might want to skip that part. I don’t mind the lack of sweetness in the batter itself, I like it, but you could add more honey or other sweetener. I think adding another banana would also add sweetness. Note that I used unflavored and unsweetened Huel. I also think that these should be baked 20-25 minutes. I modified from this recipe here, which said to bake for 15. I also used a hand mixer not a blender as done in the original recipe.

EDIT to recipe! I can’t tell if these are undercooked or it’s the texture or what! Maybe bake another 10 minutes at 350 degress on top of 25 minutes at 400 degrees? The texture is quite moist and almost gooey, but still bread-like. The chocolate makes it taste amazing! lol

I added this recipe to myfitnesspal and it amounts to 195 calories per muffin. Here is the nutritional breakdown according to myfitnesspal:

Here are some pictures pre-baking and after-baking:

As you can see in this last photo, mixing the chips with HUEL didn’t really stop them from sinking to the bottom.

5 Likes

Best response, ever.

1 Like

My newest batch of muffins was properly cooked this time. I baked them for 65 minutes. However, the muffin lining paper is stuck to them so it’s hard to peel it off. Next time I will just spray the muffin tin and not use those paper liners.

For my cookies, I baked for 60 minutes and it turned out great.

Any chance you crunched the numbers and know how many calories are in your cookies/muffins? They sound delicious, but I am wary…

(Many delicious things are not so good for me!)

Word. I can look at the formula and calculate a total calorie for the batch. Then it’s just a matter of dividing it by the number I made. I make each cookie with two heaping tablespoon fulls of the batter, so mine are pretty big. The muffins are about 2 and 1/2 heaping tablespoons.

Give me some time and I can come up with the number. On initial estimate, I’d say that each of these are a good 300 to 500 calorie range each.

Nice! I might need to double my cooking time as well then. Some people recommend spraying the liners as well if you use them. I used a brownish one that’s made out of parchment paper and those didn’t stick at all without spraying. So, I don’t know.

Also, in my fitness pal it’s really to easy make a recipe or meal and enter all the ingredients. Then you tell it the number of servings and it breaks it all down for you.

2 Likes

Thought I’d amend my thread instead of start a new one. I just found a very easy recipe using ripe bananas.

1. Ripe bananas. Smashed up. I even microwaved them for 45 seconds to help soften.
  2. Vanilla Huel (not pictured here, but is in these cookies)
  3. Traditional Oats or whole grain cereal
  4. Chia seeds (optional). can use other seed if wanted.
  5. Mix in cinnamon, nutmeg, and or pumpkin pie spice
    Mix all together and make it a thick mix. I didn’t measure. So just wing it.

Put on a baking sheet. Push them down and together on the sheet. I did cheat and spray a little bit of olive oil to keep from sticking. I baked at 325 F for 30 minutes. You don’t want too much heat. They end up fairly crispy on outside and chewy on inside.

1 Like