Anyone can compare 3.0 vs Black

Has anyone used both 3.0 and Black and can compare them. I’m a newbie having only gone through one month of 1.1. I now have an order of Black and find that it really gives me a sour taste along the sides of my tongue when I drink it. Quite unpleasant. I can drink it if I mix it with milk but with water I have to essentially gulp in down and wince. I’ve read the feedback on 3.0 which doesn’t seem to be overall positive. Wondering what to do next as I’m not sure I want to continue with Black but concerned about trying 3.0. Feedback from anyone who’s tried both? (Additional note. I’m comparing the chocolate flavor for each. Didn’t really care for the vanilla or unflavored. Thanks in advance.)

There are just as many people who think that 3.0 is an improvement over 1.1 as the other way around. And probably just as many people who like Vanilla more than Chocolate vs the other way around. My father-in-law, for example, can’t stand the Chocolate flavor and likes Vanilla just fine.

So the way people feel about flavors isn’t a very good indicator of how you’ll perceive them, but if you read enough comparisons, you might be able to find one from someone who feels similarly to you about other flavors and maybe draw a conclusion from that.

You might check the Huel subreddit too.

Good thought. Thanks.

I’ve tried both 3.0 and Black chocolate. I’d caveat this by saying that I blend and refrigerate for at least 4-5 hours before drinking.

In short, both are different but tasty in their own unique way. I find 3.0 to be slightly thicker with a milder, even flavor. Not overly sweet and the cocoa is very noticeable. I think I like it a little more than Black. I find it weirdly comforting to drink.

Black is smooth but does have a specific after-taste. Some have described it as “plastic” or “chemical”…but I don’t think it’s that. It’s a slight bitterness after the initial sweetness. I don’t find it unpleasant and after 3-4 my taste buds adjusted and it was less noticeable.

So overall 3.0 is better tasting for me - but as somebody else noticed taste is highly personal.

What you are tasting In the Black is the flax. It is pretty pronounced. I do find it more filling without the oats. I’m not sure i will continue with the black however because the fiber doesn’t agree with my system, even after 3 -4 weeks. I’ve not specifically tried 3.0, but I found the previous version to be a little more textured and thicker, again due to the oats, but it didn’t have the flax flavor. I also add a scoop of casein protein which gives it a smoother feel and it seems to work better for me.

1 Like

I think you’re right about the flax. One of my kids has an allergy to eggs so - when we bake - I often use flax as an egg substitute. It works ok but you can occasionally detect the slight after-taste of flax in certain recipes. I replaced 3.0 with Black for breakfast last week and it did keep me well-filled until well after lunch. I was worried that the lack of slow-digesting oats would make it less-filling, but that really wasn’t the case. I think I’m going to stick with both for another couple of months and see how things continue to work out…

Well, as one person commented, everybody’s taste buds are different. I’m not thrilled with Black but going to keep with it and see how it goes. Will try one bag of 3.0 shortly to see what I think of that as well to test and be sure.

In the meantime, I’ve orders three months of 1.0 that I can at least cut the others 1:1 with as needed until I make a decision.

Thanks to all who responded. Good community.

2 Likes

Comparing flavor:
If you dislike the flavor of 3.0 vanilla, you’ll really dislike the Black Edition Vanilla. Either the lack of carbs, or increased pea protein change the overall flavor.

Comparing cost:
Black Edition is a lot lot more expensive. I’d only buy it if you want a high protein diet. I buy a few bags of Black, and do 1x serving per day. The rest is all 3.0

Texture:
I think about the same.

1 Like

I have tried every powdered Huel product to date and have to say tha Huel Black Vanilla is my favorite. I had been a UU consumer before black came out due to a negative reaction I was having to sucralose. I liked normal Huel chocolate and found normal vanilla tolerable, now I am finding Huel Black chocolate tolerable.

1 Like

Not sure how willing you are to use add-ins, but I drink Huel Black Vanilla, but always blend it with either (a) 50g spinach + 90g frozen berries or (b) 25g peanut butter powder + 50g spinach. For (b), I reduce the amount of Huel to only 75g, which seems to work well. Both are delicious. So if you are trying to force down the black, consider adding some berries or something to it (if you have a blender available).

1 Like

I’m curious other than the higher protein in Black, if anyone has experience for the purpose of being gluten free.

I’m suspecting I’m developing gluten intolerance and plan to go with a gluten free option my next order. I’m tempted to cut carbs back entirely with Black, but I don’t favor the cost increase.

I currently go U/U, 3 of the original, sugar to taste and flavor boosts. I don’t like original vanilla and I only like chocolate and berry with other flavors added, otherwise the sweetener aftertaste just hits wrong.

I started Huel with 3.0 and really liked it - the vanilla is better than the chocolate. Wanting to lower my carbs I just started the Black vanilla and I have to say the texture is comparable but the flavor profile is completely different. 3.0 is very oat forward and slightly sweeter - which I like. Black is very pea forward and less sweet. As others have said everyone’s taste buds are different. Black also has an after taste which someone said was the flax. So Black is definitely a different experience, I am wanting lower carbs so I will keep with it but will probably switch to a hybrid and do one scoop of each after I finish this round of Black.

I’m always curious about why people choose Black because they “want to lower carbs” instead wanting to increase protein. Having a goal for more protein in your diet is something that I understand.

Is there some perception that carbs are “bad” outside of Keto diets? Why the carb hate? Serious question!

1 Like

It is not a hate for carbs. At my age (54) I have found that my body responds better to a lower carb diet thus the need for Huel Black. The increased protein is certainly a benefit and overall the protein to carb ratio is better. Low carb, high protein is what works best for me.

UPDATE: Enjoying Huel Black and will continue with it 100% - no need to go with the hybrid option mentioned above. Have tried a couple Huel Hacks and have enjoyed them. I add cinnamon to my breakfast Huel and tend to go with straight Huel Black for lunch. I am benefiting from the higher protein and lower carbs in Black - lost 6 lbs. in the first two weeks since switching to Black. Now getting ready to start my subscription as I am a happy hueligan! :grinning:

1 Like

I just ran out of 1.1 supplies and decided to try out Black edition.
Overall it tastes a bit better. The Stevia tastes more natural where the sucralose always tasted like it didn’t blend in.
The texture is similar to 3.0 but without the clumping issue. It slides easier than 1.1, presumably because there’s no gluten.
and I don’t know what causes the rotten taste with 3.0 but I think it might be the kelp.

It’s similar enough to 1.1 I will keep buying it.

1 Like

I have tried both 3.0 and Black. The 3.0 gives me gas…and I’ve used it a lot and still have four bags to go. The Black does not. Also the lower carb option allows me to have a tastey snack or something with carbs should I want it and still fit my macros for the day. I keep track of fat, carbs, and protein. On days I know Ill be eating something besides Huel, I make sure I drink mostly Black so I can still fit into my carb budget for the day. On days I do not plan to eat anything but Huel - I have one scoop Black and one scoop 3.0 for each meal.
Carbs are not bad but those of us who lift for athleticism or physique…we pay very close attention to what we eat and what quantity. Some people respond better to a higher fat diet while others a higher carb. Having 3.0 and Black allows for me to be flexible with what my goals are whether that is leaning out or bulking up.

I do prefer the taste of Black as 3.0 has a strong oat flavor. I drink only chocolate flavored now. I may give up on the 3.0 and just incorporate a few more carbs into my diet instead of one scoop 3.0 and one scoop Black once I run out of what I have on hand. 3.0 just messes my stomach up probably due to sucralose. Anywho they are both great but Black is my preference.

Also - I use an immersion blender and really cold water for my shakes as it makes it smooth and no clumps